Hardcore Mode

mattenno

Aug 17, 2012
I love the current play on The Pinball Arcade. It feels like real pinball, and I can only imagine that it will get better. However, I find that the scores I am able to achieve do not mirror what is common on the tables in real life.

I think it should be "hard" to get 85 million on Medieval Madness. However, I can pretty easily get 185 million.

What if Farsight developed an even more realistic and unpredictable "hardcore" mode for these tables? Make some of the ball returns out of the castle center drain, like they can in real life. Make some balls shoot into the outlanes with no chance of recovery. Do things that mimic the unpredictability of a ball in play on a real table. I think this would add to the "challenge" of getting a high score, and add to the time I spend trying to get a high score.

Any thoughts?

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Ball Spin = unpredictability.

This is my current number 1 'want' in the game.

The game is just too perfect, bounce over from kick-outs happen the exact same way each time, this never happens in real life.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Right now I think the physics engine is pretty good for a realistic pinball game featuring real tables, sure it could be better, but I don't think extra spin is what would improve it. Adding extra spin would probably kill off the casual fanbase in one fell swoop if it made shots even more unpredictable, heck it'd probably even annoy the hardcore fans who would complain that it's even harder than reality.

I think it's really best to wait a little bit until patched flipper physics are implemented before asking for some key changes to the games engine which could ruin the game forever.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's not extra spin, there isn't any simulated spin as it stands.
If there isn't, there may be some soon. One of the things that makes Twilight Zone's Powerball "interesting" is that being lighter than a steel pinball, it picks up angular momentum very quickly and tends to bounce and backspin in weird ways. It would be hard to accurately simulate the Powerball without any provision for spin.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I would also love to see an optional Hardcore mode as well. Although the game and the latest tables have really come long way in the last few months I do find it a bit easy.

Ball spin is something that isn't in VP yet, and I really hope Farsight can implement it one day.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
They could learn something from Pro Pinball, just observed the kickouts on there behaving differently each time, you can't just assume the bounce over will happen the same each time.

Matt

Sep 13, 2012
I'd love to see this as a setting in the options or as a reward for finishing the Wizard goals.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Right now I think the physics engine is pretty good for a realistic pinball game featuring real tables, sure it could be better, but I don't think extra spin is what would improve it. Adding extra spin would probably kill off the casual fanbase in one fell swoop if it made shots even more unpredictable, heck it'd probably even annoy the hardcore fans who would complain that it's even harder than reality.

I think it's really best to wait a little bit until patched flipper physics are implemented before asking for some key changes to the games engine which could ruin the game forever.

Pinball FX2/Zen have simulated spin and it didn't stop them from selling well. I feel something is wrong when there are worries about ruining the game forever over things that may be important to making the game the best it possibly could be.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Realistic and subtle Ball spin, where real world physics would apply is a good thing, but the exaggerated spin of Pinball FX2 seems a bit over the top in my opinion.

Zacharry

Banned
Aug 29, 2012
This hardcore mode is difficult to produce because it is based on reality and it is also unpredictable. I just can't believe how it can be tackled. I am very much confused. This kind of table and hard core mode is a long way to achieve but it not difficult also.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.