What about Big Bang Bar?

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Second, while you are right that BBB has no sentimental value as it was never seen in an arcade, it is widely known in the pinball world as one of those holy grail tables.

No, it really isn't. It's known more for its rarity. I've played the real thing, and while it's good, I wouldn't place it above 90% of Williams/Bally DMD games.

Even on ipdb, it's only got a 7.3 for the original and 7.1 for the repro.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
No, it really isn't. It's known more for its rarity. I've played the real thing, and while it's good, I wouldn't place it above 90% of Williams/Bally DMD games.

Even on ipdb, it's only got a 7.3 for the original and 7.1 for the repro.

I'm gonna kindly disagree with you disagreeing with me! Cause I guarantee, if you (the proverbial you, not you specifically) walked into an arcade and saw BBB, you'd lose your mind over seeing it. I know I did that to Cactus Canyon, and that's not highly ranked either. 'Holy Grail' as in, people would love to see one for themselves.

Also with regards to BBB adult subject matter, wasn't there a ROM set that did away with the tube dancers moaning? Makes me wonder too if when Earthshaker comes out on TPA if they'll use the Family ROM to get rid of the '*****in'. Hope not.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I'm gonna kindly disagree with you disagreeing with me! Cause I guarantee, if you (the proverbial you, not you specifically) walked into an arcade and saw BBB, you'd lose your mind over seeing it. I know I did that to Cactus Canyon, and that's not highly ranked either. 'Holy Grail' as in, people would love to see one for themselves.

Also with regards to BBB adult subject matter, wasn't there a ROM set that did away with the tube dancers moaning? Makes me wonder too if when Earthshaker comes out on TPA if they'll use the Family ROM to get rid of the '*****in'. Hope not.

Cactus Canyon has an 8.1, which makes it the #17 highest rated table. I've played one of those too, it's definitely better than BBB, and less rare too.

BBB is a slightly above-average machine that just didn't get mass produced.

Last edited:

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Farsight already has the rights to Chicago Coin. I asked FS about it and they said it's covered by the Stern license.

Last edited:

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Farsight already has the rights to Chicago Coin. I asked FS about it and they said it's covered by the Stern license.

Yeah, I didn't realize that Stern purchased Chicago Coin in 1977. That could mean we get Stampede and Rawhide for legacy purposes, but I doubt they would be a high priority for TPA.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
From what I read, most of CC's pinball machines aren't too good, though I heard they made some good pitch and bat machines.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I recently learned that Williams has the rights to BBB and other Capcom tables. Meaning it's within the realm of possibility.

If it happened, they'd probably just remove the Capcom stickers from the cabinet , and probably just list it as a Williams table on the TPA front end. Capcom has no say since the entire table, design, artwork is all owned by Williams.

I've heard the reason that Williams never put the table into production was because their flippers weren't as powerful as Capcoms, meaning some of the ramp shots and what not were not possible with Williams parts.

Bobby from Farsight also said on a recent podcast that the Stern license includes Data East and Sega tables, and they could do them if they wanted.

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I suppose if they bill Harley Davidson as a Stern title then I suppose they can just as easily bill Big Bang Bar as a Williams table.

Then again, I don't really see how Capcom would have a problem with allowing the usage of their logo on one table. If all the assets are basically Williams owned then getting a logo for the sake of authenticity would be child's play.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I recently learned that Williams has the rights to BBB and other Capcom tables. Meaning it's within the realm of possibility. ... Bobby from Farsight also said on a recent podcast that the Stern license includes Data East and Sega tables, and they could do them if they wanted.

While that would definitely make licensing the table easier, acquiring one for a reasonable price would be almost out of the question. BBB tables are rarely sold, and collectors' standing offers sometimes exceed $20,000. We already knew about Data East and Sega, and I suspect we will eventually see a few of each, possibly including Phantom of the Opera, Star Wars, Tales from the Crypt, and Starship Troopers (to name a few good ones). Obviously, those are some higher-profile licenses, so who knows how long it'll take before FarSight makes them a priority... They'll have enough licensing hurdles with The Addams Family and Indiana Jones, as it is.

I suppose if they bill Harley Davidson as a Stern title then I suppose they can just as easily bill Big Bang Bar as a Williams table.

The Harley-Davidson Third Edition table was always Stern, and so was the 2002 Second Edition. Only the first one in 1999 was co-manufactured by Sega and Stern because of the shared Whitestar MPU. By the time the second and third versions were released, Sega had already sold all of its assets to Stern. There was also a 1991 Bally/Midway table, but you probably know that already.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Maybe FS could rent one from a collector for a considerable chunk of money, maybe as much as a regular table would cost them to buy.

Wehrwolf

Oct 25, 2012
Played BBB at SS Billiards in Hopkins, MN. Definitely one I'd love to see on PBA, but I understand the difficulties for that to ever happen :(

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I'd rather see Pinball Magic as well. That, and Kingpin.

I find it kind of funny that people say the want BBB because of its rarity, while Kingpin goes unnoticed despite being rarer and, in my opinion, better.

Wehrwolf

Oct 25, 2012
I find it kind of funny that people say the want BBB because of its rarity, while Kingpin goes unnoticed despite being rarer and, in my opinion, better.

Doesn't have anything to do with rarity.. While I feel lucky to have 2 pinball arcades within driving distance, anything other than those 60 tables are equally rare (games I'll never see)... In fact, it's because I played the actual machine and liked it that I want it.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
BBB has fantastic theme to it and is genuinely funny. Whether its a better table than the other 2 Capcom tables, I don't know as I've only ever played a very poor version of Pinball Magic. All I know is it makes me smile whenever I've played it (also only ever in VP).

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Doesn't have anything to do with rarity.. While I feel lucky to have 2 pinball arcades within driving distance, anything other than those 60 tables are equally rare (games I'll never see)... In fact, it's because I played the actual machine and liked it that I want it.

It obviously isn't the same case with everyone, but a lot of people I've seen request it only want it because it's notably rare and the only chance they think they'll get to play it is in digital form.

BBB has fantastic theme to it and is genuinely funny. Whether its a better table than the other 2 Capcom tables, I don't know as I've only ever played a very poor version of Pinball Magic. All I know is it makes me smile whenever I've played it (also only ever in VP).

There are more than two other Capcom tables. Airborne, Breakshot, and Flipper Football are the others. I've played all of them, and I'd say BBB is better than those three.

Blueshirt

Nov 17, 2012
Like Wehrwolf, I've played the one at SS Billiards in Hopkins, and while it isn't my favorite pin in the world, it's certainly interesting, and one I wouldn't mind seeing in the game. Of course, it'll probably never happen, but still. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts