Zen Pinball 2 on PS4 - Free for owners of the PS3-version

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
FarSight has already said they'll offer a 50% discount on tables previously owned. Gotta say though, that's a full frontal attack by Zen. Also, that is a hard release date from them, December 17th. Is Zen going to beat TPA for first release? Because that is going to make a lot of people that own both brands on PS3 wonder why one is a free carry over and the other isn't. Interesting to see if FarSight blinks.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
FarSight has already said they'll offer a 50% discount on tables previously owned. Gotta say though, that's a full frontal attack by Zen. Also, that is a hard release date from them, December 17th. Is Zen going to beat TPA for first release? Because that is going to make a lot of people that own both brands on PS3 wonder why one is a free carry over and the other isn't. Interesting to see if FarSight blinks.

Also realize that they are only releasing 20 tables out of the 30+ tables for Zen pinball 2. They have yet told us the reason behind it but they did say they had to make a choice on which tables would be cut. Sounds like they are already restricting content from 3rd party developers.

Eventually I will get a PS4 but I have to say it will be missing some of the better tables IMO. MARS, Thor, X-Men, Civi War, Fantastic Four, Captain America? They are excluded from the list.

I'm still up in arms over the decision to charge you yet again for tables you already own for TPA. With all the tables released so far most payed about $100+ dollars. So you are going to tell me I'm going to have to pay another $50 plus any pro table menu options that is (ridiculously) an option for another system? No Thank you.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
Not sure if ZEN are up grading table graphics, I have only read a bit about the release but seems the tables will run at 1080p at 60fps. FARSIGHT is adding new lighting options and maybe better quality images?. Though a lot of people will not take into account any costs of upgrading the tables.
I have not played ZEN for ages but might have to check out the Doctor Strange table when it comes out.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Not sure if ZEN are up grading table graphics, I have only read a bit about the release but seems the tables will run at 1080p at 60fps. FARSIGHT is adding new lighting options and maybe better quality images?. Though a lot of people will not take into account any costs of upgrading the tables.
I have not played ZEN for ages but might have to check out the Doctor Strange table when it comes out.

I've been playing a lot of Zen recently because I bought 22 tables in the Humble Bundle for $6 (!!). They obviously don't light their tables like a real machine would be, but the reflections on the playfield and how they do chrome look fantastic. I think even the PS3 has the reflections.

Each time Zen makes a move to another platform, they lose tables. Licensing agreements are a bear, no?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Gametrailers have a ps4 trailer . Not sure if it's actual ps4 footage they are showing but it doesn't look any different to current gen to me. Sure it may be 1080p 60fps but I hope that's not the only difference.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
ya know not to give into oure speculation but with all zens giveaways steam ps4 etc i dobut they have the engine to competeive with farsight as far a lighting etc goes on ps4/dx11.

just a thought

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I tried Circus Voltaire for PS4 and turned the room brightness down to minimum. It was absolutely beautiful. You could tell the ball was rolling from the texture on it and everything reflected off of it perfectly.

There was also no problem seeing it at any time.

Worth the other purchase.

Quite frankly here's your choice. Pay what they ask or sod off and play the version you have already. If it's not worth it, don't buy it. Your choice.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
My guess about the 20 tables thing is that Microsoft rules Zen with an Iron fist and is not allowing then to re-release all of the Tables on PS4. But they will probably all be on Xbox1

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Gametrailers have a ps4 trailer . Not sure if it's actual ps4 footage they are showing but it doesn't look any different to current gen to me. Sure it may be 1080p 60fps but I hope that's not the only difference.

I'm sure they will take advantage of some of the new power.
At the very least they will look and play amazing in 1080p/60fps and they confirmed day 1 stereoscopic 3D.

I'm pretty hyped about this. I am getting 20 tables and don't have to pay a penny! :)
It sort of makes the TPA discount look kind of meh.., but I'll still buy them. I'm going to be more selective this time though. I blindly bought every TPA table right away.

I think it's time for Farsight to release some fun tables.. They should shy away from the monster, robot, sports, racing tables and hit us with a fun animated themed table.
It's a good time to kickstart The Simpsons.

