Doctor Who Kickstarter

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well... considering how successful FS's last attempt at a re-skin was... I'm not exactly confident.

Also, so many tiers with so many different options? Way to confuse people. It's almost "back at $x level and figure out what you got when the dust settles".

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
It doesn't matter what the new Doctor Who looks or sounds like, there is a Dr Who version of Bubble Pop that has sold a million copies. If you put Doctor Who images on it the fans will buy it. Farsight just has to let people know it exists.

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
Sounds very cool, but I don't know if it will bring in big bucks. I hope so.

There are a LOT of David Tennant fans out there... shared on my Facebook this morning and got at least one more pledge within 10 minutes. Also pretty much guarantees that the Who fans who pledged at $7 or $10 will be upping - I certainly will :) Would like to know if the reskin will be included in the season pass though - I'll be getting that for Steam anyway, so my pledge was for IOS, but do I need to get the two platform option to get the reskin for PC?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
There are a LOT of David Tennant fans out there... shared on my Facebook this morning and got at least one more pledge within 10 minutes. Also pretty much guarantees that the Who fans who pledged at $7 or $10 will be upping - I certainly will :) Would like to know if the reskin will be included in the season pass though - I'll be getting that for Steam anyway, so my pledge was for IOS, but do I need to get the two platform option to get the reskin for PC?

That's good to know. I'm not really a DW fan and know nothing about the fan base. Hope you're right.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
The modified table is a pretty good idea. Will see if that brings in enough additional or raised pledges.

But yeah Eldar is right about the confusing wording on some of the tiers. For the $60 tier, if I'm reading it right, it contains some additional custom pinballs around the new doctors themes. But not 100% sure. I did up my pledge an additional $10 for that tier as they are making an effort at creating some fun rewards to make this work.

Not sure about their pricing of the rewards though. I think they would have had better success making the mod table an exclusive as an $80 reward. Even if only 100 people did that tier you would have 8k right there. It's the higher pledges that would make this happen.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Well I will chip in 17 bucks the last day if it is still needed; might even do it if it is not needed if Mike makes a good argument for the table.

What I want is a balanced table where risk and reward is good and no ridiculous scoring so there only is one or two way to play the table to get a good score fast and easy.

I want this table done. Because if it is not done it will not be.... eh done; no playing Dr Who in TPA :(

invitro

May 4, 2012
The modified Doctor Who seems like a dumb idea to me. The core of TPA is 1990's WMS pinball, and this "regeneration" has nothing whatsoever to do with that. The art would undoubtably be ugly and much worse than the original art, and add nothing to gameplay. I can't believe very many people will cough up more money for this addition. Worse, this seems like a heck of a lot of work, taking away from emulating real pinball machines, for something that shouldn't generate much revenue. There may even be a lot of people like me that see the existence of this mod as a negative.

At $37k of $54k with only 7 days left, failure seems likely.

Pinhead45

Dec 30, 2012
Yeah they needed to add a tier for beta access to the upcoming Stern App for people who give X amount of dollars. Just because some have beta access to TPA shouldn't mean they have access to the Stern App and it could get many new users on board as well as get people to up their pledges. I think if they did that they will still be successful, but time is running out.

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
As I see it, there are two groups to think about here: pinball fans who have little or no interest in Who outside of this pintable, and Dr Who fans who have little or no interest in pinball outside of this pintable. I'm guessing (and I'd agree with them) that Farsight see a better chance of increased revenue from the latter group, in which case they've gone the right way, as this group would certainly not be buying in to rewards that have nothing to do with the kickstarter, but will stump up for almost anything with a pic of David Tennant or Matt Smith on it (or Capaldi, for the more discerning;)) The next few days should show if they're right.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
If Farsight promise to add the 2-screen cab support again to TPA I would definitely contribute to this Kickstarter.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
I'll buy any table that goes into TPA. And if Farsight wants to design their own tables, I'll give them a shot and possibly buy them. But just to re-theme/skin a table, I have very little interest in. Ghostbusters is actually a decent fun game, but just being the Haunted House design, I can't help but think I'm playing some guys home made mod, instead of a fully realized new game. But if the new Doctor Who table makes this Kickstarter succeed, then ok. I just wish they would go one step further and re-design the table.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Love the redone table with new toys, call-outs and graphics. Wish it had been announced a week earlier, though. Or even from the start. Obviously there is a good chance to get support from both the Dr. WHo and pinball community but putting it out there on a Friday night basically gives you about 3 less days of putting the info out. If any gaming, pinball, or dr. Who website is going to report this, Monday night would likely be the earliest. By then you have 4 days left? I am, once again, baffled by the strategy in running these kick starters.

