Pinball in Japan? Exploring a slice of Americana in Osaka, Japan.

Yukendoit

Apr 3, 2016
Hello all you wonderful people! I'll admit that I'm not a collector or an expert on pinball but I do really enjoy some tables. I moved out to Japan about seven months ago to become a teacher and boy it's been a lot of fun so far. I was lucky enough to get placed near a major city, that being Osaka, Japan which if Tokyo is New York then Osaka would be like Japan's L.A. So after a while of exploring and slowly trying to learn the language I came across something near the Osaka tower called Smart Ball or スマートー・バールー for those of you that can read Katakana. Imagine a mix of pachinko mixed with a simple pinball machine.

maxresdefault.jpg

You put in your money that you want to play with. Balls come out over the board, you pull the plunger, if your balls go into the right holes you get more balls that come across the board. When you are finished you inform the person working there you are done, they count the balls and then you can pick out what prizes you want. I.e. candy/chips/pocky. So to beat a dead horse I felt "balls" out of luck because this was pinball but I missed the actual experience of playing a good board.

Then my friend showed me a place inside of an area called Americamura, literally America village. Where you can find not only burger king and mcdonalds competing side by side but also a hidden gem. An awesome pinball arcade called "The silver ball planet" with some amazing games, you do have the classics like twilight zone and addam's family but they also have some good obscure ones like Elton John's pinball machine, three different star wars boards, and my personal favorite two great Indiana Jones boards. When it comes to technicals I know nothing but I did shoot a video if you are interested in seeing my favorite hang out place in Osaka, Japan.
Tell me what you think! And if there's any questions you have let me know!
Post Script,
I'm sorry if this is the wrong topic but it seemed appropriate to put in here.

BandontheRun

Mar 12, 2015
Funny how the American Village in Osaka has a better pinball place than what currently can be easily found in America!

Do you know of a similar place with vids?

Thanks - enjoyed the video!

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Well a trip to Japan has been on my bucket list - now have a reason to check out Osaka. Oh and I have never seen a curving escalator before. Thanks for the share and welcome to the forums!

Yukendoit

Apr 3, 2016
Sorry unfortunately, I don't have know of any place else with videos. But this place is kinda of a hidden gem, but if I find any more I can shoot a video for it!
Osaka is a pretty good town great food if you go make sure you go to dountonburi very iconic place in Osaka. Also very close to this.

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Lol at Bengazi Run :p. Spot on about the Indy tables, looks like an awesome arcade. Maybe someday I can check it out :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.