Tried TPA on Nook HD+ Today - runs great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
No frame rate issues, but does anyone else have any touch screen issues? If you press and hold with your thumb does the flippers spas out?

DeathEvil

Jul 27, 2013
no touch screen issues either. hmm, I remember vividly than it wasn't all that smooth on stock 2.1 os from B&N... once changed to cm10.1 which has upgraded drivers, pinball arcade runs smoother than on note 2, or S4 (I know, I was surprised too)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Picked up a Nook HD+ over the week at Sears for $139 and TPA was one of the first things I downloaded on it. The game seems to play great - I really only tried Flight 2000 - but the sound seems off. There's a definite delay between things being hit and the relevant sound being played.

Anybody else seen this on an HD+?

This is a known, and very frustrating, bug with the TPA sound server sync. On all platforms.

Bobby admitted it was a problem in a podcast. No update on whether any work had been done on it.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
update, I flashed my HD+ with CM10.1, pinball arcade continued to work great and then my tablet was stolen! I missed it so much (mostly for pinball) that I bought a refurb for $99 online and now I'm back in action. The Mipmapping off button was an awesome find, I had always wondered why things were unnecessarily blurry at times despite the high res screen, now they're crystal clear and performance is still great!

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
Something strange happening since the el Dorado/cbw update. After playing for a minute or two I get a strange multiple nudge thing where my ball disappears and sometimes other glitches occur like missing cue ball, ATM saucer going bonkers, strange. Thinking it might be the nook, I installed CM on it and still messing up. Hoping I'm not alone in this.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Something strange happening since the el Dorado/cbw update. After playing for a minute or two I get a strange multiple nudge thing where my ball disappears and sometimes other glitches occur like missing cue ball, ATM saucer going bonkers, strange. Thinking it might be the nook, I installed CM on it and still messing up. Hoping I'm not alone in this.

+1. Your not alone! I just installed CM thinking that it would help too but with no luck. The app is broken for this device for the time being. :(

I think the reason is because of the devices touch screen. It has a problem with multitouch and pressing and holding down with both thumbs.

Does your tablet also have general touch sensitivity issues (eg. Flippers going nuts)? You can reproduce by pressing down with your entire thumb. Try web browsing and see if the web pages flicker without moving your fingers.

DeathEvil

Jul 27, 2013
+1. Your not alone! I just installed CM thinking that it would help too but with no luck. The app is broken for this device for the time being. :(

I think the reason is because of the devices touch screen. It has a problem with multitouch and pressing and holding down with both thumbs.

Does your tablet also have general touch sensitivity issues (eg. Flippers going nuts)? You can reproduce by pressing down with your entire thumb. Try web browsing and see if the web pages flicker without moving your fingers.

no issue here on my nook, nor have I ever had any. running 12/1 cm10.2 nightly yields great performance with mapping off (sharp image).

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
no issue here on my nook, nor have I ever had any. running 12/1 cm10.2 nightly yields great performance with mapping off (sharp image).

Yeah, it has worked great for me in the past, so I don't think its a hardware issue. I'm wondering if somehow I've got a corrupted file or something. It doesn't seem to do it when I turn nudge off or set it to accelerometer. I wonder if michael has a point, I have had on a few occasions had both flippers act with a single press, but it was pretty rare, most of the time, the nook was my most stable playing device until now.

dougsterfresh

May 11, 2013
Yeah, it has worked great for me in the past, so I don't think its a hardware issue. I'm wondering if somehow I've got a corrupted file or something. It doesn't seem to do it when I turn nudge off or set it to accelerometer. I wonder if michael has a point, I have had on a few occasions had both flippers act with a single press, but it was pretty rare, most of the time, the nook was my most stable playing device until now.

Oops, spoke too soon, it also does it with nudge set to accelerometer. Just happened on monster bash where it nudged for no reason and the ball dissappeared.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Oops, spoke too soon, it also does it with nudge set to accelerometer. Just happened on monster bash where it nudged for no reason and the ball dissappeared.

This app was fine six months ago when Google play announced for it. Now the tablet has issues with recognizing pressure and multi touch causing unwanted nudging and unexpected behavior. I've had balls fly from the plunger, objects disappear, instant tilt, etc.

Gonna try and turn off tilt in the pro settings and see if its still persistent.

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Can anyone tell me if this issue has been fixed with the latest update? I'm still running an old version and I don't want to update it if it's going to cause issues.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Those of you with this problem, I think it might be related to the bug in this thread: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/6959-Random-Auto-Tilts

We can't reproduce it and its extremely difficult to narrow down the issue without doing so. Any further information you can give us on this would help. Ie Does this happen on all tables? Only emulated tables? (try Big Shot, that is non-emulated). Are you using ball skins? Any options selected etc.

Thanks!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
For those of you that are having this issue, can you video this bug happening? We are trying to figure out exactly what is going on (ie every event that happens after plunge, is it really nudging or just tilting without, etc)

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
I watched those Youtube videos and I'm a little confused as to what's going on but I will mention a few things. I have ALWAYS had some issues with multi-touch on my Nook HD+. They are not limited to TPA but occur in any app (including other pinball apps, such as Zen Pinball HD and all the others I've tried). Usually if I try to hold both flippers up, one will just kinda go crazy (usually the right one). Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured out what causes it.

Other times it will register phantom taps, where I press one place and it reads like I'm pressing two places. This one I've found can be fixed by sleep/wake cycling the Nook. I'm not sure if these are the kinds of issues you're talking about or if it's something else. I also want to mention that the first issue also happens on my Kindle Fire, though slightly differently. It's hard to explain. I just try to live with it. The second issue is the one that really interferes with things but at least it can be cured by a sleep/wake cycle (which can be done while an app is still running).

Ignorantpeasant

Feb 8, 2014
I have a Nook HD+ and I experience the same. problem with TPA as other people in this thread. I ran a multitouch test app which didn't show any phantom touches even when I simulated rapid flipper activity. In any case why would phantom touches cause a nudge when nudge is set to shake or off? Surely no amount of touches (real or phantom) should cause this problem with nudge turned off? And why does the ball disappear? I've noticed that the ball returns to the plunger lane on some tables but the camera doesn't track it. The next press in the right flipper area causes a ball relaunch. I really hope that this problem can be fixed soon cos I love this app and its the only thing stopping me from buying all the tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts