(An attempt at) The top 40 TPA players from leaderboard scores

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for your kind words. It looks like #17, 18, 20, and 21 are idle now, so it may be a good time to move up. Just get some more top 10 scores, or be like me and get half the tables in the top 32 :).

I'm a little upset... I saw my weak month, and went to grab another top 30 score. I picked Xenon since I haven't played it much, it's easy, and I'm #48 with 14.6M. I was doing pretty well, had 12M on ball 2, then drained a couple quick balls and ended at 13.6M. Argh, wasted time. I'm too bored with it now to try again soon... so much of this high score making is stamina.
Xenon can definitely be frustrating. Seems easy then like you said a couple of quick drains and it's all over quick.
The top 10 scores are really hard to get. They are grinds. So many good players with great scores. A lot of tables have a big gap between say the top 15 and top 10. Tables like RS and JB for example. Your score on RS is somewhere around 70B I think. Then a huge drop to me at 10 with 39B. Really hard to make that huge of a jump up in scoring. Trying to improve my score on WW right now but getting the locks lit after the second time is really frustrating for me.
Also proud to be a senior member of this great forum now. :).

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
It looks like #17, 18, 20, and 21 are idle now, so it may be a good time to move up.
#2 has also been idle so there's space to move up there too...

Your score on RS is somewhere around 70B I think. Then a huge drop to me at 10 with 39B. Really hard to make that huge of a jump up in scoring.
Depends on the table. On Road Show, it really isn't. 70B is just the same things you were doing at 39B, just with a few less drains and grinding out a few more souvenirs.

On the high end here, across all the tables, it's about finding your leaks and eliminating drains. Don't get tempted by that 98% safe shot when a 99% safe shot is available. That sounds like a small difference -- but that difference is half the drains and double the score. Or on a quadratically escalating table like Road Show, quadruple the score.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Well I was eyeing that top 15 with a good score and position on F14 Tomcat, but then Dizzer2012 shot up the chart like nobody's business! He had an unbelievable month for sure, so congrats to him (or her :) ). PC and PSN are dominating the chart, don't know if that reflects user base or difficulty differences between platforms (or both), but good to see Toolinit and Gus representing iOS :)
Anyway, thanks Invitro for the work, especially with the buggy TPA leaderboards, this is the most dependable place to go!

invitro

May 4, 2012
Depends on the table. On Road Show, it really isn't. 70B is just the same things you were doing at 39B, just with a few less drains and grinding out a few more souvenirs.
I concur :). Somewhat roughly, it took me 4 hours to get to around 40B, and a fifth to get to around 70B. I am a very slow player though.

invitro

May 4, 2012
PC and PSN are dominating the chart, don't know if that reflects user base or difficulty differences between platforms (or both),
I thought I read somewhere that mobile players might have a harder time putting together a very long game, which is needed for top 10 on many tables? I'm curious if the tournament data gives some better data to make assertions about difficulty differences between platforms, since it should eliminate this factor.

I don't know if it's possible to completely answer this question though, because I think that skill at TPA and choice of platform are unlikely to be independent. :)

sneakynotsneaky

Feb 21, 2015
As a representative for Android, I really hope it's not about differences between platforms... I'd hate to think all the time I've spent improving on Android could have been replaced with a platform switch. :)

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
As a representative for Android, I really hope it's not about differences between platforms... I'd hate to think all the time I've spent improving on Android could have been replaced with a platform switch. :)

That's a good point. I was really surprised what good scores reach people in the mobil tier. I have TPA and Timeshock installed on my Android too but never played seriously. Pinball on a smartphone? Not my passion. I'm unable to play any longer game with a little touchscreen. Would be interesting to know more about the top mobil player devices. The PSN edition seems to be much more tolerant in the nudging. At least the streams from Mark Miwurdz have a table movement that I can't practise on PC. I don't like shaking that much, so no problem...

Last edited:

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
#2 has also been idle so there's space to move up there too...
Ya right man. Good one. Lol. Not a chance. Your skills are way beyond me.

On the high end here, across all the tables, it's about finding your leaks and eliminating drains. Don't get tempted by that 98% safe shot when a 99% safe shot is available. That sounds like a small difference -- but that difference is half the drains and double the score. Or on a quadratically escalating table like Road Show, quadruple the score.

Thanks for the great advice V.E. It does take time to learn how to play conservatively. Especially when it goes against your nature. I'm learning to be more patient and to choose shots more wisely.

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
That's a good point. I was really surprised what good scores reach people in the mobil tier. I have TPA and Timeshock installed on my Android too but never played seriously. Pinball on a smartphone? Not my passion. I'm unable to play any longer game with a little touchscreen. Would be interesting to know more about the top mobil player devices. The PSN edition seems to be much more tolerant in the nudging. At least the streams from Mark Miwurdz have a table movement that I can't practise on PC. I don't like shaking that much, so no problem...

Hey Tarek. I started out playing on a phone and really enjoyed the game. I'm not a PC kinda of a guy. Then I picked up an iPad mini and the results were night and day. My scores went up large . Huge difference between the 2. I've been considering going to a full iPad but it seems a little bulky to hold for a long period of time. Could use a little info from any iPad users out there.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've been considering going to a full iPad but it seems a little bulky to hold for a long period of time. Could use a little info from any iPad users out there.

You're right. It gets a little heavy if you're doing good. I only play when I can set the thing down on a pillow or something. I'm about to pick up a Mini and the idea of a light-weight experience intrigues me. I'm hoping the smaller screen doesn't mess me up.

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
You're right. It gets a little heavy if you're doing good. I only play when I can set the thing down on a pillow or something. I'm about to pick up a Mini and the idea of a light-weight experience intrigues me. I'm hoping the smaller screen doesn't mess me up.

Thanks Fungi. I'm not sure if going smaller to the mini would mess you up but I don't think so. For me anyway I find the screen big enough. It doesn't get too heavy over a long period of time. As long as you can rest your arms on a table or counter too it's all good.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks Fungi. I'm not sure if going smaller to the mini would mess you up but I don't think so. For me anyway I find the screen big enough. It doesn't get too heavy over a long period of time. As long as you can rest your arms on a table or counter too it's all good.

One thing to consider is your case - if you choose to use one. I imagine trying to play TPA using an iPad mini with an Otterbox that weighs several times what the tablet weighs, is going to be more taxing than playing with a bare tablet.

I can actually test this out, if I wanted - we have two iPad minis (one in an Otterbox, one in a Hello Kitty case...), an iPad Air (albeit in a somewhat unusable state right now, in an Apple Smart Case), and my own Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (in a generic faux-leather case).

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well 100% of my scores are from my phone, Galaxy S5. I tried PC once but I'm too used to the phone, it would take some unlearning.

I have no idea how people can play on a 'phone. An 8" tablet is small enough, but a 5" 'phone just doesn't seem feasible. Though... my 'phone is right here next to me... maybe a quick try....

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
One thing to consider is your case - if you choose to use one. I imagine trying to play TPA using an iPad mini with an Otterbox that weighs several times what the tablet weighs, is going to be more taxing than playing with a bare tablet.

I can actually test this out, if I wanted - we have two iPad minis (one in an Otterbox, one in a Hello Kitty case...), an iPad Air (albeit in a somewhat unusable state right now, in an Apple Smart Case), and my own Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (in a generic faux-leather case).

Not a problem. I go commando.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I have no idea how people can play on a 'phone. An 8" tablet is small enough, but a 5" 'phone just doesn't seem feasible. Though... my 'phone is right here next to me... maybe a quick try....

No Eldar. It is unfeasable. It is without fease. Present company excluded.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I think it's not the platform itself, but the input method that makes a huge difference. Touchscreens just can't give you the same accuracy of timing that a keyboard or gamepad can. Like Tarek, I've tried TPA and Timeshock on my iPad, and I'm so hilariously bad you wouldn't believe it. Like, can't even start multiball bad.

Does the Android version support a Bluetooth gamepad or anything like that?

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
I have mine in an otterbox. Let's just say my temper can get the better of me sometimes. Enough said.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I have mine in an otterbox. Let's just say my temper can get the better of me sometimes. Enough said.

In that case, you may have no problem with the regular iPad Air.

Just don't load so many apps and it'll stay light. I keeeed, I keeeeed.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts