Table of the Week Club...Week 53: CHAMPION PUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Get in 'der kid, and knock 'em dead! This week's table is Champion Pub, which could be a substantially different table if it were Champion Pug. You'd start out as a wheezing runt of a dog, only to work toward finding out you are an AKC Papered dog of champion stock. Ultimate goal would be to make it to the Westminster Kennel Dog Show. Yeah, on second thought, I think I'm good with the boxing theme!

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
I hated this table until I had to play it for tourney, now I love it. It's gonna be all about gambling and winning the first few cash fights!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I hated this table until I had to play it for tourney, now I love it. It's gonna be all about gambling and winning the first few cash fights!

Wanna elaborate on this strategy for those that don't know how to approach this table?

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
I typically do a YouTube video for table of the month, I'll try to get one up in a day or two. Primarily understanding the fight and collecting smart punches is my strategy. If pinball arcade tourney in January had cpub then there should be footage there, however more chaotic obviously as time is an issue and EB's are used.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Happy birthday yesterday SYT! Saw it on the bottom of the page but didnt have time to log on.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's a shame I just can't get along with the actual game. I really like the overall theme, and the art and sound package. There's just no flow to the game itself, and everything is directed towards starting and winning fights, which can at times be random in how they go. There's also the nasty bug in Ultimate Challenge that kills the mode dead if you get a KO - as far as I can tell that's a ROM bug and you'd think they'd have noticed it?!

I also am not overly fond of the considerable use of toys and gimmicks. Let's count 'em up - the jump rope, the boxing gloves, the fighter, the two ramp diverters, the pop-up ball saver. Yikes.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I love this table and especially the excessive use of toys and gimmicks. The theme is dumb fun.
Hate the video mode.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Got a game going a bit for the first time, ended at 670M. My previous best was a hard-fought but paltry 160M, so I'll take 670M any day! Even activated Ultimate Challenge but it ended quickly. I must have had 3-4 EB's, one from the Spitting Gallery, and one from Poker Night (4 of a kind). I always collected 2x Purse from the skill shot in previous games, now I focused on Smart Punches and that seemed to give me a better edge. You can pull a losing fight out of a nosedive, but I saved them up for two Cash Fight. Went all in and defeated SteveO twice for 200M each, one being a KO. It's definitely in the Cash Fights. Well, I'm off to read the rulesheet :)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
the game's gotta lotta character! but it's a tough play; i can never seem to get very far; maybe only finished two fights once... definitely takes some banging away at it a long time to get anywhere! not nearly as easy as cactus canyon, which seems to be its spiritual sister (or brother, case may be!) i've never to my memory finished the "jump-rope" routine... there was that arcade videogame "punch-out!" back around then; reminds me of a pinball version of the same theme... kinda fun for that! but def a hard-drainer; you really have to have a lot of goes at it to get anywhere significant.

Last edited:

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
During the fight modus there is a round and flat post between the flippers going up and sometimes down. Hence the ball shouldn`t go down the toilet. But it is nasty because: the post goes suddenly and unexpected down. At that precise moment I let the ball roll down the flipper to let it stop at the post. It is easier there to shoot a small ramp at the side an then aim for the fighter. Ups: the ball drained...no post anymore!

Last edited:

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
Alright Shutyertrap, made a video just for you. Its finishing processing on my youtube channel. Go check it out and good luck!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, understanding the rule set is crucial and it's not always intuitive from the rulesheet and instructions. Here's a quick explanation of the toughest point in KOs.

The first KO you do in a game requires jab-jab-KO. The second KO requires jab-jab-jab-KO. And so on, each KO requires one more jab. It doesn't matter which boxer it is or how many fights you've won, it only matters how many KOs you've previously done.

You can make jab shots automatically in TPA by letting the ball settle on the stopper before you flip. You can get up to 4 jab shots in a row before it will start taking too long so that the stopper times out. So if your goal is Ultimate Challenge, the optimal path is to beat the first two boxers normally, then the last three with jab-KO combos.

If your goal is a high score with cash fights, then save all the KOs for those, don't use KOs before UC. Steve-o seems to be equal difficulty to the top cash fight, but still don't use a KO on him, since you can afford to lose that (just try again) but losing a cash fight is a huge penalty.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Ultimate Challenge: Yes, there is a bug that kills UC and all modes for the rest of the ball if you KO during UC, so don't do that.

The best way to win UC is to accumulate as many smart punches as you possibly can. Every skill shot, and you also get one by hitting the launch button when you hear a fly buzzing. Don't use them before UC. I usually get 8-10 smart punches stacked up. Then in UC, make shots normally until the remaining hits needed match your stock of smart punches, then spam that launch button all the way through the last boxer.

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Ultimate Challenge: Yes, there is a bug that kills UC and all modes for the rest of the ball if you KO during UC, so don't do that.

The best way to win UC is to accumulate as many smart punches as you possibly can. Every skill shot, and you also get one by hitting the launch button when you hear a fly buzzing. Don't use them before UC. I usually get 8-10 smart punches stacked up. Then in UC, make shots normally until the remaining hits needed match your stock of smart punches, then spam that launch button all the way through the last boxer.

My strategy for CP is completely different. I never play for the Ultimate Challenge as a goal, I go for the Cash Fights only. Also I use the Skill Shot for Door Prizes only. This award EB's, start Fights or give another EB chance with a Video Mode.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I just got lucky with the Ultimate Challenge: finished it with no Smart Punches used as I was stacking those up for Cash Fights. I definitely got some health bars back without shooting for those and I was near the bottom of my health when I took out th lasr boxer. UC awarded me around 70M and that only reinforces the notion to put it all on Cash Fights. Ended up with 850M this time. I also started to experiment with door prizes instead of Smart Punches at the skill shot, interesting to see what that yields in the long run.
About the Skill Shot: I believe there are two reels that alternate although parts of them are the same. When collecting Smart Punches for example, in the one reel I let go at the M, in the other one at 5X. I didn't notice at first because I was collecting only 2X Purse and that always follows the Smart Punch in both reels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.