Kindle Fire - Bug I can't login -- can you?

IcedCornholio

May 29, 2013
I have a Kindle Fire 7" HDX (2013 version, 64GB + LTE AT&T).

Since the Earthshaker update, I can't login. If I tap login, I then get a menu, and then tap login again. There's a dialog box that says "enter your password" but the keyboard never comes up , the cursor is frozen in the dialog box and then it either crashes to desktop OR a keyboard pops up after a long delay, I type a letter, the letter is highlighted and then it crashes to desktop.

Went to farsight support, they said it's amazon becuase it's the keyboard. Went to Amazon, they had me factory reset, do a system update via usb, same issue. They said kindle was defective and I'm out of warranty but we'll sell you a new one at a reduce price (not huge discount).

Anyway I find it hard to believe one app is making my entire kindle defective.

Anyone else have this problem? (Note: game plays fine, just I'm not logged in).

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Just tryed it on my HDX (same year different memory size). I was already signed in, so I signed out, then when I clicked login a popup saying "connecting" popped up and my entire kindle froze like that (with the image still on screen). Probably not a coincident. I'm guessing there is a bug somehwhere here.

Edit: Reset my kindle, went back into the Pinball Arcade and apparently i was logged back in? I don't know but I'd rather not try again and have my Kindle freeze.

Last edited:

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
unable to repro the login issue with my kindle here in the office. Need more info in order to reproduce it.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Just tryed it on my HDX (same year different memory size). I was already signed in, so I signed out, then when I clicked login a popup saying "connecting" popped up and my entire kindle froze like that (with the image still on screen). Probably not a coincident. I'm guessing there is a bug somehwhere here.

Edit: Reset my kindle, went back into the Pinball Arcade and apparently i was logged back in? I don't know but I'd rather not try again and have my Kindle freeze.
----
I tried to log in, but got the same freeze as you described.

IcedCornholio

May 29, 2013
Follow Up

Scumble, what info are you looking for?
I have a 2013 model Kindle Fire HDX 7" (this one is still available for purchase today; this is NOT the 7" HD or 6")
It says it is Kindle Fire HDX (Third Generation)
It is running Fire OS 4.5.2 dated December 13 2014 8:21AM GMT

I am running from a factory reset.

I am installing Pinball Arcade as the first app on the device.

FYI, I have purchased EVERY season of TPA (including season 4).

I tap the app, get the splash screen followed by an intro screen of text and then "what's New" where it talks about Earthshaker.

I tap options , it shows 1.33.0_KFTHWA in the right hand corner.

I tap back.

I tap login. I get the "use your login to participate in leaderboards...." and then 4 options: create new account, login, play as guest, reset password. I tap login

A box comes up that says "Please enter your email address." There is a cursor in the white box below - it is a solid (not blinking cursor). The "hide keyboard," "home" and "search" icons show up on the screen -- but there's no keyboard to hide. After 43.7 seconds (I timed it) the keyboard comes up. The "ok" and "cancel" buttons throughout this time are not responding. When the keyboard comes up, you can tap a letter however the key stays selected and the key does NOT show up in the dialog box.

There seems to be no way out of the app other than putting the device to sleep -- but going back into the app freezes right back up.

What else do you need?

Bottom line: right now if you are not logged in you cannot log in.

Weird other item: all of the tables are still showing as purchased so it must be tied to the Amazon appstore and not the Farsight login.

I originally went to Farsight support, who said it was the OS keyboard that was the problem and that I should contact Amazon support. They had me reset the cache on the app (didn't work), force close the app (didn't work), soft reset the kindle (hold power for 20-30 seconds for a restart) (didn't work) then a full factory reset (didn't work)..and then they said my device was defective (which I seriously doubt).

No other apps have this problem.

IcedCornholio

May 29, 2013
I received a "new" kindle today...and it worked until I upgraded to Fire OS 4.1.1. Then it stopped working. It also did not work in Fire OS 4.5.2 which is now the most recent version.

So I believe it's definitely the app conflicting with calling the OS keyboard in 4.1.1 or higher.

I should also point out my kindle did update to starship troopers and I'm getting the same error.

If you had logged in previoisly (prior to fire 4.1.1) DONT LOGOUT!

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Off topic but I've been having trouble with my kindle in general since they revamped the OS. It always restarts randomly on me now, which I never noticed before. The full screen mode in games is kind of annoying too for games where you swipe a lot (like Fruit Ninja) cause i always accidentially slide the side bar and exit fullscreen. At least when that little tab was there it was harder to accidently touch.

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
I received a "new" kindle today...and it worked until I upgraded to Fire OS 4.1.1. Then it stopped working. It also did not work in Fire OS 4.5.2 which is now the most recent version.

So I believe it's definitely the app conflicting with calling the OS keyboard in 4.1.1 or higher.

I should also point out my kindle did update to starship troopers and I'm getting the same error.

If you had logged in previoisly (prior to fire 4.1.1) DONT LOGOUT!

Aha! This basically proves that the error doesn't lie within our game, but instead within the OS. We're working on getting a new(er) kindle in the office so I can test this myself. But if upgrading to a new OS breaks the Login, then the fault lies with the OS, not with the app itself.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
So I reset all my settings on my Kindle Fire HDX hoping it would fix a random system restarting problem I had. When I re downloaded all my games I opened up Pinball Arcade. I was not logged in anymore. I went to log in and it froze on the keyboard. Identical issue to what the OP had. Now I can't log in and therefore can't participate in this weeks tournament. Regardless of whether it's Amazon's new OS fault or not I think Pinball Arcade should be aware of the latest OS of the systems that they support and realize that Kindle owners are having this issue. If a PSN OS update made it impossible to log in the PS4 version, they'd be all over fixing that. I hope Amazon or PA fixes this soon. I'd would like to see my leaderboards and play in tournaments again.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.