HDTV, Game Mode, Lag vs IQ

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
So is Plasma the way to go then, for no lag without compromising image quality?

I wouldn't recommend a plasma for gaming. While burn in isn't really an issue for modern plasma TVs, image retention is and gaming is usually the culprit. Also there are plenty of plasmas with bad lag. It's just like LCD, there are good ones and bad ones. There's also a weird phenomena on plasma where you get smearing of the picture when the frame rate drops below 60fps. Like any thing else some TVs are better than others. I just didn't want you to think that any plasma TV would be a good gaming TV.

Here's another article that will give you some ideas for TVs to look for that will be good gamers.

http://www.cnet.com/news/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

GregoroV

Jan 14, 2014
There's also a weird phenomena on plasma where you get smearing of the picture when the frame rate drops below 60fps. Like any thing else some TVs are better than others. I just didn't want you to think that any plasma TV would be a good gaming TV

Im useing plasma for years, never noticed this phenomena. Maybe cheap models are haveing this issue.
IR is still an issue, but you wont have clouding, banding ect.
Also most lcd tvs cant display full hd picture in motion, thats why the picture looks so bad sometimes in game mode, without all this "motion plus" options, which are to cover technical limitation. They are good for movies (but causeing soap opera effect), but still due prossesing, introduceing artefacts.
So in my opinion its a mixed bag. All technologies are haveing their perks and downfalls. Im a gamer, i dont play from time to time, and plasma which i have is good for gameing. I think it is more important what model it is and what company made the tv. Cheap or not well done tv will display all sorts of problems despite if its plasma or lcd.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Im useing plasma for years, never noticed this phenomena. Maybe cheap models are haveing this issue.
IR is still an issue, but you wont have clouding, banding ect.
Also most lcd tvs cant display full hd picture in motion, thats why the picture looks so bad sometimes in game mode, without all this "motion plus" options, which are to cover technical limitation. They are good for movies (but causeing soap opera effect), but still due prossesing, introduceing artefacts.
So in my opinion its a mixed bag. All technologies are haveing their perks and downfalls. Im a gamer, i dont play from time to time, and plasma which i have is good for gameing. I think it is more important what model it is and what company made the tv. Cheap or not well done tv will display all sorts of problems despite if its plasma or lcd.

I don't ever run any of that motion crap in any mode. The only thing I ever run is a setting to deal with pulldown judder in movies. But that problem happens with any TV technology because it's a source issue and not a TV issue. Any other motion setting is going to give you the soap opera effect and make lag worse.

The F7100 series looks good in game mode as long as it's calibrated for it. The response times on LCD TVs still lags behind plasma. This is the time it takes to flip a pixel from black to white and to black again. However in the last couple of years there has been great improvement in LCD response times. The motion issues have also improved with it.

I wish I had the room for both LCD and plasma TVs in a large screen. I would definitely be watching bd movies on the plasma. But I just watched Game of Thrones last night for the first time on the new Samsung and it is so much better than my 6 year old Sony Bravia 52" LCD that it replaced! I couldn't be happier! 65" of head lopping good times! :D

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Not true at all. The current and last year Sony Lcd tv's have the lowest input lag of any commercially available sets ever. My old pioneer kuro krp500a had about 33ms of lag, compared to 9 on my Sony W6 42 and I think hdtvtest said the newest model went as low as 6ms. All these figures are slightly higher on the Leo bodnar test however, which wasn't available when the pioneer kuro ruled the roost.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Not true at all. The current and last year Sony Lcd tv's have the lowest input lag of any commercially available sets ever. My old pioneer kuro krp500a had about 33ms of lag, compared to 9 on my Sony W6 42 and I think hdtvtest said the newest model went as low as 6ms. All these figures are slightly higher on the Leo bodnar test however, which wasn't available when the pioneer kuro ruled the roost.

Who and what are you disagreeing with?

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'm not sure but he's right that last year's Sony models have some nice stats.. I might need to get me one of those.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Indeed, its not LCD that is at fault its the processing chip.

As SmartTVs are getting smarter this has a knock-on effect that their CPUs/DSPs are getter faster, which in turn reduces the input lag. The actual display panel is really only a small part of the equation and usually have very low latency on their own. Also, a LOT of TVs actually have the same panels, the differences are mostly in the processing BEFORE outputting it to the panel itself.

I believe Sony use Sharp panels now? That could explain why their latency improved as they would will be focusing more on the processing hardware/software to differentiate it from other TVs with the same panels.

Last edited:

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Who and what are you disagreeing with?
Mr brakel, twas you, just the bit where you said Lcd lags behind plasma in response times. Sorry, I should have put that. I use my phone and didn't want to quote the whole post.
Hope that helps.
My pioneer was the best TV I ever owned.
My Sony W6 42 is the best gaming TV I've ever owned.

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
Samsung 58" plasma. Not using any game mode. TV also color calibrated with Spears & Munsil blu-ray disc.

No lag and color looks fantastic. Plasma still cant be beat in regards to individual pixel response which is way less than 1ms.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Mr brakel, twas you, just the bit where you said Lcd lags behind plasma in response times. Sorry, I should have put that. I use my phone and didn't want to quote the whole post.
Hope that helps.
My pioneer was the best TV I ever owned.
My Sony W6 42 is the best gaming TV I've ever owned.

I was talking only about response time and not what we call "lag". I confused the matter by using the word lag in the sentence. GregoroV and I had expanded the original scope of this thread from lag to include the pros and cons of plasma and LCD. He had mentioned motion issues with LCD technology. Motion has a lot to do with response time (the time for a pixel to flip from black to white and back to black again) and LCDs were really bad at response time. Now LCDs are much better which means that they can display motion well without turning on the motion settings that cause the soap opera effect. CRT TVs have essentially zero response time as the pixels can flip virtually instantaneously. Plasma TVs generally come in second with response times in the low single digit ms. LCDs used to be much worse but the best LCDs are starting to get response times close to plasma. But again this doesn't have anything to do with input lag but it does correlate to motion issues directly.

When it comes to input lag, LCD TVs are generally at the top of the list because response time has very little to do with input lag. There are some plasma TVs that make the great category when it comes to input lag but just like everything else you have to watch what you buy.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.