Table of the Week Club...Week 53: CHAMPION PUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
My strategy for CP is completely different. I never play for the Ultimate Challenge as a goal, I go for the Cash Fights only. Also I use the Skill Shot for Door Prizes only. This award EB's, start Fights or give another EB chance with a Video Mode.

Yes, why not. But Extra Balls need to be plunged. Hence "Door Prize" may be not that valuable in the Totm. The goal is to be prepared for the next Tournament of the month. So EB`s are to be disregarded. Otherwise I understand your tactics. Thx.

Last edited:

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Yes, why not. But Extra Balls need to be plunged. Hence "Door Prize" may be not that valuable in the Totm. The goal is to be prepared for the next Tournament of the month. So EB`s are to be disregarded. Otherwise I understand your tactics. Thx.

Sorry, forgot that it's TotW. Then I would use to the skill shot for Smart Punches too and use them during Cash Fights.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Just topped the leaderboards with a score of around 1b 100m. It's all about saving up those Smart Punches and KOs until the end of the game, when it becomes easy to score big during cash fights. Shadow Boxing is also worth going for because you get some valuable things from there.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Nice one Captain! I haven't payed much attention to Shadow Boxing, will check it out.

Edit: although it is smart to save up on Smart Punches and KO's, using the ramps to set up a potential KO does freeze the boxer for a few seconds, long enough to get some gut shots in, or a head shot on the other side from the lit KO. Especially when you don't KO, you just have to clear 2 ramps to get the freeze. And it's repeatable on the same opponent. Without it I have trouble to beat SteveO for example.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
My strategy for CP is completely different. I never play for the Ultimate Challenge as a goal, I go for the Cash Fights only. Also I use the Skill Shot for Door Prizes only. This award EB's, start Fights or give another EB chance with a Video Mode.

Same here. I was giving tips for those who are still chasing UC as a wizard goal.

For aiming high on the leaderboard, yes, UC isn't worth enough to matter, don't waste smart punches, just let it fail.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
A broken Ultimate Challenge will cost you a ball, because you will be locked out from regular gameplay unless you drain. So it's even a bit dangerous to KO during UC.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well I just got 828M, which obliterated my previous best. I think the Door Prize idea has legs. I couldn't land on Smart Punches to save my life that game, either - I think the only two I got were from the Jump Rope and a Bar Fly.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Wow, this table was driving me crazy! I thought I cracked the code to speak with my 800M+ game, little did I know... Between a lot of garbage games, I had 2 or 3 in which I got to the same point as in that earlier game, only to lose 1 or 2 max Cash Fights. I came this close to throwing my iPad at the wall...
Today I shook it off and posted a 1.8B game for 15th at the leaderboards. I saved up my Smart Punches to KO SteveO at four straight Cash Fights. When I had to make 6 ramps to get another, I stopped because I feared draining at my waning ball saver (which cost me an earlier attempt at a higher score). I then proceeded to play another 4-5 Cash Fights, going for the easiest opponents. I actually lost one from a drain but had a 50M bonus to make up for it. Play around a bit with multiballs but the main damage had been done. Also built up a nice cushion of EB's from the Door Prize, directly or via the minigames Poker Night and Spittoon. Ultimate Challenge is actually something of a hindrance here. It generates not that much points if won, it can crash because of an inadvertent KO which will cost you a ball to continue regular play, or leaves you depleted in life bars if you time it out. It's a good thing that you only play it once at maximum per game.
Enough CP for me, let's move on to the next ToTM table!

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I thought I cracked the code to speak with my 800M+ game, little did I know... Today I shook it off and posted a 1.8B game

This table does that. I had the same thing, had a certain score level that seemed about as well as I could do... then suddenly had that one perfect miracle rush of a game winning tons of cash fights that more than doubled that previous score.

The tipping point for me was somehow figuring out how to hit the boxer without losing control into the slingshots or bumpers/right outlane. I still can't really describe exactly how, but I had this instinct for when a shot to the boxer would safely come back to a flipper. I think the worst bit was set shots from the left flipper, which rebound badly towards the outlane; running shots from the left or set shots from the right are mostly OK.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Yes, exactly, I had flow and control after a while hitting the boxer. For me it seemed all about gut shots but on a specific angle, also depending on which flipper (left --> slightly to the right, right --> almost dead-on) and speed of the ball. Mix that with copious amounts of nudging towards the flippers and away from the slingshots. Head shots are harder to begin with but also more difficult to control when returning.

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
Excuse me guys, but this table is "hard stuff". It is a real challenge for an old man like me. Despite being an unforgiving machine for faults, it makes a lot of fun detecting all possibilities of CP.
Hence I try my best, but compared to the tier 1 players .:mad:.......my X-box controller is still living :cool:

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hi Axlsgolden, define old man? :) I will be 44 this October and I know from an interview that Tarek will be 48. I have the impression that VikingErik is much younger but I may be wrong. Anyway, I thought for sure that after 40 everything went downhill but seeing that Tarek approaches 50 and still kicks ass at this TPA thing here, I take heart that I can too play with those young guys. Maybe our reaction time may be a tad slower, but we older guys sure have strategy and patience down.... :)

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Hi Axlsgolden, define old man? :) I will be 44 this October and I know from an interview that Tarek will be 48. I have the impression that VikingErik is much younger but I may be wrong. Anyway, I thought for sure that after 40 everything went downhill but seeing that Tarek approaches 50 and still kicks ass at this TPA thing here, I take heart that I can too play with those young guys. Maybe our reaction time may be a tad slower, but we older guys sure have strategy and patience down.... :)

49 since one month. Reminds me at TAF quote "Sorry old men"... :)

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I've been on top of the Pro Pinball leaderboards since it came out 20 years ago, so I can't be all that young compared to you guys.

I'm 38 this month, so younger but not by a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts