"Limp Flipper" on Creature from the Black Lagoon + Translucent ball bug still present

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
"Limp Flipper" on Creature from the Black Lagoon + Translucent ball bug still present

I took an extended break from Pinball Arcade on the PS3, and there has most likely been a couple of updates since I've last played this table.

Weird flipper feel
I noticed now that when the ball gets to the very tip of the flippers it doesn't act right when hit. It almost seems like the tips of the flippers don't feel solid. So in most cases when I was trying for the outter lanes the ball just went up the opposite return lanes instead.

I played for a good hour or so and it felt like this for the entire extent if the game.
I haven't yet noticed this issue on other tables that I've tried.

Ball skin bug still here...
Also, not related to this problem, I'm seeing the "translucent ball" issue, where you use a skinned ball, then change to a table with the default ball, it ends up looking super shiny and very hard to see. The only fix for this seems to be quoting the game and restarting. This is a VERY OLD bug which I mentioned here years ago. I really thought this would have been fixed by now.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Weird flipper feel
I noticed now that when the ball gets to the very tip of the flippers it doesn't act right when hit. It almost seems like the tips of the flippers don't feel solid. So in most cases when I was trying for the outter lanes the ball just went up the opposite return lanes instead.

Same here. I thought it was because I use a new gamepad (a cheap Big Ben wired controller), and the L and R buttons are quite hard on it, compared to an official Sony PS3 gamepad (on which my left stick is broken, this gamepad being a 8 years old Sixaxis).

When flipping with the tip of the flippers, it's like the shoot strength is not delivered to the ball, causing an odd horizontal weak shot which goes to the opposite return lanes. (it's different from the input lag thing, which is still noticeable on the most complex tables in 1080i/p)

I haven't yet noticed this issue on other tables that I've tried.

I noticed it on JY too (in this month tourney).

Ball skin bug still here...
Also, not related to this problem, I'm seeing the "translucent ball" issue, where you use a skinned ball, then change to a table with the default ball, it ends up looking super shiny and very hard to see. The only fix for this seems to be quoting the game and restarting. This is a VERY OLD bug which I mentioned here years ago. I really thought this would have been fixed by now.

Yeah, it has been reported a lot of times before the super-mega-patch (two years ago), so the fix could be implemented in it, but it wasn't.

Either FS doesn't know how to fix it easily, or they simply doesn't bother with it and/or doesn't care.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Same here. I thought it was because I use a new gamepad (a cheap Big Ben wired controller), and the L and R buttons are quite hard on it, compared to an official Sony PS3 gamepad (on which my left stick is broken, this gamepad being a 8 years old Sixaxis).

When flipping with the tip of the flippers, it's like the shoot strength is not delivered to the ball, causing an odd horizontal weak shot which goes to the opposite return lanes. (it's different from the input lag thing, which is still noticeable on the most complex tables in 1080i/p)

I noticed it on JY too (in this month tourney).

Yeah, it has been reported a lot of times before the super-mega-patch (two years ago), so the fix could be implemented in it, but it wasn't.

Either FS doesn't know how to fix it easily, or they simply doesn't bother with it and/or doesn't care.

Well I'm glad to know it's not just me, but it's too bad that they haven't addressed it.

Good to see you on here again Tann. It's been a while!
I hope to get my PS4 set up soon and try some Pinball Arcade tables on that. I bought the PS4 & Pinball Arcade tables over a year ago, but have been trying to finish up some PS3 games before moving over. I didn't realize I was so behind. :p

Anyway, I should be keeping up on here a bit more once I do that.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
I'll bring the ball issue up to our PSN programmer for the next patch we submit. Hopefully we'll have something soon.

And I'll take a look at our flipper tuning for Creature and Junkyard. Not sure when such a fix will be implemented yet, but hopefully we can get that out soon as well.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I'll bring the ball issue up to our PSN programmer for the next patch we submit. Hopefully we'll have something soon.

And I'll take a look at our flipper tuning for Creature and Junkyard. Not sure when such a fix will be implemented yet, but hopefully we can get that out soon as well.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that you will be checking into this for us.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013

I imagine this sort of thing will be worked out when the updated flipper physics are updated for each table.

BTW, ever play a table with kind of a lame flipper? This just adds to the realism. ;)

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Creature really is tuned ridonkulously easy.

How to fix.
1) remove the rubber on the inlane/outlane dividers, to return the game to factory spec.
2) make it so the left ramp doesn't have 10 working sweet spots (i exaggerate only slightly here)
3) tweak rebounds that miss snackbar to go SDTM at least 50% of the time.
4) reset leaderboards. :)

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Creature really is tuned ridonkulously easy.

How to fix.
1) remove the rubber on the inlane/outlane dividers, to return the game to factory spec.
2) make it so the left ramp doesn't have 10 working sweet spots (i exaggerate only slightly here)
3) tweak rebounds that miss snackbar to go SDTM at least 50% of the time.
4) reset leaderboards. :)

Creature was voted one of the first 8 tables to get tuned to harder tournament settings, and there will be a separate leaderboard when using these settings. We'll see how it actually turns out, but some changes are definitely on the way at least.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I imagine this sort of thing will be worked out when the updated flipper physics are updated for each table.

BTW, ever play a table with kind of a lame flipper? This just adds to the realism. ;)

Yep, I've played many a table with weak flippers, but this is way different.
It's more like playing with a flipper where the ball goes partially through the tip of it.

azsparky

Feb 4, 2014
I have those two issues as well, plus one more that seems to have just recently shown up.
I bought Xenon. And, I noticed that challenges has gone live, so I was in the Williams challenge, and lo and behold, my game just shut the ps3 completely down. Like a system reboot or a hard reset or something. It does this in challenges, and when I'm playing Xenon.
Is there a fix for this?
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.