A big tablet with mice taped to the side... but see for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
Someone told me to post it here, because they have difficulty registering here. He loves TPA.

Philipp

May 10, 2014

Figured this is cheaper than buying a pinball machine, and taped mice to the side of a large Sony Vaio tablet running Win 8 and beloved Pinball Arcade!

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I was picturing actual rodents for some reason. This dirty city is getting to me. I think your solution works. Pretty appropriate considering Junkyard just came out.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
That's awesome.

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (12.2 inch tablet). It too is pretty epic for TPA. But I haven't glued mice to the side of it - I am a mere amateur ;-)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
i dig it! if the flat display tech was there in the ninties, i can picture those on a shelf as dedicated pinball machine toys. i would've wanted one.

along these lines, does anyone use those little stick-on mini joysticks i see sold around/on amazon to play tpa? i've wondered if those would work. i've looked for ps-style controllers for iOS devices, but i gather that apple simply never put in the proper/appropriate bluetooth tech to make analog stick devices work right? something like that?

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
It doesn't go outside, since I have the 7 inch 2012 Nexus I take on trips. I'm slightly scared I'll scratch it even in my flat, but hey, life happens and stuff breaks...

You're right, they're really expensive. I got mine for somewhat lower than the RRP (and it's the 32 gb wifi, which is one of the cheaper variants), but even for the price I paid I think it was expensive. It's a nice machine though (hardware-wise. Samsung's software is at best pointless, and at worst an irremovable waste of space / speed), so it depends how much you want the combination of 12 inch screen and Wacom digitiser.

My reckoning is that the size works, and there will be more options at that size in 6 months or a year.

Last edited:

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Why would you glue anything to it ? Play it in portrait with a controller that is what I do with all my pinball games and I'm content with that.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
OK, so it might not make much sense to an outsider...

Does it make much sense to build a cab though, with 40 different machines in software?

Does it make any sense to try to flick the little ball up the sloped surface so it hits the targets in the first place?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hi Phillip. That is one mega-screen.

So for those geeks among us, how did you assign each mouse to the correct flipper? Did you use a controller mapping program?

N

netizen

It's a windows 8 tab, so it is probably the steam build with fully mappable controls.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Does it make much sense to build a cab though, with 40 different machines in software?

I don't understand the question. That's why you'd want a cabinet. Then you have 40+ pinball machines in the space of a single machine.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
It's a bit more confusing since the threads were merged. I was responding to Jim O'Brien, who (paraphrasing) thinks that having a portrait tablet and controller is sufficient.

My point was that none of this is rational. Building cabs doesn't make sense, so it's hard to say "it only makes sense going this far". Pinball itself doesn't make sense...

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It's a bit more confusing since the threads were merged. I was responding to Jim O'Brien, who (paraphrasing) thinks that having a portrait tablet and controller is sufficient.

My point was that none of this is rational. Building cabs doesn't make sense, so it's hard to say "it only makes sense going this far". Pinball itself doesn't make sense...

I like pinball. I wish they made posters. o_0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts