Original Pinball Games and Impossible Physics

Zacharry

Banned
Aug 29, 2012
Oh yes I also play this game but at some times it becomes high that it becomes impossible to download the pinball advanced version. Well if you ask what makes a good machine I would definitely say it is the component of the game and in between what you feel about the game.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I have all the Zen tables and keep trying to like them but...they just aren't very fun. They just don't seem to have a knack for fun pinball table design--at all. In so many of their tables you can be hitting ramps and stuff all over the table, and pretty much nothing is happening--no sounds, voice samples, mission completions...just nothing. They don't seem to understand that hitting the ball into things should result in fun stuff happening. Their Marvel tables have been a *little* better at this than their earlier stuff, but they still have a *long* way to go even to get close to a mediocre Bally or Williams table.

And I don't understand why they think the ball should be so heavy.

I'd agree that Timeshock may be the closest I've seen to a really good traditional pinball feeling in a video-only table, but the simulated tables in Farsight's games are still way more enjoyable to me.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
The claim to fame for Pinball Arcade is that it is a pinball machine simulator of faithfully recreated machines, while all other pinball video games are original creations but don't capture the feel of the machines.

Just like real tables, TPA has its own predictabilities. Unlike real tables, video games may never be able to recreate real world tables. If you haven't had a lot of experience playing real tables you wouldn't know about clean vs dirty surfaces, raised inserts due to heating, ball spin against surfaces, selective bumper spots, etc. All these things exist in real games and would be very difficult to do in a video game. I personally wouldn't want to see a 100% recreation of a pinball game because I want to play the real games. And besides, so far all the Farsight pinball games are WAY easier than the real thing.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I just got Epic Quest this morning and I feel that that is a table that caters well to Zen's Strengths, though it does feel a bit "samey" since the fights are all the same, that's really my only gripe. The Marvel tables are pretty good, well the 4 that I've played. PBFX2 was a stop-gap for me between no XBOX pinball to TPA since I had to wait for it. I enjoy it for what it is. It accomplishes what it attempts really well and is rather enjoyable.

I still prefer TPA as I like real pinball, but sometimes I need to have something different.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I would like to perform the techniques that Cayle George does in the Iron Man PAPA 14 finals at 9:47.
http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/papa-14-finals-iron-man/
As the physics are getting better and better, I am very confident that we will be able to do it in the future.
I think it's something to do with the flippers not having a state between resting and flipped (or a constant velocity), even a slight release and press on TPA sends the ball zooming off as if it were a full power shot.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Right, hopefully the flipper improvements will come soon. Booby (note to self: stop watching this adult movies while posting here! It's Bobby, not Booby!) mentioned they are working on it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.