We need an actual incentive to buy Pro Mode

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I can think of at least two reasons:

1. The Pro mode tables' operator menus take a very long time to implement and test, and Pinbot (the other table in Pack # 14) has a Pro mode. So there may not have been time in that month's release cycle to give Centaur one, too.
  2. When a table is in its Pro mode, the ROM state is preserved from game to game, even across games on other tables or closing/restarting TPA. Some MPUs (like the Bally one in Centaur) may have problems with maintaining their state accurately or may have not been tested fully enough (Centaur was the first table emulating that Bally MPU) at the time of release for FarSight to feel comfortable allowing access to the Pro mode.
However, this is "educated speculation" on my part; I do not have inside information on why Centaur has no Pro mode.

Those are all reasons. Also for Centaur we didn't have a way to handle that kind of "coin door" menu that uses dip switches. We implemented something for it for Flight 2K which could probably be used to do Centaur. But it is a lot of work to make sure it all works.

To the other messages here. Leaderboards are disabled because you could change settings that make the table easier, which would make it unfair to other players. We feel that everyone should be playing with the same settings to post to Leaderboards.

Goals are disabled because the detection on them can get broken by changing settings in the coin door. For example, if a goal was detected off a word that comes up on the display, and you changed languages, then we would need to detect that word in each language. Even worse, we would have to check every combination of settings to make sure all the goals worked, and that's not really feasible.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
Those are all reasons. Also for Centaur we didn't have a way to handle that kind of "coin door" menu that uses dip switches. We implemented something for it for Flight 2K which could probably be used to do Centaur. But it is a lot of work to make sure it all works.
but what about plans to make "trustful recreations with attention to details"? can we still hope what FS'll return to some released tables to add Pro mode to them, you will not abandon them only because they are already paid for with season passes?

K

Korven

We feel that everyone should be playing with the same settings to post to Leaderboards.

So how come not every platform are set up the same? For example, why can consoles stack extra balls on EATPM while android can't and why does iOS get extra balls on Pin*Bot and not android?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
but what about plans to make "trustful recreations with attention to details"? can we still hope what FS'll return to some released tables to add Pro mode to them, you will not abandon them only because they are already paid for with season passes?

We plan to go back and emulate some of the tables that weren't emulated before. So we do plan to do improvements on already released stables. I would like to add pro to some of the tables we didn't/couldn't do before.

So how come not every platform are set up the same? For example, why can consoles stack extra balls on EATPM while android can't and why does iOS get extra balls on Pin*Bot and not android?

All platforms use teh same rom and states. I wasn't aware that there were issues with extra balls on android. Has this been reported somewhere so I can have it looked into in more detail here?

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
great to hear this, Mike! some fixes and additions to previous tables could really imrove impressions TPA makes. i wish you success on that way!

K

Korven

We plan to go back and emulate some of the tables that weren't emulated before. So we do plan to do improvements on already released stables. I would like to add pro to some of the tables we didn't/couldn't do before.

All platforms use teh same rom and states. I wasn't aware that there were issues with extra balls on android. Has this been reported somewhere so I can have it looked into in more detail here?

The Pin*Bot issue has been reported since beta testing. Here's a thread, http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4556-Extra-balls-not-being-awarded

Here's a thread about the Elvira ebs: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2258-extra-ball-question

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Issue # 15-008: Extra ball stackability is inconsistent between platforms

However, I have it listed as status "Unknown" (probably because there were conflicting reports at the time over the number of EBs allowed on the various platforms), so it may not have been selected for inclusion in your internal bug tracker.

Yet another reason why I need to pull myself away from FFXIV and get back to work on the master issues lists...sigh...why did I volunteer to do this again? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts