Request An option to move the DMD to the top/left hand corner and get it out of the action!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Does anyone else thing it would make sense to have the DMD as high up and left as possible? It seems to get in the way of the action and, especially on the older games,
isn't much to look at. This may be an issue for older CRTs as far as it getting cut off, but it would be perfect for HDTVs.

I am sometimes tempted to turn it off all together, but I do like having it on. I just don't like it to block the game play though.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
My understanding is that it's Sonys rule that things like that are kept within a standard 4:3 ratio frame.

Sure in 4:3 mode, but it can detect when it's displaying in which mode and display the appropriate HUD settings. There are quite a few games that let you move things around to the screen edge.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Visual Pinball:
Stick DMD where you want-What size you want....
and
...use it to navigate Operator Menus!
Come on FS ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Although my TV is HD, it's a 12 year old rear projection with rather large overscan. So I lose the upper third of the DMD. Ya know the digital pinball in ToM? Yeah, couldn't see the targets at all (still amazed I managed to pass that goal). Would love to be able to move the DMD, or better yet, be able to adjust the entire screen like I can on some games.

Damn I need a new TV.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
This has bothered me for a while and the excuse that FS have used about not being allowed GUI elements too close to the edge of the screen is BS because only on certain tables is the HUD too far away from the edges. Of the tables released so far on 360 TOTAN, Ripleys, TOM, MB, and MM are fine, the HUD being quite close to the corner but BH, BOP, FH and Gorgar are miles from the corner. In the case of Gorgar and BH it doesn't matter much because the HUD is so small but BOP and FH have huge HUDS that really get in the way.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This is the kind of stuff we need Mike from Farsight to chime in on.

Putting it in one of the corners would get it out of the way. Many of us have 16:9 displays.. let's make better use of them! :)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
This has bothered me for a while and the excuse that FS have used about not being allowed GUI elements too close to the edge of the screen is BS because only on certain tables is the HUD too far away from the edges.
No, it's not BS. It's in the rules for the consoles. "Important" graphical elements cannot be farther out than some large percentage (I think it's 90%) of the distance from the center to the edge of the display. Presumably it's to avoid things like shutyertrap's TV's overscan problem.

I've never been bothered by the HUD personally (except CV's on-table HUD has a lot of vertical tear), but I suppose a moveable one can't hurt.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've never been bothered by the HUD personally (except CV's on-table HUD has a lot of vertical tear), but I suppose a moveable one can't hurt.

I'm sure I'm not the only player with vision problems, so it would really be a helpful feature to have.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
No, it's not BS. It's in the rules for the consoles. "Important" graphical elements cannot be farther out than some large percentage (I think it's 90%) of the distance from the center to the edge of the display. Presumably it's to avoid things like shutyertrap's TV's overscan problem.

You completely missed my point, the point being that for most tables FS have put the HUD close to the edge of the screen, only on a few the HUD is too far from the edge. Completely inconsistent.

Last edited:

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
Sorry about the gigantic pictures, but I can see what y'all are talking about on the alphanumeric machines.

Notice the mile wide gap on Bride:
bridehudtoofaraway.jpg

And on ToM there's still a gap on the edges, but definitely more workable:
tomhudcorrect.jpg

The alphas can and need to be fixed.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry about the gigantic pictures, but I can see what y'all are talking about on the alphanumeric machines.

Notice the mile wide gap on Bride:
bridehudtoofaraway.jpg

And on ToM there's still a gap on the edges, but definitely more workable:
tomhudcorrect.jpg

The alphas can and need to be fixed.

I'm sorry, but I'm unsure of what is being compared here.
I do see that the DMD isn't covering as much of the table on Theatre of Magic (which is more of what I was requesting).

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It would be more helpful to compare pictures that are of playing angles. Those both look like ball launch camera angles to me.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Originally Posted by HOW
Visual Pinball:
Stick DMD where you want-What size you want....

Agreed. I've been requesting that from the beginning too.

VP also allows the DMD colour to be changed as well, so while you are implementing the above..... hint hint :)

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
I'm sorry, but I'm unsure of what is being compared here.
I do see that the DMD isn't covering as much of the table on Theatre of Magic (which is more of what I was requesting).
The fact that on the alphanumeric machines the HUD is too far away from the edge of the screen

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts