120Hz - 144Hz?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I may be wrong but I get the impression TPA is locked to 60Hz, even if trying to force it to use the highest available refresh rate through the nVidia control panel. Is this correct?

Or is there a way to use 120 or 144Hz?

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
I could also be wrong, but from experimenting, I believe it is locked to 60hz. When I tried to play it in 3d at 1080p24, it was in crazy slow motion, and I haven't been able to push it past 60.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
TPA is locked to 60 Hz.

Thanks Sean, I thought it was but I'll take that as confirmation :)

If possible it would be nice to see this updated, at least on PC. It would certainly help a lot with very fast ball movement.

Has FarSight confirmed if this is a restriction of the rendering or physics tech? Surely the PC platform would allow much higher refresh rates.

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
Thanks Sean, I thought it was but I'll take that as confirmation :)

If possible it would be nice to see this updated, at least on PC. It would certainly help a lot with very fast ball movement.

Has FarSight confirmed if this is a restriction of the rendering or physics tech? Surely the PC platform would allow much higher refresh rates.

I'm pretty sure the physics are tied to the frame rate. I've noticed on some twitch streams people having issues keeping a stable 60fps which seems to slow the speed of the game.

I would imagine that running above 60fps would speed up the physics dramatically (which could be fun).

Need for Speed Rivals has it's physics tied to the frame rate. The console version runs at 30fps and the PC version is locked to 30fps. If you unlock the frame rate on the PC version you get this.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Framerates below 60 Hz will disturb the physics, leading to slowdown and/or "stuttering" during gameplay.

As for the technical reasons why the physics are tied to the framerate; I think Mike explained it once, but I can't put my finger on the relevant forum post at the moment.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I remember it being not the ball physics, but the ROM emulation that ties TPA to 60 Hz. They've cited just getting the ROM to run at the proper speed in real time as a major challenge.

swift

Apr 7, 2014
as 120 and 144Hz monitors become more popular in the coming years, i hope the framerate will be unlocked

nromo

Feb 21, 2014
Why do you care? 60Hz is fine?
I play at 120Hz, but that is 60Hz per eye in 3D vision which is awesome for TPA.

alystair

Sep 22, 2013
I would imagine that running above 60fps would speed up the physics dramatically (which could be fun).

I had a temporary bug on the the mobile version of TPA where it played faster.. it was ridiculously slick but required insane timing and ball control was out the window :)

sav2880

Feb 7, 2016
as 120 and 144Hz monitors become more popular in the coming years, i hope the framerate will be unlocked

Old post, but I discovered this same thing yesterday. 144Hz interestingly enough worked well when it was in a window, but on fullscreen, it slowed down very badly, even now.

So, I think the best approach now is to manually shift down to 60Hz before you start the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.