Advice for pc upgrade

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Hi guys.
So, my pc was able to run games with max details until 2 years ago.
Now a recent game goes ok with mid to low details for some.
I'm thinking changing my graphic card but wonder if the processor is still enough.
For Tpa the game goes perfect with max details but I'd like to be able to use directx 11 when it comes out.
My actuel graphic card is a gtx 260.
I got a q8400 (core 2 quad 2,66 ghz)
And it runs in an antec sonata 3 with a 500watt power supply.
I'm ok to out like 300 euros for a graphic card.

So... any advices is welcome ^^

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Until the dx11 patch comes out, it's all speculation, no one can give you a valid answer until we can actually see what the system overhead is. That being said, it you're gonna want to run with max settings at 1080p or above, it's likely you'll need a larger power supply, cpu, AND graphics card.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
...and getting a new CPU is going to require a new mobo and RAM.

Might want to just get a new video card for now and then upgrade the rest when you get more cash.

As for an exact model recommendation, I haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest, but I'll ask around.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Yeah, that's true. Honestly, wait until they release the dx11 update before doing anything, then those of us that have hardware can repost here to let you know how the hardware we have performs. This will be most cost effective as you'll know how tpa will fare on specific hardware before buying anything.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, that's true. Honestly, wait until they release the dx11 update before doing anything, then those of us that have hardware can repost here to let you know how the hardware we have performs. This will be most cost effective as you'll know how tpa will fare on specific hardware before buying anything.

Good advice.

p6800

May 17, 2013
Plus the prices will go down. You buy stuff when you need it. You don't buy hardware for future needs! :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
He mentioned having to run other games at low to mid settings, so that's the only reason I suggested maybe getting a video card now...and chances are you won't need anything too amazing to run TPA in DX11 (the PS3 video specs aren't all that impressive for us PC guys)...but yeah, it's always best to wait as long as possible in terms of prices.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
As jeff said, i don't just use tpa on my pc.
And i don't care anymore about battlefield, call of duty, assassin's creed, and all those "big" games.
For example, i have shadow warrior, it runs ok with mid settings.
I've searched a bit around the web, my cpu is just enough and with a better gpu i would be able to run it at High settings.
For the psu, actually a card like a gtx 660 seems to consume less than my gtx 260...

N

netizen

the gtx 660 is what is being used for development at Farsight, so it would totally suit your needs for TPA and more.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Current graphic cards have an PCI-Express interface 3.0.
Your Mainboard should have at least 2.0.
I worry that it has 1.1 which could cause troubles.
So check your specs and read about PCI-E on wikipedia.

Also make sure that the new card fits in your case.
The card could be too long or too high.

You can benchmark your system with 3DMark (on Steam, it's free) and compare your result with
other people who have the same CPU but a different GPU.
Or just search for your CPU on the database and look for VALID results with different GPUs:
In the search mask, don't forget to set the number of GPUs to one, because you only have one GPU.
Also check what Mainboards other people use. Maybe you find someone who has the same CPU & Mainboard and you can contact him on Steam to talk about experiences with different GPUs.
http://www.3dmark.com/search

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.