The Journeyman Project

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
One of the early underrated computer games was "The Journeyman Project", by Presto Studios. I found it when I bought my first PC, a Compaq. It's a simple game, solve puzzles while traveling thru time, and the Earth joins "The Simbiotry of Peaceful Beings". You play as Gage Blackwood, an agent of the Temporal Security Agency, a time travel agency in the 24th century, and solve puzzles ranging from prehistoric times to the Mars colony. There was scoring, and if you were able to complete the game without violence, you were awarded extra points!

Two sequels were made, JP2: Buried In Time and JP3: The Legecy of Time. Again, the player was Gage Blackwood, but the game play was both richer and had more detailed missions. JP2 was focused on historical events in a Mayan temple in Chichen Itza, the workshop of Leonardo da Vinci and a French castle, while JP3 took Gage to three mythical cities, El Dorado, Atlantis and Shangri La. There were aliens that played important parts in all three games, along with a rouge TSA agent in the Legecy of Time. There was even a sidekick, Arthur. He was a download AI, first featured in JP2 and provided not only hints during gameplay, but was comedy relief too. A fourth sequel was planned, but never made it past the development stage. Several of the characters were played by developers or their friends. The suit that allowed Gage to assume identities of locals in JP3, the Chameleon Suit is on display at UC San Diego Science and Engineering Library. Many of the developers of JP were alumni of UCSD.

I won't revel many details regarding gameplay, just realize this game was released in 1992. It ran on Macs and Windows 3.1 If you're willing to suspend belief for a few hours, JP was a great game. And more than once, I plugged in a set of headphones, turned off the lights, and immersed myself into the game. The soundtrack was nothing short of mind-bending. There was merchandise released, bumper stickers, a tour jacket, coffee cup and what appears to be The Holy Grail, a CD of the soundtrack. If this game had been more popular, I'm sure action figures would've been released. You can still find the games on eBay and Amazon for fairly cheap. If you liked Myst, I think you'll like the Journeyman Project.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.