Android 4.0.4 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Ok i have split the hud calls into two and it seems to have fixed some lag spike issues, gonna test it a bit more and then give you guys a build. I am -hoping- this fixes the issue because other than that i am out of ideas.

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
The only major major sound issue for tables other than Funhouse and Bride I have found other than the usual overlapping of speech and music is on Gorgar. It never fails when Gorgar says "Gorgar hurt" after you shoot the ball into the upper left flashing pit, there is no speech and generally half the sound effects are gone. I remember hearing only the spinner spinning and the hearbeat. I read some posts when the Gorgar pack came out that people were having the same issue, so I thought that was a bug that will eventually get fixed.

Skipper

Aug 12, 2012
New app version - old problem. No fixes to the stuttering problem yet!? Can't buy any new tables till the problem hasn't been fixed..

Gael

Sep 1, 2012
Yes, same here. SGS2-G.

It's not really "sound stuttering", it's more like silence with occasional stutters of sound. Ever since the Gingerbread-to-ICS404 update two weeks ago a couple of apps have had problems, for instance my media player of choice could no longer play all media with hardware acceleration. They posted the new firmware changed how some of the internal hardware acceleration mechanisms are addressed. Apparently most are just downtoned and throttled to fake longer battery life which many users reported to Samsung as a problem.

In any case, even though it's obviously not the app's fault, I really hope this issue can be addressed and Pinball Arcade will run with full smoothness of image and sound again, as like this it's totally unplayable. I do miss it quite a bit already.

Skipper

Aug 12, 2012
Oh, that's bad to hear because Samsung is very slow on updates with the SGSII G Version. Do I have to wait 6 month again till they fix this on the next android update ?! :(

Gael

Sep 1, 2012
Had a friend over last night who has Cyanogen9 on his S2 and Pinball Arcade ran perfectly smoothly on his phone. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware adressing, acceleration scheduling, internal calculation resource allocation ...kind of problem caused by Samsung's official Android distribution, which apparently is really really bad.

He's talked me through the laborious process of getting Cyanogen onto your phone and I think I might get my head around it sometime soon.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Had a friend over last night who has Cyanogen9 on his S2 and Pinball Arcade ran perfectly smoothly on his phone. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware adressing, acceleration scheduling, internal calculation resource allocation ...kind of problem caused by Samsung's official Android distribution, which apparently is really really bad.

He's talked me through the laborious process of getting Cyanogen onto your phone and I think I might get my head around it sometime soon.
I rooted a while back, mostly FOR Pinball Arcade. I went to Blu Kuban ROM, and on the face of it, there wasn't much of a difference. Once you play with the kernel and ROM tweaks, processors, governors and I/O schedulers, you'll find things a bit more to your liking. I'm very happy that Ryan and Farsight did some more work on the score display for Funhouse and Bride of Pinbot, because those tables run even smoother now. I haven't used Cyanogen in a while, but I know they have tweaks and options to mess around with as well.

Skipper

Aug 12, 2012
Still no information on a patch for fixing the stuttering problem? Want to play my tables again .. :( ... Maybe Samsung itself could do something?..

N

Nik Barbour

Still no information on a patch for fixing the stuttering problem? Want to play my tables again .. :( ... Maybe Samsung itself could do something?..

Good luck with Samsung - but I doubt you'll have much luck.
I don't like suggesting this (because of when people hit problems), but I think root and Cyanogen or Miui is your most realistic solution.
The Cyanogen website, has a really easy, step by step guide, and links to everything you'll need.
Also buy 'rom-manager' app if not experienced - after rooting, this makes installation of the new rom a doddle.
Hope you sort your problem out!

edit:- forgot to mention, if installing a new rom which has never been on that device before, always clear ALL the cache options (tick every one) when presented with the choice.

Last edited:

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
I play on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (LTE version) running Cyanogenmod 10 (Android 4.1.1). No issues here with lag at all.

Danieru_X

Sep 24, 2012
Also having ball lag with 4.04 on my galaxy note. Real shame too... Bought almost all tables but have problems with my favourites (bop & & cftbl)

mattenno

Aug 17, 2012
performance is still not good on droid razr maxx after the last update (scared stiff/big shot). any improvements coming?

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
We don't have any performance passes scheduled in the near future, and in fact I think we have done just about everything we can. Unfortunately some devices that should run it fine have driver issues that might cause lag.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Have Google sent you a Nexus 10? How will the increased screen resolution affect TPA? Will it just show up the low(er) resolution textures more?

Gael

Sep 1, 2012
They rolled out an update to Android v4.1.2 the other day. Pinball Arcade works again, if with slightly lower framerate than I used to know on older Android versions.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Ripley's still doesn't run right on my Nexus, frame rate is silky for a few seconds then it goes slightly stuttery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.