Akira Psycho Ball Rules

Orbital

Dec 28, 2022
I had never heard of Akira Psycho Ball until yesterday (Nov 2023) lol, despite it being released in both Japan and my native PAL region 20 years ago...

Emulating the PS2 game on my laptop has been very easy, and I've been able to use the additional anti-aliasing options to pleasing effect.

It really is a great game, with rock & roll digital features complementing the movie license well.

The only problem seems to be that the rules aren't written up anywhere online! They give you some notes via the Options menu, but these are strangely lacking online.

Is there a place here for writing up rulesets? If so I will try and write them down!

Last edited:

Orbital

Dec 28, 2022
The basics are as follows, not very clearly explained via the in-game rule sheet...

There are 3 top halves (TH) of the Akira pinball table, these are like stages 1-3:

TH1) The Lab
TH2) The A Room (where the 3 telekinetic kids live)
TH3) The Akira dome

Then there are 3 bottom halves (BH) of the table, all of which join up (differently) to all 3 tops:

BH1) Kaneda & Crew vs The Army
BH2) Tetsuo vs The Kids
BH3) Tetsuo vs Kaneda

You start on TH1 with BH1, and have to fulfill different conditions (per TH) to move to BH 2 then 3.

From BH3 you can move to the next TH, starting again with BH1... and so on until you fulfill the exit criteria for TH3 and win the game.

How awesome is that?! ^_^

Last edited:

Orbital

Dec 28, 2022
Each TH has:

• Its own mini-playfield sub game
  • its own multiball modes (irrespective of BH)
  • certain multiball modes specific to the current BH
  • its own jackpot conditions

Orbital

Dec 28, 2022
Oh yeah and to start the Story Mode, you have to beat the CPU on a rig where your playfield is joined to the CPU's by a giant ramp and you are trying to mess with each other. You can play this vs a human opponent too.

Mind blown.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.