Multiball Ghost-Ball Collisions

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
It depends on the speed of the ball. The physics are updated 60 times per second if the ball is moving slow. If it is moving fast it can be more than 300 times per second. I'm not sure it's possible to fix the illusions of not seeing the collision.

As an example, say you have a ball going toward a wall. In one frame it moves 300 pixels. The wall is 150 pixels away. The ball bounces back (ignoring elasticity, friction etc), it would return to the same location in that frame. So for 2 frames the ball wouldn't move. It still hits the wall, but you wouldn't be able to see it because it's in between rendered frames.

In real life we don't see things in frames, so it's not an issue in reality.

Supermans

Jun 19, 2012
It depends on the speed of the ball. The physics are updated 60 times per second if the ball is moving slow. If it is moving fast it can be more than 300 times per second. I'm not sure it's possible to fix the illusions of not seeing the collision.

As an example, say you have a ball going toward a wall. In one frame it moves 300 pixels. The wall is 150 pixels away. The ball bounces back (ignoring elasticity, friction etc), it would return to the same location in that frame. So for 2 frames the ball wouldn't move. It still hits the wall, but you wouldn't be able to see it because it's in between rendered frames.

This makes perfect sense. The only solution would be running the game on a PC at the maximum FPS with a high end video card and having. monitor capable of displaying more than 600fps. Aren't plasma tvs capable of that?

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012

interesting, so the problem is in the tpa's engine becouse of the render vs physics speed, just as countcb suggested... my apologies to the count then

mea-culpa.jpg

and mike, thanks for all this tidbits of information... keep up the good work on this excellent game (even if it has an odd bug here or there) :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.