Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Volume One

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Anyone else having problems to get the Williams tables to load? I open them and the loading screen is about to end and start the table when the game just crashes and takes me back to my steam library. Tried Sorcerer's Lair and it worked fine, just seems to be the Williams tables, which is annoying.
[MENTION=3691]Dok5555555[/MENTION] This should fix your problem, and give you a better framerate on the older Zen tables as well:

http://www.digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/13630-FIX-FX3-Crashing-or-Choppy-on-Your-Laptop

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Tann: i understand the tech behind it and what you are saying but many other companies way of doing night modes is exactly this option: they just call it room lighting or whatever because they know the customer will understand that better. There may be a better way to implement room lighting but I don’t think it’s wrong for zen to treat this option as exactly that.

If we look at the thread and the people’s responses we see Zen has a problem. Pretty much no one new what this feature could do. Naming it “ambient room lighting” may not be authentic for some but I think the majority will appreciate it for what it is: a way to allow a night time setting that in turn shows off Zen’s decent lightiing engine and can lead to greater sales because that is a must have option for some

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
It's also possible that they didn't name it ambient/room lighting or day/night mode because that's something they're still working on. For example, Zaccaria has ambient settings while still having brightness and gamma sliders.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Some great discussion here. I just started coming back here ot the forums because of the news. I'm thinking most of Zen's designers frequent the steam forums and Deep has made a couple of repsonses.

Originally posted by deep:
Originally posted by Sgt_Tenor:
Thanks for the video.

It's interesting most of the comparisons to TPA and Zen where ball physics where it was too floaty or too heavy. I thought Zen's weight was a bit too heavy and TPA's way too floaty/bouncy. It's noticeably different in this beta IMO.

Love the suggestions and comments on the comparisons. Honestly I'm optimistic that Zen can fix or improve on Flipper Physics and nudging. Granted DEEP (one of the designers at Zen) has worked incredibly hard and made the ball a bit more reactive with Slings and bumpers that was a huge plus starting with the First Star Wars packages. Yes it's Beta and it's a great start. Really hope they hit the nail on the head.

I've played both TPA and Zen and even with the Nostalgia of playing the classic Tables in Virtual format, I've always gravitated to ZEN because of the quality of work they've done. Despite already owning most of the Williams/Bally Table in TPA, I will likely purcahse and play Zen more because of the quality of the product and the built in Tournament modes that are in PBFX3.

Also they need to do something about how easy it is to 'Death save' the ball. I don't play or have no cabinet so playing while playing with the controller, it's way too easy to keep the ball in play which IMO is the bane of many of Zen's original tables. Many have marathon sessions which sometimes makes me not play as often as I would like. I don't see that happening on real tables. Nudging is definitely a focus they will need to do before release.

I'm not sure they will transfer some of the already amazing tweaks into the main line of tables. I really hope they do. The balls reactions are really good in this beta. Of course as mentioned by many above. I few tweaks to nudging and flipper mechanics will likely make Zen's table tops.

Thank you, we are working hard on the physics of the ball and the flippers. It seems we can get MUCH more closer to the real thing... Stay tuned!

The bolded part is Deep's comment on my post. I'm Sgttenor. They seem to be on top and I'm guessing some updates in the future.

As it stands I'm impressed with what the Beta has to offer right now. Of course they will be tweaking things out possibly working on some of the suggestions already posted. Excited to be a part of both communities again.

Last edited:

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Ya'll ready for this table with Zen's lighting? Because I know it'll look similar to this. (Texture wise especially)

StzMK0R.jpg

Least the toys models will be rendered to a high standard on the table now!

Zabu

Feb 5, 2013
So what did Farsight actually do to piss Williams off so much then!!???........as we now know they didnt want to get out of leasing out their licences to 3rd parties so FS must have pissed them off pretty bad!!?

They didn't have to do anything to piss them off. I believe it's a different company owning the Williams property now than when the deal with Farsight was made. They saw the deal was expiring and decided to accept pitches for the license instead of just rubber-stamping a renewal with Farsight. This was in the works for a while, the other day Zen's Mel Kirk brought back a tweet from over a year ago, implying that that was when the Williams proposal was being worked on.

strells

Oct 7, 2014
I don't play on PC much but I've tried all types of options including higher resolutions, and I still have jagged edges, especially noticeable on the angled slingshots. Is this something higher anti-aliasing would fix?

