Adieu, My Xbox Bretheren

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
You can't see that because some strange pinball fever has taken over you and you think switching allegiances at the 11th hour to what everyone agrees is the runner-up at best this generation (the PS3) is the answer to your prayers, or worse; a tablet, which is, as good as tablets are these days, is no main gaming platform for anyone.

I for one can't imagine sitting on my couch squinting at a 10" screen, with a 40" TV hanging idly in front of me. Or for that matter, having to deal with the PS3's issues, which, as others have pointed out, include flipper lag which I imagine is going to prove a harder bug to fix than those that prolong our wait for Xbox DLC. This WILL get straightened out, we WILL get our DLC, We WILL catch up with everyone else. The PS3 on the other hand may be scarred with title-wide issues forever.

First off let me introduce myself. My name is Rafie (Ray-fee) and I have been playing pinball since the 80's and have a genuine love for it. I've been lurking here for a few months now, but I decided to make an account just to reply to you, Ozzpot! I hate that my first post will be an argumentative one, but I honestly grow tired of this console warring and how 360 players always say that PS3 is inferior. Now I have ALL the systems and I play them extensively. I'll admit the PS3 does have its issues. A lot actually. On the same note, I sure as hell can name quite a few for the 360 as well. Trust that! Now I haven't experienced any lag on the PS3 version. Maybe I'm blessed. I haven't experienced lag on the 360 version either. Whoops, I forgot to mention that I have TPA on every device that's under my name. Actually I take that back, I have experienced lag on both platforms (PS3,360) on that horrid Black Hole table. That's it.

Anyway, my point of this is please stop ragging on the PS3. I tell those on the PS3 the same thing with the 360. The 360 just has a bigger audience, so they're statistically more fanboys for the 360 because of the larger audience. PS3 fanboys are just as annoying. Enjoy each system for what it can do. No console is perfect here. Please cease and desist with biased comments. It makes some of the 360 audience look bitter because of the DLC fiasco.

Ozzpot I want you to know that I mean this in no disrespect and I'm not calling you a fanboy at all. I'm not white-knighting for the PS3 because I sure as hell flame them when they start throwing around the "exclusives" argument. I'm a man that enjoys video games from every angle and I also happen to love pinball. So yes I'm a HUGE Zen fan and I also have their games on every device including the 3DS that's applicable. Note that I do enjoy playing on the 360 more than the PS3 as of recently, but I still play on the PS3. Hope this finds you in good spirits. I'll be posting more here now that I finally made an account. Thanks for listening!

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Yup, team meat, jonathan blow, the minecraft dudes and recently the guys behind spelunky. All high profile " indies" that got pretty burned out by the cert process and wonderng if it was worth it all at the start. I'm sure once the cash came flowing in they were able to shrug it off, but it's a paingul learning process for sure.

To say goodbye to a platform (or claiming to do so) due to this seems very childish, then again that seems the norm on forums when people get dissatisfied. It never happens however.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Yup, team meat, jonathan blow, the minecraft dudes and recently the guys behind spelunky. All high profile " indies" that got pretty burned out by the cert process and wonderng if it was worth it all at the start. I'm sure once the cash came flowing in they were able to shrug it off, but it's a paingul learning process for sure.

To say goodbye to a platform (or claiming to do so) due to this seems very childish, then again that seems the norm on forums when people get dissatisfied. It never happens however.

I believe that's childish as well. Abandon a console because DLC isn't coming out in a timely manner?! LOL Well I guess no one would enjoy that Walking Dead game then on any platform. Practice patience. When that doesn't work, just rage about it and get over it, but stay loyal. I respect that more.

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
First off let me introduce myself. My name is Rafie (Ray-fee) and I have been playing pinball since the 80's and have a genuine love for it. I've been lurking here for a few months now, but I decided to make an account just to reply to you, Ozzpot! I hate that my first post will be an argumentative one, but I honestly grow tired of this console warring and how 360 players always say that PS3 is inferior. Now I have ALL the systems and I play them extensively. I'll admit the PS3 does have its issues. A lot actually. On the same note, I sure as hell can name quite a few for the 360 as well. Trust that! Now I haven't experienced any lag on the PS3 version. Maybe I'm blessed. I haven't experienced lag on the 360 version either. Whoops, I forgot to mention that I have TPA on every device that's under my name. Actually I take that back, I have experienced lag on both platforms (PS3,360) on that horrid Black Hole table. That's it.

Anyway, my point of this is please stop ragging on the PS3. I tell those on the PS3 the same thing with the 360. The 360 just has a bigger audience, so they're statistically more fanboys for the 360 because of the larger audience. PS3 fanboys are just as annoying. Enjoy each system for what it can do. No console is perfect here. Please cease and desist with biased comments. It makes some of the 360 audience look bitter because of the DLC fiasco.

Ozzpot I want you to know that I mean this in no disrespect and I'm not calling you a fanboy at all. I'm not white-knighting for the PS3 because I sure as hell flame them when they start throwing around the "exclusives" argument. I'm a man that enjoys video games from every angle and I also happen to love pinball. So yes I'm a HUGE Zen fan and I also have their games on every device including the 3DS that's applicable. Note that I do enjoy playing on the 360 more than the PS3 as of recently, but I still play on the PS3. Hope this finds you in good spirits. I'll be posting more here now that I finally made an account. Thanks for listening!
I hear you Rafie, and thanks for taking the time and effort just to reply to me, but I need to make it clear, if not to you, then to the other readers that I am no fanboy.

I have owned almost every console over the years, including the PS3. The 25 year old me would indeed still have every console out there and every game too but I don't earn US$5,000/hr like I once did and the impoverished 33 year old me has to make a decision on which platform to concentrate on. On a par generally they may be but they also have traits which makes them better suited to certain people. As a hardcore gamer, someone who enjoys shooters, racers and sports games, someone who likes to play online with my friends, and enjoy prolonged gaming sessions, 10 hours plus quite often, I have to choose the 360. It has a far more evolved, better designed, ergonomic, award winning controller, not a 15 year old design with modern functionality shoehorned in. It has better online functionality, even if you do have to pay for it, and it has more of the kind of games I like to play. I'm straining to not sound like a fanboy, lol, but that's what I think.

In another life I would've sided with the PS3. Perhaps if I were into Blu-rays more. Perhaps if I liked JRPGs more. Perhaps if GT5 had lived up to it's billing, and not been edged by Forza 3, and then soundly beaten by Forza 4. But 1). I'm not, 2). I don't, 3). It didn't.

The point I am struggling to make is, while acknowledging that many people have, play and love multiple consoles without bias (your medal is in the mail), most people focus on a single platform, and made the choice we did for a reason. There may be very valid reasons for "switching" from one to the other, right at the end of this console generation. Let's say the price of Xbox Live dramatically increased, or the PSN took another 2 week break while everyone's personal data got stolen, something like that. A bit of pinball DLC being delayed is no reason. It's a childish, petulant, knee-jerk reaction. And you know, the grass isn't necessarily greener. I know you say you haven't experienced the flipper lag but many, many people on these forums complain about it and cite it as their reason for switching focus to the Xbox version.

What I don't understand about all the vitriol is how people can be so damned impatient. I've already made the point that TPA didn't even exist a few months ago, and now it's like people can't live without it. We're talking about virtual pinball tables, not crack cocaine. Everyone on here boasts about playing pinball since way back in the day, so I have to assume we are grown adults, not spoilt little brats.

And that's to say nothing of those spitting poison at Microsoft. I'm not playing devils advocate here. I know for a fact that everyone suffers through Microsoft's gruelling certification process. The smaller the developer, the tougher it is. And that's not because Microsoft is a bully. It's just that smaller, more naïve developers don't have the experience or the resources to test everything so thoroughly before sending it off to MS, and they pay the price.

I'm confident that FarSight will iron out the bugs and learn from this quickly and we'll get our DLC and not suffer such delays again. Hopefully those of us who have not thrown ALL the toys out of the pram by then and dismissed the Xbox 360 as "a lost cause" or "dead" or any other such ludicrous adjective will quickly forget these delays and start enjoying the beautiful new tables the best way possible, which is on their native platform, the 360.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I hear you Rafie, and thanks for taking the time and effort just to reply to me, but I need to make it clear, if not to you, then to the other readers that I am no fanboy.

I have owned almost every console over the years, including the PS3. The 25 year old me would indeed still have every console out there and every game too but I don't earn US$5,000/hr like I once did and the impoverished 33 year old me has to make a decision on which platform to concentrate on. On a par generally they may be but they also have traits which makes them better suited to certain people. As a hardcore gamer, someone who enjoys shooters, racers and sports games, someone who likes to play online with my friends, and enjoy prolonged gaming sessions, 10 hours plus quite often, I have to choose the 360. It has a far more evolved, better designed, ergonomic, award winning controller, not a 15 year old design with modern functionality shoehorned in. It has better online functionality, even if you do have to pay for it, and it has more of the kind of games I like to play. I'm straining to not sound like a fanboy, lol, but that's what I think.

In another life I would've sided with the PS3. Perhaps if I were into Blu-rays more. Perhaps if I liked JRPGs more. Perhaps if GT5 had lived up to it's billing, and not been edged by Forza 3, and then soundly beaten by Forza 4. But 1). I'm not, 2). I don't, 3). It didn't.

The point I am struggling to make is, while acknowledging that many people have, play and love multiple consoles without bias (your medal is in the mail), most people focus on a single platform, and made the choice we did for a reason. There may be very valid reasons for "switching" from one to the other, right at the end of this console generation. Let's say the price of Xbox Live dramatically increased, or the PSN took another 2 week break while everyone's personal data got stolen, something like that. A bit of pinball DLC being delayed is no reason. It's a childish, petulant, knee-jerk reaction. And you know, the grass isn't necessarily greener. I know you say you haven't experienced the flipper lag but many, many people on these forums complain about it and cite it as their reason for switching focus to the Xbox version.

What I don't understand about all the vitriol is how people can be so damned impatient. I've already made the point that TPA didn't even exist a few months ago, and now it's like people can't live without it. We're talking about virtual pinball tables, not crack cocaine. Everyone on here boasts about playing pinball since way back in the day, so I have to assume we are grown adults, not spoilt little brats.

And that's to say nothing of those spitting poison at Microsoft. I'm not playing devils advocate here. I know for a fact that everyone suffers through Microsoft's gruelling certification process. The smaller the developer, the tougher it is. And that's not because Microsoft is a bully. It's just that smaller, more naïve developers don't have the experience or the resources to test everything so thoroughly before sending it off to MS, and they pay the price.

I'm confident that FarSight will iron out the bugs and learn from this quickly and we'll get our DLC and not suffer such delays again. Hopefully those of us who have not thrown ALL the toys out of the pram by then and dismissed the Xbox 360 as "a lost cause" or "dead" or any other such ludicrous adjective will quickly forget these delays and start enjoying the beautiful new tables the best way possible, which is on their native platform, the 360.

I guess we're going to disagree about the 360/PS3 scenario, because that will start an argument that has gotten old years ago. I will just say what I've said earlier that there are pros and cons to both systems and not one person here can claim that one system is better than the other. That's open to interpretation by the people. Well since everyone is going to disagree with one another about what system is superior, it will always be an open argument for debates to come. I'm 30 and I still own every system I ever had including the first Nintendo, to the Dreamcast, all the way up to my 360.

Ozz, I wish everyone was as sound as you are. This whole thing with the DLC and FS has taken its toll on the impatient. We all are here because of pinball, no matter who its from or what system. I love it that much that I get it on all platforms. So people like me are certainly fans of the company and genre, so to speak. Thanks for keeping it civil. I can tell you're an adult. Feel free to add me on any system. I welcome it!

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
I guess we're going to disagree about the 360/PS3 scenario, because that will start an argument that has gotten old years ago. I will just say what I've said earlier that there are pros and cons to both systems and not one person here can claim that one system is better than the other. That's open to interpretation by the people. Well since everyone is going to disagree with one another about what system is superior, it will always be an open argument for debates to come. I'm 30 and I still own every system I ever had including the first Nintendo, to the Dreamcast, all the way up to my 360.

Ozz, I wish everyone was as sound as you are. This whole thing with the DLC and FS has taken its toll on the impatient. We all are here because of pinball, no matter who its from or what system. I love it that much that I get it on all platforms. So people like me are certainly fans of the company and genre, so to speak. Thanks for keeping it civil. I can tell you're an adult. Feel free to add me on any system. I welcome it!
Like I say, I'm not a fanboy. If it sounds like I have a bias towards the 360, well, I guess I do, and that's why I chose it as my main system. But it's only a small bias. The PS3 is more suited to some people.

I'm as tired of the eternal argument as you are, but I will always leap to the Xbox's defence when I need to. It's nice to discuss it like adults and not children at least.

Private message me your Xbox Gamertag or whatever and I'll add you!

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Great posts you two. Ozzpot, great to read some level headed posts by a fellow UK guy.

Hear hear! Nothing says level-headed like accusing someone of having mental issues! :confused:

This isn't something I decided to do in a huff, nor have I anywhere in this post (or anywhere in the forum) been anything but civil, so I'm not sure where your condescension is coming from.

Even once the DLC schedule gets straightened out for Xbox, it will always come faster to mobile. I happen to find the tablet experience to be on par with playing on a TV. These two factors combined, plus the realization that I don't want to pay for everything twice, has made me make the switch. That's all. Moreover, I explicitly stated that this only applied to TPA, and I'll continue to enjoy my Xbox for other games.

But please, continue lording your false sense of superiority over anyone with the gall to have a difference in opinion. That is awesome for the dynamic of the forum.

Last edited:

Ozzpot

May 5, 2012
Hear hear! Nothing says level-headed like accusing someone of having mental issues! :confused:

This isn't something I decided to do in a huff, nor have I anywhere in this post (or anywhere in the forum) been anything but civil, so I'm not sure where your condescension is coming from.

