Favourite books

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
so waking up to an extra chilly morning i decided to have some tea and read a book while the joints warmed up. It got me wondering what are some of your favourites?

Ive read this book many times but it always reminds me why i gotinto computing in the first place.

Hackers by steven levy - its basically a chronicle of the first computer hackers from the 50s to the 80s, and by hackers i mean real ones, its not about number crunching or stealing its about adventures with the first computers and the fun and personalities and moviations of the first "elite" well worth it imo

ill rant more later

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I really like the Captain Blood series. Swashbuckling tales of an Irish doctor turned pirate, terrorizing the Caribbean. Very well-written and fun. Hard to find good pirate books, so these are real gems.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Currently reading The Name of the Wind. Fantasy series with magic and swords and stuff. Pretty good so far.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My two all time favorites

Animal Farm by George Orwell - one of the few books I was forced to read in school that I truly loved. A cautionary tale of how the world really works at times. Using animals to show the worst in men somehow made it more painful to me.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker - a beautifully told tale. Aimed at the teen audience but a story anyone will love. A horror tale that at its core is about faith, hope, and love. Just thinking of it makes me want to read it again. I've loaned it to many people over the years and it became lost. I hope someone is reading it right now.

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
My two all time favorites

Animal Farm by George Orwell - one of the few books I was forced to read in school that I truly loved. A cautionary tale of how the world really works at times. Using animals to show the worst in men somehow made it more painful to me.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker - a beautifully told tale. Aimed at the teen audience but a story anyone will love. A horror tale that at its core is about faith, hope, and love. Just thinking of it makes me want to read it again. I've loaned it to many people over the years and it became lost. I hope someone is reading it right now.

George Orwell and Clive Barker are great choises. 1984 and "the Books of Blood" are timeless masterpieces.
Well, actually I´m reading "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream " by Harlan Ellison, a collection of science-fiction short stories. But beware, these stories are not Mainstream, they are mostly bizarr and don´t expect easy access. Still, challenging and unique stories, satisfying a mind, searching for something "new". .

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
its also a fun game! i have no mouth that is

Well the specific Story called "I have no mouth but I must scream" is not a real kind of "fun game", it´s about aliens torturing human beings in very special ways" So, it´s at least a single-sided fun game for the aliens;)

To complete the sentence: "Well, I have a mouth, but we´re losing our Democracy and our freedom in Germany!"

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I love the music in Hackers! But I'd have to say one of my favorite books is "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Can you guys believe that was Danny Devito in the movie?

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
Danny DeVito seems to fit in a Hobbit-Suit in this movie. But what a great actor. This proves: Size isn´t everything.
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is one of my favorite movies of all time. Beside "The Shining" imo the best movie with Nicholson. But I dislike the Soundtrack of Cuckoo´s nest. It fits, but it´s getting on my nerves.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
George Orwell and Clive Barker are great choises. 1984 and "the Books of Blood" are timeless masterpieces.
Well, actually I´m reading "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream " by Harlan Ellison, a collection of science-fiction short stories. But beware, these stories are not Mainstream, they are mostly bizarr and don´t expect easy access. Still, challenging and unique stories, satisfying a mind, searching for something "new". .
___
Thomas Paine, Poe & H.G. Well's books imho

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Thumbs up for Thief of Always. One of only 2 books I have read start to finish without a break. Also the only book I've read 3 times.
My other favourite is Stephen King's "eyes of the dragon".

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.

In the year 2044, the world is gripped by an energy crisis and global warming, causing widespread social problems and economic stagnation. The primary escape for most people is a virtual universe called the OASIS, which is accessed with a visor and haptic gloves. It functions both as an MMORPG and as a virtual society, with its currency being the most stable currency in the world. It was created by James Halliday, who has recently died. His will left a series of clues towards an Easter Egg within the OASIS that would grant whoever found it both his fortune and control of the OASIS itself. This has led to an intense interest in all aspects of 80s pop culture, which Halliday made clear would be essential to finding his egg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

I read it last year and I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation (Stephen Spielberg is the director). The movie is scheduled to come out in March 2018.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thumbs up for Thief of Always. One of only 2 books I have read start to finish without a break. Also the only book I've read 3 times.
My other favourite is Stephen King's "eyes of the dragon".

I've read a few King books, but never even heard of Eyes of the Dragon. Will have to look into that one.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I've read a few King books, but never even heard of Eyes of the Dragon. Will have to look into that one.

It's quite old (from the 1980's) and a not your average King story (medieval setting with a kingdom and all). However it features re-appearing characters like Randall Flagg so it's relevant for the whole "King universe"
The individual chapters are all quite short which makes it really easy to keep on reading "just the next chapter" and the book itself is also not overly long.
If you intend to read it don't spoil yourself the experience by reading the plot on wiki :)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It's quite old (from the 1980's) and a not your average King story (medieval setting with a kingdom and all). However it features re-appearing characters like Randall Flagg so it's relevant for the whole "King universe"
The individual chapters are all quite short which makes it really easy to keep on reading "just the next chapter" and the book itself is also not overly long.
If you intend to read it don't spoil yourself the experience by reading the plot on wiki :)

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.