system requirements

SteWieH

Jul 11, 2012
so i was looking around for the system requirements for the pc version of TPA but couldnt finding any. what are the current system requirements

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Windows XP SP3 or newer.
GPU that supports DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0
Most likely you will need a machine with 2GB of ram. Game doesn't require 2GB, but the OS and other apps use up RAM.

SteWieH

Jul 11, 2012
wow thanks for the quick response Mike. Since the 360 is going through some very long legal stuff, looks like steam here I come

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Windows XP SP3 or newer.
GPU that supports DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0
Most likely you will need a machine with 2GB of ram. Game doesn't require 2GB, but the OS and other apps use up RAM.

That sounds promising-especially after the way pinball fx2 played on my laptop.

SteWieH

Jul 11, 2012
yea i read that but I didnt really see a i5 as a "low end" cpu.. expcially since a i5 isnt that old. i run a HD radeon HD 4200 (on board graphics) and a quad core amd phemon 2 820 and 6 GBs of ram. i just didnt wanna get my hopes up[ and find out I need a addon card. which require me to buy a new case and a new power supply as well as a videocard >.> if Farscape has a All tables bundle I might just buy everything at once.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
yea i read that but I didnt really see a i5 as a "low end" cpu.. expcially since a i5 isnt that old. i run a HD radeon HD 4200 (on board graphics) and a quad core amd phemon 2 820 and 6 GBs of ram. i just didnt wanna get my hopes up[ and find out I need a addon card. which require me to buy a new case and a new power supply as well as a videocard >.> if Farscape has a All tables bundle I might just buy everything at once.

As was stated in the thread multiple times in that thread, it wasn't the CPU that made it "low end", but the integrated graphics on the laptop. With that said, your HD 4200 will be fine.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
When we release on Steam there will be a demo version, so you can make sure your hardware works before buying.

More than likely if you have a GPU that fits the qualifications of DX9c and SM 3.0, then you probably have a CPU powerful enough for the gameplay. The same gameplay code is running on phones which are usually in the 1 to 1.5 ghz range.

GPU is usually the bottleneck for games these days.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Okay...

I've finally decided to figure out exactly what I need to do in order to get TPA up and running on my PC. I have avoided for years having anything to do with PC gaming because I didn't want to deal with the seemingly constant upgrading/tweaking needed to make PC gaming viable for me. So I'm almost totally clueless when it comes to it.

I don't have a graphics card - AFAICT this would be the one thing holding me back from playing TPA on my Dell.

Anyways,here are my PC specs to the best of my knowledge. I still don't know if I'll go the Steam route for TPA. But at least I'll know what I have to do to get it running...

My PC specs:

Dell Inspiron 560

6 GB RAM total system memory,64-bit OS

Pentinum dual-core CPU E7600 @ 3.20Ghz

Over 500 GB space on my HDD

Graphics:

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset
1695 MB available graphics memory
64 MB dedicated graphics memory
0 MB dedicated system memory
DirectX 10

If someone here can point me in the right direction and give me some advice it would be most appreciated.

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
Okay...

I've finally decided to figure out exactly what I need to do in order to get TPA up and running on my PC. I have avoided for years having anything to do with PC gaming because I didn't want to deal with the seemingly constant upgrading/tweaking needed to make PC gaming viable for me. So I'm almost totally clueless when it comes to it.

I don't have a graphics card - AFAICT this would be the one thing holding me back from playing TPA on my Dell.

Anyways,here are my PC specs to the best of my knowledge. I still don't know if I'll go the Steam route for TPA. But at least I'll know what I have to do to get it running...

My PC specs:

Dell Inspiron 560

6 GB RAM total system memory,64-bit OS

Pentinum dual-core CPU E7600 @ 3.20Ghz

Over 500 GB space on my HDD

Graphics:

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset
1695 MB available graphics memory
64 MB dedicated graphics memory
0 MB dedicated system memory
DirectX 10

If someone here can point me in the right direction and give me some advice it would be most appreciated.

Your current integrated card may be able to run TPA. I don't really know, but you're probably better off buying a new video card. People are free to disagree with me, and say I'm wrong (and they could be correct) but I would think that at most, all you need to do is buy a discrete video card in the $50-$75 range, and you're set. Not necessarily for top-end visuals, but you would absolutely be playing.

Consoles are a bit simpler and (particularly later on in its life cycle) offer a low entry price, but they make it up on games and hardware which are far more expensive. The old "I don't have the money to spend or the time/patience to configure a computer" is so much more so a thing of the past. The nice thing about PC gaming is that you don't need to drop 2 or 3 grand anymore, or upgrade every year, particularly if you build the PC yourself. As soon as you go the route of Best Buy, or (sorry) Dell, you've spent a lot of extra money for equipment which won't do the job as well. They cheap out on stuff like bargain bin RAM and power supplies, which can have an impact on possible future upgrades.

And the nice thing, if you were to build a new one? You already have a mouse, keyboard, hard drive, monitor, memory. Couple that with purchasing items on sale, and you might be surprised how cheaply you can get a new PC built.

But... That's all a side point. As it is, all you would really need to is upgrade your video card, and you could be playing TPA on Steam as opposed to waiting for the Xbox situation to work itself out.

Last edited:

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Your current integrated card may be able to run TPA. I don't really know, but you're probably better off buying a new video card. People are free to disagree with me, and say I'm wrong (and they could be correct) but I would think that at most, all you need to do is buy a discrete video card in the $50-$75 range, and you're set. Not necessarily for top-end visuals, but you would absolutely be playing.

Consoles are a bit simpler and (particularly later on in its life cycle) offer a low entry price, but they make it up on games and hardware which are far more expensive. The old "I don't have the money to spend or the time/patience to configure a computer" is so much more so a thing of the past. The nice thing about PC gaming is that you don't need to drop 2 or 3 grand anymore, or upgrade every year, particularly if you build the PC yourself. As soon as you go the route of Best Buy, or (sorry) Dell, you've spent a lot of extra money for equipment which won't do the job as well. They cheap out on stuff like bargain bin RAM and power supplies, which can have an impact on possible future upgrades.

And the nice thing, if you were to build a new one? You already have a mouse, keyboard, hard drive, monitor, memory. Couple that with purchasing items on sale, and you might be surprised how cheaply you can get a new PC built.

But... That's all a side point. As it is, all you would really need to is upgrade your video card, and you could be playing TPA on Steam as opposed to waiting for the Xbox situation to work itself out.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I appreciate them.
I know so little about my inner PC workings that I had to look up what a PSU meant...

Anyways, I have had one or two of my friends talk to me about building a PC - like I said before - I never really gave it much thought until now. I'll check out my PSU spec first and see what that is.Then I can try to figure out what I need to get a decent video card and get things running. I at least know that I don't want to just get by - so if I am able to upgrade my power and graphics on this system,then I can at least maybe get a decent performance out of my PC.

I'll let you guys know once I figure out what I'm gonna do. Thanks again.

Neil

Mar 1, 2012
I've read that the PC version will be updated to bring it more in line with the PS4 version down the road. I wonder how this will change the requirements. And if by much, would there be a setting to keep it as it is now? A lot of pinball fans probably don't play higher end games/ own gaming rigs and it would be a shame if raising the bar left potential customers in the cold.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I've read that the PC version will be updated to bring it more in line with the PS4 version down the road. I wonder how this will change the requirements. And if by much, would there be a setting to keep it as it is now? A lot of pinball fans probably don't play higher end games/ own gaming rigs and it would be a shame if raising the bar left potential customers in the cold.

We would leave 2 options. Play in the current DX9 setup for lower end machines, and DX11 for higher end ones.

I don't know what the requirements will be for DX11 yet, but most likely a dedicated GPU, (nVidia or AMD). I'd be suprised if the integrated graphics could process that much.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
I'd be suprised if the integrated graphics could process that much.
quote from http://www.xbitlabs.com:
HD Graphics 4000 has finally received full support of Shader Model 5.0 and hardware tessellation. In other words, Intel’s graphics is now fully compatible on a hardware level with DirectX 11 and OpenGL 3.1 software interfaces.
in tests it looks like you can even play some civ5 or battlefield with it.

Last edited:

underscore

Nov 6, 2013
Anyone play with a Nvidia GT 610?

I know it's a weak card but I wanted to get something cheap so my dad could play the game on his computer. Just need to run at 1280x1024. Doesn't need post processing, Anti-Aliasing or ball reflection.

He has an AMD X2 6000+ and a 300 or 350 watt power supply.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Your CPU, RAM and HDD should be plenty. GPU might be an issue.

Lowest spec I've seen on this forum was the Intel HD 4000, which scored 465 in G3D Mark
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4000&id=2

The G45/43 Express scored 69
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+G45/G43+Express+Chipset&id=944

Mike,

I don't have benchmarks or anything, but I play on my work computer which powers a 24" 1920x1080 monitor and a 22" 1620x1050 monitor. With the 22 still active, I play TPA on the 24" at 1080p, with PP off, AA off and ball reflection on low.

It still looks great btw and really smooth 99.9% of the time (i'm usually also running a ton of work related junk in the background).

My system is an i7 (never bothered to check the cpu model/speed) but the graphics chip is an Intel HD 2000 series, which i'm imagining is weaker than the 4000 series.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.