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I don't play on PC much but I've tried all types of options including higher resolutions, and I still have jagged edges, especially noticeable on the angled slingshots. Is this something higher anti-aliasing would fix?

That's what it was designed to do, yes.

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018

Ah, so integrated graphics and no graphics card as Intel don't make graphics card (although they are planning to in a couple of years). If you think you have an AMD or nVidia chip in there try and disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS (if you've only got integrated then don't do it).

Don't think any integrated intel graphics are supported but you can try turning all the settings down to minimum and see if it will run like that.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
General ruleof thumb i use for intel is indie or 5 years pre chipset at low/medium 30fps , aslong as you arent expecting miricales you can run and enjoy a surprsing number of games, in this case your possibly asking too much at anything but minium, even then your probably not going to be happy

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
It's also possible that they didn't name it ambient/room lighting or day/night mode because that's something they're still working on. For example, Zaccaria has ambient settings while still having brightness and gamma sliders.

This.

The Gamma Correction can't be considered as a "night mode", as I explained in my previous post. The setting is related to the whole game display (even the game menus are darkened/lightened when the Gamma Correction is tweaked) and it doesn't change the dynamic lighting brightness on the WMS tables.

As far as I know, an ambient light slider (day/night) is available for all the other tables in Pinball FX 3. Maybe Zen didn't implemented it yet for the WMS tables (at least in the beta).

EDIT: wow, I was wrong all this time. I was induced in error by somebody in this forum, who told me there was a lighting slider in PFX3 when the game was released, posting a video of BTTF in "night mode" (can't re-find the post). In fact, it was already the Gamma Correction trick...

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It's exactly like regular Zen, with the same strenght giving you a tilt warning every time, which compared to PA's nudging I don't enjoy very much. I really hope they change this, because it's totally unlike real tables.

Is this controllable with analog? I seem to remember Zen with a controller allowing lighter nudges.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Is this controllable with analog? I seem to remember Zen with a controller allowing lighter nudges.

If you are using the left analogue stick on a controller with FX3, you can do a soft nudge and the hard nudge that the keyboard using crowd is complaining about. I wish it would use full analogue so that the slightest of taps would be like that of a person slapping the cabinet rather than an actual nudge, all the way to a hard slam of the stick being the type that earns you a warning. Those same parameters would be of use to cabinet users with proper tilt sensors too.

The biggest issue with the nudge in TPA is that even if the ball is rolling on an open plain and not making any contact with any object, a nudge will alter its course. That is simply a mockery of physics.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Ah, so integrated graphics and no graphics card as Intel don't make graphics card (although they are planning to in a couple of years). If you think you have an AMD or nVidia chip in there try and disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS (if you've only got integrated then don't do it).

Don't think any integrated intel graphics are supported but you can try turning all the settings down to minimum and see if it will run like that.

Its weird because the normal Pinball FX3 tables run perfectly fine. I guess the Williams tables are more demanding. I'll just have to wait for the Switch release then.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
"Williams Pinball Beta - UPDATE 09.07.
Hi everyone, putting this out before the weekend so you'll get the chance to play around with the new tweaks and adjustments.

What's in the update?

- Flipper bounciness reduced
- Table lights got some work, should have a very light-bulb feel now
- Outro/attract mode skip - you now are able to skip the end dotmatrix animation
- Tilt warning rewamp - Now the first bump will not result in a danger. Has a 6 second cooldown though, so if you nudge frequently it will give the warning
- Ball physics tweaks
- Flipper physics tweak
You are now able to do small movements and flicks with the flippers
You are now able to live catch with the flippers
Post pass far more reliable and less power
Backhand-ability improved

Please have a look and let us know if anything needs further work.

Thanks!"

Time to try it again :)

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
EDIT: I got ninja'ed.

I really hope they're still working on mapping for lighter nudges, but this is still a big step forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.