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
I'll buy any table that goes into TPA. And if Farsight wants to design their own tables, I'll give them a shot and possibly buy them. But just to re-theme/skin a table, I have very little interest in. Ghostbusters is actually a decent fun game, but just being the Haunted House design, I can't help but think I'm playing some guys home made mod, instead of a fully realized new game. But if the new Doctor Who table makes this Kickstarter succeed, then ok. I just wish they would go one step further and re-design the table.

Well, I look at it like Jackbot. Reusing a table layout doesn't mean there can't be enough meaningful changes to make a new table warranted. They could make entirely new rule sets for the various Doctors, each distinct from the original 7 in the first table. That alone could change the game quite a bit (not to mention what new toys might do if they replace certain aspects of the table, like the Time Expander, with new objects that might interact with the ball differently).

It's just a wait and see thing at this point. Can they make something distinct enough to stand out or not?

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
Reusing a table layout doesn't mean there can't be enough meaningful changes to make a new table warranted.

Yeah, I get that. I think it's just easier to handle if it was an actual table. I like the fact that we have two El Dorado tables in TPA. I can accept this because it wasn't Farsight who originally made those tables. Farsight is just preserving the tables history. But when it's Farsight that's reusing layouts, I feel cheated that they're cutting corners.

If I actually had money to collect real tables and say I had Sterns Metallica table. Then they decide to come out with a new table that uses another property that I really like, but they're using the Metallica table layout; I'd be disappointed.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, I get that. I think it's just easier to handle if it was an actual table. I like the fact that we have two El Dorado tables in TPA. I can accept this because it wasn't Farsight who originally made those tables. Farsight is just preserving the tables history. But when it's Farsight that's reusing layouts, I feel cheated that they're cutting corners.

If I actually had money to collect real tables and say I had Sterns Metallica table. Then they decide to come out with a new table that uses another property that I really like, but they're using the Metallica table layout; I'd be disappointed.

There have been tables like that too. Jurassic Park is essentially the same layout as Whirlwind and Tron is the same layout as Funhouse. Completely different experiences from the original tables.

But I wouldn't think the Regeneration table won't be that quality of a modification where it feels like a whole new table. I'm suspecting more a novelty table experience - which for me is fine for this. But would be pretty nice if they're able to build something quite different around the table layout to make it stand out.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
So will the Mod Dr Who table be part of the TPA season or will it be a stand alone like Ghostbusters? Will it require coins like Ghostbusters?

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
Well, I look at it like Jackbot. Reusing a table layout doesn't mean there can't be enough meaningful changes to make a new table warranted. They could make entirely new rule sets for the various Doctors, each distinct from the original 7 in the first table. That alone could change the game quite a bit (not to mention what new toys might do if they replace certain aspects of the table, like the Time Expander, with new objects that might interact with the ball differently).

Farsight can't make a new ruleset unless they script the table which is next to impossible on such a complex table.

From what I read it looks like the regenerated Doctor Who table will just have different graphics, new sounds, added lights and added toys. Or like they said, an "intense mod" of the original table.

KS Update #4 said:
This new table will be based on the original machine’s design. However, in our updated version, we’ll be allowed to redo all of the graphics and audio by including the latest doctors and new material from the show! We will also update the art style of the table, add new lighting features, and build in a couple new toys to make it the most intense “mod” ever of a Doctor Who table – real or digital!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.