Doctor Who Kickstarter

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
I don't know if Kickstarter works like this, so I may as well ask...

Since this thing is in US dollars, is it possible for UK people to back this?

Obviously, this show is far bigger in the UK than it is in the US.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
My problem the Dr. Who reskin is that Farsight has awful graphic design. Their UI and logos are terrible, the new one doesn't look much better. And Ghostbusters just looked like poop, with oddly chosen and badly edited callouts and sounds. This reward tier does nothing for me and I suspect that's true for a lot of people.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
As a Doctor Who fan, I check a lot of DW blogs and sites but haven't seen a single thing for the Kickstarter. If I didn't get the TPA newsletter I would have no idea this was going on.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Mike Lindsey was on our BlahCade Podcast today and spoke quite a lot about the kickstarter. The BBC wanted them to wait until the final week to offer the info on DW:R, and a lot of the details are entirely up to the BBC. So things like art, which Doctors, if there will be any companions, and the new toys are all at the BBC's discretion. Essentially the only reason FarSight is able to mod this table is because the BBC wanted to and is allowing them to.

My personal opinion is this is a good thing, as the BBC highly values their property and really wants this to work out for the best. If they are creating artistic aspects, getting the sound drops that best represent their show, securing actor licenses, it takes the pressure off FarSight's art department from coming up with everything from scratch.

Some other things were clarified too:

- Every tier above $17 gets both the DW and DW:R.
- It is FarSight's intention to create a pro mode for DW:R, but part of that is dictated by what the BBC does
- There are 2 different ball packs, the original tables at $50 and the DW:R pack at $60
- The beta testing is for the Doctor Who tables only, not any other TPA titles
- Mike said he has reached out to various Doctor Who sites, whether they chose to post anything was up to them
- Galifrey One convention sold out a year ago, at least on the vendor end. One of those vendors is going to allow FarSight to be in their booth.
- The convention is not "down the street" or in Big Bear like some have suggested, but in Los Angeles. Just sayin'. That's 90+ minutes away from Big Bear.

Full podcast drops on Tuesday. My computer crashed twice on me during the session, so I missed a bunch of stuff Mike said during it. Fortunately Jared was able to keep things going, but I'm not entirely sure what other things were said regarding the kickstarter while I was frantically trying to re-join.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Mike Lindsey was on our BlahCade Podcast today and spoke quite a lot about the kickstarter. The BBC wanted them to wait until the final week to offer the info on DW:R, and a lot of the details are entirely up to the BBC. So things like art, which Doctors, if there will be any companions, and the new toys are all at the BBC's discretion. Essentially the only reason FarSight is able to mod this table is because the BBC wanted to and is allowing them to.

My personal opinion is this is a good thing, as the BBC highly values their property and really wants this to work out for the best. If they are creating artistic aspects, getting the sound drops that best represent their show, securing actor licenses, it takes the pressure off FarSight's art department from coming up with everything from scratch.

Some other things were clarified too:

- Every tier above $17 gets both the DW and DW:R.
- It is FarSight's intention to create a pro mode for DW:R, but part of that is dictated by what the BBC does
- There are 2 different ball packs, the original tables at $50 and the DW:R pack at $60
- The beta testing is for the Doctor Who tables only, not any other TPA titles
- Mike said he has reached out to various Doctor Who sites, whether they chose to post anything was up to them
- Galifrey One convention sold out a year ago, at least on the vendor end. One of those vendors is going to allow FarSight to be in their booth.
- The convention is not "down the street" or in Big Bear like some have suggested, but in Los Angeles. Just sayin'. That's 90+ minutes away from Big Bear.

Full podcast drops on Tuesday. My computer crashed twice on me during the session, so I missed a bunch of stuff Mike said during it. Fortunately Jared was able to keep things going, but I'm not entirely sure what other things were said regarding the kickstarter while I was frantically trying to re-join.
shutyertrap,you dropped a few times,pitty,i really enjoy you guys.always nice listning.keep up the great work with Jared,thanks !!!:cool:

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Man i really hope this makes it, two Who tables, talk about a win, i am going to double my pledge, i hope enough do the same to push us to the goal.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Mike Lindsey was on our BlahCade Podcast today and spoke quite a lot about the kickstarter.

Thanks for the preview.

That's some good information and I'm of the same mindset that it'll be a better mod with BBC oversight.

Hopefully this makes it. Was actually thinking about the Regen ball pack and would be pretty fun if they had a Weeping Angel ball that would do something like freeze flippers or something if it's facing it and an Ood Ball could be fun.

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
Has anyone tried spreading this news over Doctor Who forums/message boards? Unfortunately I don't have time to join/post, but I did a quick skim over a bunch of forums, and didn't see a single post about the Kickstarter.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I was actually shocked at how bad Ghostbusters was. You could tell they just whipped it together without much thought put into it.

No, see I think they actually did put a lot of thought into it. I think they're just bad at it.

You know what reward tier would get my money? Physics parity across platforms. The PC version is the only one with the new flipper physics applied to all tables. Mobile and consoles are still using the old physics on the pre-Xenon tables, which sucks and makes switching from PC to another platform annoying. I don't like playing with the old physics so I tend not to play the older tables on my iPad. Farsight should work on what needs to be fixed and improved on existing tables across all platforms instead of dreaming up some photoshop nightmare no one is going to want to use over the original.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
You know what reward tier would get my money? Physics parity across platforms. The PC version is the only one with the new flipper physics applied to all tables. Mobile and consoles are still using the old physics on the pre-Xenon tables, which sucks and makes switching from PC to another platform annoying. I don't like playing with the old physics so I tend not to play the older tables on my iPad. Farsight should work on what needs to be fixed and improved on existing tables across all platforms instead of dreaming up some photoshop nightmare no one is going to want to use over the original.

Yup, device support discrepancies get worse as time goes by, even including now a core gameplay disparity. FS shouldn't be surprised that people other than PC players lose interest in supporting TPA.

Last edited:

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Hey Everyone
Farsight has added a couple more reward tiers
$85 - Season 6 pass for upto 2 platforms

$99 - TAF Gold edition.You must already own the original TAF table to receive this upgrade.
;)
Really tempted to get the $85 reward now. ;)
This should give the kickstarter a real boost now!

Last edited:

mewzard

Apr 18, 2015
Well, I was at $60 after the last reveal, and figured I was probably going to stay there...

Moved up to $99. I've wanted TAF Gold for a while now, and getting the Season Six season pass is just amazing. Really hoping this succeeds.

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I guess that means regular users who have never heard about Kickstarter will never own a copy of TAF Gold.

About the Season 6 tier, normally I buy Season packs at the start of the Season. If they're going to reward it in September it'll mean that either I have to buy 4 table packs or have to wait 4 months without getting any new tables. And iOS users will have to wait until next year to get their Season 6 reward, when the season is over.

This doesn't entice me to up my pledge.

Last edited:

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Wow, was hoping TAF gold would be offered at a lower and more reasonable tier level. Guess gold really is just for rich people... They should really make it a $5 add on after his kickstarter.

As for season passes - I am on psn and iOS - apply reward to those platforms please (iOS at beginning of season not end)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well... Season 6 pass for 2 platforms has some value to me, since I can certainly use 1 on Android and will dump the other on iOS. Also, I assume that they can release those as soon as S6 is live.

Also, I'm at $80 already. So it's another $10. Oh why the heck not.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Yeah I really hope the Season 6 pass at the start of the season ( apart from IOS)
Need to get confirmation from Farsight ASAP!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts