Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Volume One

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Good to see post passes are possible now.

I'm worried about the new nudging. You shouldn't be able to slam a machine that hard, 3 times in a row and get away with it. If you full nudge up when the ball is resting on the flipper, it shoots the ball like 6 inches off the flipper! And doing that 3 times in quick succession only gives two warnings...I have to do it 4 times before I tilt...not realistic at all.

Last edited:

wilbers

Aug 8, 2018
Good to see post passes are possible now.

I'm worried about the new nudging. You shouldn't be able to slam a machine that hard, 3 in a row and get away with it. If you full nudge up when the ball is resting on the flipper, it shoots the ball like 6 inches off the flipper! And doing that 3 times in quick succession only gives two warnings...I have to do it 4 times before I tilt...not realistic at all.

Is that the same in arcade and tournament mode? There is the argument that maybe it should be more forgiving with nudging in arcade mode.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Is that the same in arcade and tournament mode? There is the argument that maybe it should be more forgiving with nudging in arcade mode.

I agree that should be the case. Just tested, in tournament mode it tilts on the 3rd instead of the 4th nudge.

Should the ball even be bouncing 6 inches off the flipper in either mode though? And you can do that twice or even 3 times in a row and not tilt?

Seems OP.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
well with the update I can actually play the table for a little bit before it crashes. Physics seem really good to me. Has anyone been able to get a high score, whats the entering initials like, similar to TPA?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Wow, that seems a bit liberal. Should be an easy fix though.
Thanks for posting the vid Jeff. Much easier to see what you are talking about.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
That's way too OP, especially with the cooldown. A free nudge that strong every 6 seconds will put us right back into TPA marathon session territory.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
i'd say for a nudge from the keyboard that op, it needs at least 30 seconds of cooldown.
actually a nudge that hard should be a warning. but.. there's no way to do a softer nudge from the keyboard.

my suggestion.

for keyboard play, have a "nudge boost' button. if held, you get the super op slam and a tilt warning. with it not held you instead get a toned down nudge that doesn't insta warn.

or a nudge strength toggle.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Regarding the music de-syncing: Seems like any sound call with bass is making them de-sync for a little white. Only on early 90's games with this type of soundboard.

Haven't heard either of these happen in any of the times I've been playing, and I've been at it for 3 weeks, including having non timer locked Getaway. Have you confirmed this happening on a different computer?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I just tested on my real pinball machine and I couldn't get the ball to even come an inch off the flipper no matter how hard I hit the front of the machine...and of course it instantly tilted lol.

A nudge that makes the ball come 6 inches off the flipper should be a hell of a lot more than a warning haha.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
A nudge that makes the ball come 6 inches off the flipper should be a hell of a lot more than a warning haha.

Umm... yeah. There was this one ST:TNG in a university bar where the tilt sensors had stopped working. To get the ball to move like that, you had to literally pick up the table.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Haven't heard either of these happen in any of the times I've been playing, and I've been at it for 3 weeks, including having non timer locked Getaway. Have you confirmed this happening on a different computer?

This is the only build that I have. GTX 970, Intel i7-6700K @ 4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I just tested on my real pinball machine and I couldn't get the ball to even come an inch off the flipper no matter how hard I hit the front of the machine...and of course it instantly tilted lol.

Seriously, that Zen nudge makes a death save/bangback seem delicate.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

Same, tried it myself. I did a full bore push and got the ball a half inch up from the flipper, and of course it tilted. And that was on Eight Ball Deluxe which undoubtedly is set to a lower rake than any DMD machine. Kind of action we're seeing with these nudges (and the same could be said for TPA) is that of someone physically moving the machine an inch or so side to side or to the front with every single hard nudge. These machines aren't light, and even on machines that offer warning, that's usually good for a slam tilt.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
One of the devs on Steam said they're going to adjust it, so that's good news.

What do you guys think of the new lighting?

It also seems like there's a bit more difference between the arcade and tournament physics now. On arcade, I can easily trap off the launch like I did in the video, but it behaves differently on tournament. Still very predictable though, and by predictable I mean identical every time.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
A quick test on my 'phone with the TPA version of FT, and the same nudge sends the slowly ball into the bottom tip of the right slingshot and back down for a soft catch. So there's a difference in angle as well as strength.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.