TPA on The new HTC One? Or general thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

May 10, 2012
I have just ordered my first Android phone since the first Iphone came out many Ioses ago. My Iphone 4 is really begging to be put to rest for good and even though I enjoy the Iphone very much I thought it was time to spice things up a bit.
Just buying another Iphone is the safe way to go since I am very comfortable with it but it also feels like buying the same phone over and over (I have had 3 of them) and I just love the look of the new HTC One.

I have been watching a lot of Youtube reviews and come to the conclusion that this is the phone for me. The low points do not bother me and the high points (good screen, nice design, cpu/gpu power etc) looks top of the crop.

A friend bought samsung Gal 4 and that looked a bit cheaper/light and to big for my taste (but still a nice phone)

If Anyone have this phone I would love to hear your thoughts on it and a confirmation that tpa plays well on it. All those tpa table purchases just goes to waist on my old and extremely slow Galaxy 7" tablet. Unplayable!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'm 2 months past upgrade day, and I've been looking at them all, but this is my rundown on the current upper end Android offerings. ios isn't a consideration for me.

HTC One - camera and processor don't match S4, plus Sense is a resource rapist.
Sony Xperia Z - stupid waterproof plugs every time you want to charge it or plug your phones in.
Nexus 4 - no SD card support (WTF).
Samsung S3 - Technology moves fast enough without buying last year's device.
Samsung Note 2 - my pants are full enough, that thing ain't gonna fit in my pockets.

Which leaves the S4, a little over priced, and Touchwiz is almost as bad as Sense but not quite.
+ apparently the latest TPA beta, which killed N10's and S3's alike prior to the HUD fix, ran smooth as silk on one of these.
Gonna pull the trigger next weekend!

karl

May 10, 2012
Fair summation but you forgot about the aesthetics ;) (and the sound) I might be a bit vain but the HTC design won me over. The devil is in the details and the camera looks good enough for my usually dark surroundings :D

But I am a biased since I have already ordered one

Last edited:

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
I'm interested in findings on this too; I am tempted to break contract and get the S4 or HTC One on a carrier other than Sprint. But I've stopped playing TPA on my phone and only play on my tablet. It's hard to go between the two, going from a nice 7" tablet to a cramped 4" display and weaker processor.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Fair summation but you forgot about the aesthetics ;) (and the sound) I might be a bit vain but the HTC design won me over. The devil is in the details and the camera looks good enough for my usually dark surroundings :D

But I am a biased since I have already ordered one

Fair points, the ally body felt very nice in the hand.
Happy new phone mate! - post up how it plays TPA and general findings.

night

May 18, 2012
HTC is doing very well, and their build quality is on par with iPhone. I hate plastic, one of the reasons why i didn't bought Samsung. I have the HTC One V, just a single core (but still aluminium build and gator-glass). TPA runs on it, but not perfect, tables like Firepower play smooth and fast like it should, others a bit shoppy but still surprisingly well for just a single core. (I can set the textures lower in the TPA menu). I have no doubt that the HTC One you are looking at will run TPA flawless, and it would be my pick above any plastic-fantastic device. Sorry for the Samsung lovers here but if I spend a couple of hundreds on a device then I want to hold something worth of value in my hands. Apple always understood this well.

karl

May 10, 2012
Looks interesting night. Thanks for the link.

A bigger screen would be nice for playing games but maybe not for carrying it around and the larger screen would probably demand a little more power. (like the S4 have) Hoping it will be a turd ;)

Anyway I will let you all know how the phone feels when I get it in a few days

karl

May 10, 2012
It is here, and it looks and plays fantastic. The graphics is at least on par (if not better) than the Iphone. No stutter at all if you just turn off a few of all automated features you'll never use anyhow (android do have a ton of those)

Speaking of Android in general, going from IOS to Android feels a bit strange and chaotic but there is also a lot more options and possibilities along that path. Just have to get used to the switch.

So far I am more than happy

night

May 18, 2012
Speaking of Android in general, going from IOS to Android feels a bit strange and chaotic but there is also a lot more options and possibilities along that path. Just have to get used to the switch.

Same here, nothing beats the simplicity of iOS.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
the larger screen would probably demand a little more power. (like the S4 have) Hoping it will be a turd ;)

Got my S4 today - daaaayyyymmm it plays nicely!
Zen - all graphic options maximised, didn't even break a sweat.
Very pleased!

N

netizen

does this mean you get a boost in your forum peerage to Viscount Rubrik? :D

SamuraiGarrin

Mar 19, 2013
It is here, and it looks and plays fantastic. The graphics is at least on par (if not better) than the Iphone. No stutter at all if you just turn off a few of all automated features you'll never use anyhow (android do have a ton of those)

So far I am more than happy

What did you turn off to get the game to play smoothly? On my HTC One, sometimes the ball gets a bit stuttery and the sound effects are behind what's happening on the table.

Jeff Rivera

Jun 18, 2013
Odd, never have had any hiccups or issues on my HTC One. The Galaxy S4 has been totally smooth too. I generally only play on my phone when I don't have my tablet on hand, however. The Nexus 10 is my favorite way to play right now.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
TPA doesn't run well on my S4 at all, no more than about 30 fps and jerky too. Obviously something else is going on with the phone as it should eat it. Do you guys clear all background tasks etc before playing? My ipad 3 ( and my iphone 5 before I got rid ) put the S4 to shame running TPA. And the ball looks crap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts