Tried TPA on Nook HD+ Today - runs great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Well, since Barnes and Noble decided to offer the Google Play store, I had someone I knew with a HD+ (1920x1280 screen) try it out. On a quick 5 minute test, it seems to work great.

Guess FS now has another platform to test on.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
Bought a Nook HD + for wife for mothers day. Sale temporarily at $179!!!!!! 1080p tablet with google play for under $200, couldn't resist. Wow! So far pinball arcade runs awesome. Downloaded most of my games from my phone purchases and have really enjoyed the high res textures and smooth gameplay. Haven't played on other high res platforms, so id love to know how this compares to transformer infinity, kindle 8.9, and nexus 10. If anyone needs me to to test anything, lemme know.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Bought a Nook HD + for wife for mothers day. Sale temporarily at $179!!!!!! 1080p tablet with google play for under $200, couldn't resist. Wow! So far pinball arcade runs awesome. Downloaded most of my games from my phone purchases and have really enjoyed the high res textures and smooth gameplay. Haven't played on other high res platforms, so id love to know how this compares to transformer infinity, kindle 8.9, and nexus 10. If anyone needs me to to test anything, lemme know.

Sounds good - I saw someone with an N10 say everything other than RBION ran smoothly recently.
Ripleys just tipped the N10 over a performance edge, apparently the ROM is quite demanding to run, and caused an occasional frame rate drop to 30fps.
Could you try Ripley's?
Not that I'm buying one, just always curious about new devices.
Thanks.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
I tested it and bought one. Plays and looks excellent. White Water especially , which is a relief. No drop in frame rate either.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
I'll try out Ripleys when I get home tonight and report. I haven't tried that one yet, but own it so I'm curious now.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
Played ripleys and it runs with smooth framerate and textures. Haven't played much before, so I'm not sure, but the ball did seem to move maybe a little slower than I would have expected. It was one of those things where you're looking for problems and don't know what to compare it with. I've got 2 real pins at home and notice ball speed differences b/t the two, but only for the first 15-20 secs until my brain adjusts.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

For the wife, eh? :D

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Played ripleys and it runs with smooth framerate and textures. Haven't played much before, so I'm not sure, but the ball did seem to move maybe a little slower than I would have expected. It was one of those things where you're looking for problems and don't know what to compare it with. I've got 2 real pins at home and notice ball speed differences b/t the two, but only for the first 15-20 secs until my brain adjusts.

Thanks for trying it Dougsterfresh.
Like you said, you'd see stutter and intermediate 1/2 framerate drop if there was a problem.
Sounds like it runs the lot perfectly.
Thanks.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
Yeah, kinda busted, huh. I've definately logged more hours than she has. My excuse of "I'm just setting it up for you and learning how to get all your stuff on there" is running out of steam....especially when pinball sounds blow my cover :)

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Well the Centaur/Pinbot update seems to be a big step back as far as the Nook HD+ is concerned. The freezing while scrolling through tables is still there (has been since the new UI was implemented a few months back). The score board on Space Shuttle is now even worse. It's partially cut off and obstructs the roll over lights on ALL the camera angles. Worst of all, Pinbot and (particularly) Centaur don't play very well and seem to cause quite a bit of crashing and framerate issues. Centaur in particular, usually starts out smooth but the framerate quickly drops and stays consistently low for the rest of the game. This is the first table pack to have a framerate issue on this tablet.

I must say I'm really disappointed because I was really looking forward to this pack but no way am I going to buy it when it runs so poorly. I would suggest other Nook HD+ owners consider skipping this update. If any other HD+ users do get this update and find that it runs well, please let me know.

Matthawk

May 18, 2013
I bought a Nook HD+ this weekend.

I haven't had any crashes or scrolling issues. Space shuttle, pb, and centaur paly fine. I had some framerate drop after a while on MM. I cleared the cache for TPA and have not had issues since.

The scoreboard kn shuttle is fine on mine. No overlap of the lighta at the top. Is that what you are referring to?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
It looks like they released another update which fixed most of the problems I mentioned. Space Shuttle now looks right. Centaur runs smooth and no longer crashes. Pinbot still has a few graphical issues, (flickering bumpers prior to starting the game and some black spots on the ramp that I don't think should be there). At least half of the sun is no longer black. I don't know if they fixed the table scrolling issue as it doesn't happen consistently. Well, I'm glad they fixed all the issues that they did.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
I've been playing Centaur and Pinbot quite a bit on the Nook HD+, have enjoyed both, especially Pinbot. No real problems to report, have noticed that the ramp in pinbot almost always has ball drain in the center hole rather than going randomly through the pegs. Nudge seems to help with this. For some reason, I haven't been able to re-download Funhouse, it causes a crash and exit. Probably need to clear cache as someone else said. Curious if the tables are taking advantage of the 1080p resolution and providing the highest image quality Android offers, or downscaling or using lower res images. Seems to run heat and lag free, so I'd love to see the hardware pushed. I don't know how TPA resolution compares on Nook HD+ with Ipad, Transformer infinity, or Nexus 10, anyone got some feedback there?

N

netizen

I don't know how TPA resolution compares on Nook HD+ with Ipad, Transformer infinity, or Nexus 10, anyone got some feedback there?

I'm too lazy to make a new cap right now, as my Nexus 10 is charging, but here's Space Shuttle from a couple versions ago.

The biggest issue, as far as the graphics go on Android, is the GPU, but due to fragmentation there is a vast difference from device to device. Unfortunately the newer HD devices like the Nexus 10 aren't as powerful as the specs would lead one to think they should be. Most of the GPU horsepower goes to the high resolution pixel fill and doesn't leave a lot left over. Things look good but for what the GPU "should" do with a lower PPI and resolution then it's performance is underwhelming compared to a Nexus 7 or iPad 3.

DeathEvil

Jul 27, 2013
just tried it on new nook hd+ and boy does it run beautifully! Despite the amazing resolution, I think it runs smoother than on my galaxy note 2! The bigger screen really does make the experience much better, and now I'm no longer so eager for PC version (although it still might be a blast with vertical monitor).

totally recommended if you have a nook hd+!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
The coupon is definitely not online only - it has an option for printing.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Picked up a Nook HD+ over the week at Sears for $139 and TPA was one of the first things I downloaded on it. The game seems to play great - I really only tried Flight 2000 - but the sound seems off. There's a definite delay between things being hit and the relevant sound being played.

Anybody else seen this on an HD+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.