Table of the Week Club...Week 20: DINER

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, that was a really funny and quite risky monologue to do on national television. The best part was, he knew he was dancing on the razor's edge, almost daring people to be outright offended. That to me is the genius of comedy. That to me was always the difference between Sam Kinnison and Dice, where Sam was being offensive in a manner that made you think, while Dice was just being crass.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
See? I knew it was a bad stereotype for me to be thinking! This is what happens when you live in SoCal and have militant vegans cross your path on a semi regular basis. Speaking of stereotypes...

A vegan, a crossfitter, a butch lesbian, and someone who lives glucose free all walk into a bar. How did the other bar patrons know this? Because they wouldn't shut up about it.
You mean gluten-free?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Okay, finished all the wizards. This table is a lot tougher than I ever would have expected. You don't exactly stumble into those wizards, you actually have to be specific in getting them. For instance, I kept collecting the dine time bonus, only to watch the 7 I'd collected go back to 1. Grrrr. And then getting the Rush 1 and Rush 2 followed by hitting the ramp? Never would have happened for me unless I'd read the instructions.

I'm also impressed with how difficult FarSight tuned this table. This feels much more like what I'd experience on a real table, where bounces are really random and the ball drains equally from both outlanes and the the center. What do you guys think?

invitro

May 4, 2012
Okay, finished all the wizards. This table is a lot tougher than I ever would have expected. You don't exactly stumble into those wizards, you actually have to be specific in getting them. For instance, I kept collecting the dine time bonus, only to watch the 7 I'd collected go back to 1. Grrrr.

I'm also impressed with how difficult FarSight tuned this table. This feels much more like what I'd experience on a real table, where bounces are really random and the ball drains equally from both outlanes and the the center. What do you guys think?

I guess I already said, but yeah, I think it's one of FS's best jobs. And I kept getting the Dine Time too early, too. And I got the Drop Target Bonus like four times before it took, maybe I was exiting the game or the game was crashing or something. But this table is so hard, I haven't been able to break 70M this week. I'm gonna let it rest for a few days. The next tourney will be tough for me as two of the nine tables I don't have a top-100 score on are HD3E and ElDor, my RBIoN is only #77, and my Diner rank is probably only because it hasn't been out long.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I've never played the real table, but I think the number of times the ball goes around in the Cup in TPA, even with a perfect hard shot up the right ramp, kind of defies the laws of physics. I can often get the full bonus (2000000?).

Steve

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
TPA has problems with many spinny elements like that. Taxi's skill shot and HRC's roulette wheel also let the ball spin around an unrealistic number of times. Creature's and Whitewater's whirlpools seem more reasonable, although they feel like the ball is hardcoded to about 3 revolutions rather than really running the physics.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
TPA has problems with many spinny elements like that. Taxi's skill shot and HRC's roulette wheel also let the ball spin around an unrealistic number of times. Creature's and Whitewater's whirlpools seem more reasonable, although they feel like the ball is hardcoded to about 3 revolutions rather than really running the physics.

Creature and WH20 are tables I've sunk a lot of real money into in the past. Creature I've played 3 or 4 different tables in different locations many times. All over 20 years ago of course, but it counts.

Creature's whirlpool seems to be okay, given how steep the TPA table isn't. On a real table you get maybe 4-6 times around per ball in there, so the 3-ish you get in the TPA version seems about right. It's just far too easy to get balls up the left ramp; that shot should be an insta-drain nightmare if you hit it weakly.

WH20, the biggest issue is balls jumping/phasing through the Bigfoot diverter and going to the right flipper instead of into the whirlpool. The whirlpool itself seems fine.

FA have gone on record a few times saying that their real HRC does have a very active roulette wheel. I've only played HRC once though and the roulette wheel was half-broken so I can't comment.

I agree that the cup in Diner though displays some very strange physics. Played Diner once, and didn't get close to making any ramp shots, so again, no comment.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.