Last edited:

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
If you look at Zen Pinball on different platforms the number of polygons in the models clearly varies a lot. Based on the PS4 trailer it seems they have indeed increased this further compared to the 360/PS3, but its hard to tell because those versions weren't exactly lacking to begin with. Still, if they hadn't I bet it wouldn't have looked so good in 1080p. I suspect they will have polished with AA and shaders too. Its a bit more tricky for Zen to do much because the tables aren't meant to be realistic (to real pinball) so making them look more like real pinball tables could actually take some of the novelty away from the game.

As for 3D, the problem is that while the console should be able to handle 1080p/60fps most HDTVs can only handle 720p at 60fps due to the HDMI spec they use. As my TV is passive 3D I really wish games supported it natively with interlaced 3D as it can only display 1920x540 per eye anyway, which means a 720p image ends up displaying at 1280x540 upscaled, which kinda sucks.

And for reference:

19 tables ported to PS4:
Earth Defense
Epic Quest
Marvel Pinball: Wolverine
Marvel Pinball: Spider-Man
Marvel Pinball: Iron Man
Marvel Pinball: Blade
Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles - The Infinity Gauntlet
Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles - World War Hulk
Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles - Fear Itself
Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles - The Avengers
Paranormal
Plants vs. Zombies Pinball
Sorcerer's Lair (free for everyone who downloads Zen Pinball 2)
Star Wars Pinball: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Pinball: Boba Fett
Star Wars Pinball: The Clone Wars
Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force - Starfighter Assault
Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force - Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force - Darth Vader

New Table:
Marvel’s Doctor Strange

15 tables NOT coming to PS4:
El Dorado
Excalibur
Mars
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Tribute
Shaman
Street Fighter II Tribute
Tesla
V12
Marvel: Fantastic Four
Marvel: Captain America
Marvel: Civil War
Marvel: Ghost Rider
Marvel: Moon Knight
Marvel: Thor
Marvel: X-Men

Last edited:

Gordonomics

Jul 19, 2013
Of all the Zeb tables not available on PSN, the two I miss the most from Xbox are Secrets of the Deep and Pascha.
I wish I could play those two on my Vita :/

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
My guess about the 20 tables thing is that Microsoft rules Zen with an Iron fist and is not allowing then to re-release all of the Tables on PS4. But they will probably all be on Xbox1
That's not the reason. Zen confirmed on their FB page that they can easily port all of the tables on the PS3 over to the PS4. The problem is with the cross-buy deal from Sony. Sony will only allow them to port over 20 tables from the PS3 onto the PS4 for cross-buy, otherwise the cross-buy feature is for future table releases only.

If Zen releases the other tables on the PS4, they will have to charge money for them. They are currently debating on whether to do that or not.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Complaining about not getting the PS4 version of a game for free when you have the PS3 version is like complaining that you don't get a blu-ray for free when you have the DVD. It's an upgrade that Farsight put effort and money into, so they can't give it away for free. It's generous for Zen to do so, but not stingy for Farsight to not. I have plenty of Mega Drive games that I would have to pay for to get on PS3, but I don't expect to get them for free.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
That's not the reason. Zen confirmed on their FB page that they can easily port all of the tables on the PS3 over to the PS4. The problem is with the cross-buy deal from Sony. Sony will only allow them to port over 20 tables from the PS3 onto the PS4 for cross-buy, otherwise the cross-buy feature is for future table releases only.

If Zen releases the other tables on the PS4, they will have to charge money for them. They are currently debating on whether to do that or not.

Personally, I would be happy if they ported the rest over for a price. I wouldn't have paid for all the current ones coming over, but the one or two they missed that I like - definitely.

I'm a bit disappointed if IGNs latest article is true though "Sadly, not every table has made the jump to glorious 1080p/60fps goodness,".

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
As of tomorrow, all remaining PS3 tables that were not put on PS4 will be available. And for free, for PS3 owners! No price tag after all. Can't see anyone complaining with that.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As of tomorrow, all remaining PS3 tables that were not put on PS4 will be available. And for free, for PS3 owners! No price tag after all. Can't see anyone complaining with that.

How dare they! Don't they realize the PS4 is a completely different platform? You can't just give that away for free. Simply outrageous.

Said no one ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.