Age of Pinball

Jay

May 19, 2012
I figured I'd give is series it's own thread, even though it's been briefly discussed elsewhere. I like these games mainly because, outside of MS Pinball Arcade, there aren't many other decent simulations of simple old-style EM pinball machines. I'm not too keen on the new "lighting package" they added in a recent update. It makes it more difficult to see what you're supposed to be shooting for.

One thing that I especially find curious about all those tables is how the ball is launched. They never use a conventional gate. The launch lane is a ramp and the ball is always catapulted into the air. On a real pinball machine, I would think that would eventually damage the playfield. Any thoughts on why they chose to do that? Would it be easier from a programming perspective for them to use a solid surface to block the launch channel instead of a gate?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Never heard of this. What is it? What system(s) is it for?
BTW, VP has a lot of EM machines, most of which are better than MSPA.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Never heard of this. What is it? What system(s) is it for?
BTW, VP has a lot of EM machines, most of which are better than MSPA.

It's on iOS.

I played it quite a bit before TPA came out, but haven't touched it since. I might need to revisit it.

Jay

May 19, 2012
If you have an iOS device, it's hard to beat the price: $4 gets you 12 tables. There are a few nagging bugs, but they don't crop up often. What I admire about the designers, ASK Homework, is that they're trying interesting and unusual layouts. The tables are divided into two eras, '80s and '90s. But the '80s tables remind me much more of '60s and '70s designs. I like the simplicity of them. I also like how the tables look used, as if you're playing them in an old beach arcade.

They also offer in-app purchases for more "modern" tables. I bought Way of the Samurai, which has a four-level playfield. (!) It's enjoyable, but I keep going back to the "older" tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.