Tommy Pinball ( Like you have never seen it before )

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Hi Everyone

I know the thread title line might be getting old on the second round, I will have to think up a different means to announce my tables next time ;)

Anyway here is the video showing my table and game play. I recorded this video using medium settings this time round because otherwise the file size of the video to upload is astronomical. So its HD but medium bitrate. The actual game is obviously more crisp than this video.

Many things were done with even more detail than my previous table.

• All holes in the playfield are actually cut out ( every single hole )

• All scoops and saucers and VUKs are 100 physics driven... eg : The balls actually fall into these holes into a subway and activate switches , kickers to shoot them out etc. The saucer I made a magnetic field grab the ball and a kicker which kicks it out - other ball are capable of knocking it loose from this grab etc..

• Physics changed again. Flippers are even more responsive now. Still chasing the holy grail of best settings hehe. I did use another PAPA tommy tutorial video to study ball play. You will notice in my game play it is possible to back hand the right flipper into the VUK just as he does in his video.

• I do have the alternate sound files and had them working but the was a short sight in the current VPinMame code to not allow volume control. So I removed it for now until it's fixed.

The table is basically finished but I need to just consolidate the menu stuff and some settings controls between my two tables now and then I will upload the game and share the link.

ss1.jpg

(ps.. does anyone know why on earth you cant upload an image to attach in these threads??)
chat soon

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Hi Everyone

I know the thread title line might be getting old on the second round, I will have to think up a different means to announce my tables next time ;)

Anyway here is the video showing my table and game play. I recorded this video using medium settings this time round because otherwise the file size of the video to upload is astronomical. So its HD but medium bitrate. The actual game is obviously more crisp than this video.

Many things were done with even more detail than my previous table.

• All holes in the playfield are actually cut out ( every single hole )

• All scoops and saucers and VUKs are 100 physics driven... eg : The balls actually fall into these holes into a subway and activate switches , kickers to shoot them out etc. The saucer I made a magnetic field grab the ball and a kicker which kicks it out - other ball are capable of knocking it loose from this grab etc..

• Physics changed again. Flippers are even more responsive now. Still chasing the holy grail of best settings hehe. I did use another PAPA tommy tutorial video to study ball play. You will notice in my game play it is possible to back hand the right flipper into the VUK just as he does in his video.

• I do have the alternate sound files and had them working but the was a short sight in the current VPinMame code to not allow volume control. So I removed it for now until it's fixed.

The table is basically finished but I need to just consolidate the menu stuff and some settings controls between my two tables now and then I will upload the game and share the link.

ss1.jpg

(ps.. does anyone know why on earth you cant upload an image to attach in these threads??)
chat soon
____
I don't know how you did this, but I thank you a lot for having 4 engines put on what looks like my late grandma's B-17. I nearly teared-up. :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hi Everyone

Quite the opposite, as I immediately knew you must have a second table to show off! On a site where 100's of threads get started every few weeks, a little branding is a good thing.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Wow shaderbytes that looks incredible! A great choice too! The detail is just excellent. I still need to catch up with your latest Elvis builds, but hope to soon.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Hey everyone

Thanks for the kind words ;)

Here is an installer for the game :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5GQag5iS_vzWHZDazNFZVNIOTg/view?usp=sharing

I added in more sound effects, upgraded the pop bumpers model and textures , fixed a collider and made adjustments to some switches .. a whole bunch of small tweaks, Oh and also I coded the extra ball button to be functional. ( for those who might not know if you hold this button while pressing the start button you can play the entire game with the blinders up )

Let me know if you encounter any serious flaws

thanks

lio

Jul 24, 2013
Wow, that's really polished! I take my hat off to you!
Is there any way to not run this at desktop resolution? My GTX 670 is not quite up to running this at 4K comfortably. (edit: just found about the unity launch options, ie: -screen-fullscreen 1 -screen-height 1080 -screen-width 1920)
Also is there a way to disable the tommy decal on the ball? it's a nice touch but for continous play I find it rather distracting.
Either way: thank you so much for sharing this with us! incredible work!

Last edited:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Hey Lio

I disabled the game launching screen by choice for smoother loading. I mean once you have the settings you want you dont want to see that screen everytime you run the game. Good news is.. You can re enable it on demmand.. You have to hold the CTRL key while launching the exe to get to the launch screen. On this screen you can choose your screen size , quality settings and also remap any inputs if required. This info is in the readme ;)

I do want to add an option in the menu to use a regular ball , I forgot about it actually , I will have it in the next build.

chat soon

MRZ999

Feb 6, 2016
Hi,
just found this thread! Really nice! Great work!
I sadly have lag in this pinball as well. So I cant play. But I will google and see if I can solve it somehow. I have Win7 and Nvidia card that is 2 years old

Cheers from Sweden!

MRZ999

Feb 6, 2016
I found many threads from creators of Unity-games that have problems with lag. Maybe you can try to optimize the game? My graphic card is a Nviudia 780 Ti with 8GB and processor Intel i5-4690K@3.50GHz, RAM 8GB, 64bit Win7. I Think it should work cus no problem with any other games I tried on this computer.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Hi MRZ999

Yes in the next build I will have options to choose a less expensive AA ( although obviously it's not as good ) or no AA . Im using a deferred rendering pipeline which is the best choice for having so many lights in realtime but comes with a gotcha in that regular hardware AA solutions dont work with Deferred rendering. So currently AA is software based like a post process filter. There is no way around that I'm afraid. Currently the game is rendering about a million polygons per frame and has about 350 draw calls. Physics is all cpu bound.

I will also put in an option to not update the reflection probe. This could be very helpful perhaps. Although when the game start up .. I have to have the reflection probe enabled for a few seconds just to get it to calculate its starting values. After that if the option to not update it has been selected it wont update anymore.

My machine has some better specs but it baffles me because the game runs butter smooth on my specs. Check the video. Also I recorded the video on medium HD just for upload size. The game runs smooth while recording at maximum hd settings as well , which obviously means there is frame rate to spare.

I will post a new build in the next 2 days or so ;)

chat soon

MRZ999

Feb 6, 2016
Hi MRZ999

Yes in the next build I will have options to choose a less expensive AA ( although obviously it's not as good ) or no AA . Im using a deferred rendering pipeline which is the best choice for having so many lights in realtime but comes with a gotcha in that regular hardware AA solutions dont work with Deferred rendering. So currently AA is software based like a post process filter. There is no way around that I'm afraid. Currently the game is rendering about a million polygons per frame and has about 350 draw calls. Physics is all cpu bound.

I will also put in an option to not update the reflection probe. This could be very helpful perhaps. Although when the game start up .. I have to have the reflection probe enabled for a few seconds just to get it to calculate its starting values. After that if the option to not update it has been selected it wont update anymore.

My machine has some better specs but it baffles me because the game runs butter smooth on my specs. Check the video. Also I recorded the video on medium HD just for upload size. The game runs smooth while recording at maximum hd settings as well , which obviously means there is frame rate to spare.

chat soon

Thanks alot for the reply. Im not that good to write back cus my English isent the best. Maybe I can see if I can get my computer a Little bit faster with some tweaking. To be honest I Think this is the next big thing for cab-users. The tables seam to play so good! I wish you best of luck with the new build!

MRZ999

Feb 6, 2016
Hi MRZ999

chat soon

I SOLVED IT!!! !!! !!! !!! :cool::D:cool::D:cool::D

I installed "Auslogics BoostSpeed 9" and run some of the programs there. I had Poor condition on my computer it said. I run some diagnostics and BOOM. Really good fps now. I wont say i have 100 fps 100% of the time. But I only got lag once and maybe that is from me downloading.

I hope this makes you really happy to hear!!!

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Amazing work, how did you do this? I ask as someone who is curious about devloping original digital pinball tables. I assume you modeled everything by hand? Where did you get the art? How does the DMD work? I guess I don't understand how the ROM works with Unity. Also, are the physics yours, too?

I want to devlop an original table concept but I am unsure where to start.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Amazing work, how did you do this? I ask as someone who is curious about devloping original digital pinball tables. I assume you modeled everything by hand? Where did you get the art? How does the DMD work? I guess I don't understand how the ROM works with Unity. Also, are the physics yours, too?

I want to devlop an original table concept but I am unsure where to start.

I dont know what experience you have with Unity development, coding or 3D asset creation so by your question itself I presume not much? If that is the case and you plan on actually making something good from start to finish, then you have to start by learning everything needed i guess. Unity has excellent learning material and many 3rd party videos are available on youtube. The same thing for 3D modeling if you want to use Blender which is a free program.

Doing a game from beginning to end takes much more work in reality, the idea of making a game is easy , actually making a game is challenging .. so you start by taking the first step. It's a known fact most aspiring developers dont ever finish a project, I mention this not to discourage you but rather to present the truth to you upfront so you can gauge the road ahead with a correct mindset.

chat soon

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.