Even once the DLC schedule gets straightened out for Xbox, it will always come faster to mobile. I happen to find the tablet experience to be on par with playing on a TV. These two factors combined, plus the realization that I don't want to pay for everything twice, has made me make the switch. That's all. Moreover, I explicitly stated that this only applied to TPA, and I'll continue to enjoy my Xbox for other games.

But please, continue lording your false sense of superiority over anyone with the gall to have a difference in opinion. That is awesome for the dynamic of the forum.

Sorry, I thought you meant you were in effect done with Xbox for good, i.e selling up and making do with a tablet. My bad. I'm sure you agree that would be crazy if based entirely on some DLC being delayed. A massive over-reaction at best.

Obviously that's not what you meant but I'm sure I've heard others make it clearer that they intend to get rid of their 360s over this. I mean, some people have bought 360s purely because of TPA which is pretty hardcore so anything is possible.

I don't think I've been condescending at any point, just voiced my concern at over-reaction some people have shown. That doesn't include you, but if you feel offended by my comments I apologise.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012

I

What?
Get your head out of your bottom.
Ozzpot made good points, you took the bit about mental health possibly a bit too seriously, I'm pretty sure he was being flippant.
I'm not getting into an argument with you on this brilliant forum, there's more than enough folk spoiling Farsight's Facebook Page, without this sinking as low.
I have no idea why you chose to label me in such a way, but carry on. Saves me the hassle of trying to make you look stupid.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Sorry, I thought you meant you were in effect done with Xbox for good, i.e selling up and making do with a tablet. My bad. I'm sure you agree that would be crazy if based entirely on some DLC being delayed. A massive over-reaction at best.

Obviously that's not what you meant but I'm sure I've heard others make it clearer that they intend to get rid of their 360s over this. I mean, some people have bought 360s purely because of TPA which is pretty hardcore so anything is possible.

I don't think I've been condescending at any point, just voiced my concern at over-reaction some people have shown. That doesn't include you, but if you feel offended by my comments I apologise.

Apology 100% accepted. Glad it was just a misunderstanding. My own apologies for overreacting.

For what it's worth, I kicked into the TZ Kickstarter at the $100 level, so that will give me a chance to check in on Xbox's TPA progress once it is released. Who knows, maybe I'll be so wowed by the improvements that I'll buy all the tables again. :p

Daniel, despite quoting you, none of my comments were directed to you, but my apologies as I can see how there could be some confusion. It seems that all is forgiven, so let's all have a pint on me!

Last edited:

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Thank you, Jeff and to the rest of the forum. Not to sound corny, but I love pinball period and I just wanted to fellowship with others who has the same love I do for it. I don't care what system its on. As long as it doesn't suck, I'm all in! LOL Ozz and I had a slight disagreement, but no arguing was necessary. That's what kids don't understand. You can disagree and still have a healthy conversation.

You all can add me, if you like. I don't do too well on the scoring, but I do like competition here and there. It gives me something to work towards. I know that all of you are pretty ace in this pinball game and will pwn me to no end, but I invite it. It helps me get better. :D

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
I also have a few of the Cave shmups for the system, which was the main reason I got 360, and I was not disappointed. I played over 20 or so hours in Skyrim and I'm liking it quite a bit. I still plan to get a PS3 eventually, but I'm not disappointed with the 360.

Ahhh, a fellow shmupo ! Yeah, the availability of the Cave shmups is what lured me to the 360 in the first place too. Those ports are outstanding. Shame there's no TATE options though. I love my 360, but now my PS3 is my prime TPA machine. I'll stick with that. I don't get lag or have a problem with those "god awful" bumper buttons that Pin Wiz mentions (nor do I entirely know what he actually means...)

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
i assume you're talking about tpa right? becouse all cave titles have tate option (except the horizontal ones offcourse :) )

On the 360 ?? Man I need to pay more attention... thanks for putting me right... ***goes off to load up Espgaluda***

I don't earn US$5,000/hr like I once did

Good grief.... you make me sad that I left england for the US if there's that kind of money to be made... $5000 an hour... $200,000 a week...

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
Ozzpot, claiming the PS3 is obviously the runner-up this generation is very Western-centric. Look at the whole world, the PS3 has obviously caught up, if not surpassed the 360.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Ozzpot, claiming the PS3 is obviously the runner-up this generation is very Western-centric. Look at the whole world, the PS3 has obviously caught up, if not surpassed the 360.

No need to stir the pot, DJ Clae! We've agreed to disagree on that matter. I just want to know if anyone has changed their mind about staying loyal to their system of preference due to this DLC disappointment. I hope everyone does!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts