Android Version 1.10.1 Discussion And Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
@Jared - Those tables were updated, just nothing visual was changed, just the bit alignment to prevent crashes. Basically we fixed an engine bug.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
No problem :D

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the clue to finding out whether a table has updated "assets" (things like graphics, physics, and bug fixes), is that when you scroll through the table list, the game's attract music is replaced by the default Pinball Arcade menu music (listen for the "cowbell" track when you scroll between them).

@Ryan, I don't know if this is possible to implement easily (probably more of a cross-platform implementation task) but having a way to auto-update all game assets on first-run after a Google Play / sideloaded Beta Build update would be absolutely AWESOME!.

In the case of the latest update, a menu system that has each table listed and a status bar (rather than one generic "updating table assets" status bar that would crawl by the pixel for this many tables).

('scuse my "awesome" ASCII-style menu example. I'm sure Jason could probably improve on this :p)

Code:
==========================================
| Attack From Mars 0% |----x------| 100% |
| Star Trek: TNG   0% |-------x---| 100% |
| Genie            0% |--x--------| 100% |
| Twilight Zone    0% |----x------| 100% |
| Medieval Madness 0% |-------x---| 100% |
==========================================

And a way for this data to be downloaded as a background android task would also be awesome!

There is nothing worse that this updating process being interrupted and you have to start all over again.

We just discussed this in our meeting today. Just a heads up we will me implementing a manage table feature where you can delete and in the future update all tables.

N

netizen

We just discussed this in our meeting today. Just a heads up we will me implementing a manage table feature where you can delete and in the future update all tables.

Will this delete tables have the same effect as removing data through the Android App management? By this I mean the loss of all achievements, local scores/HOF points etc.

The local scores aren't to big a deal as the should be able to be reset through the operators menu of the pro tables; I haven't checked to see if this functionality has come back yet. However the goals are looked at by some players as the Raison d'être behind video pinball.

HOF scores are, imo, meh. They are stored on the server you either beat that total number or you don't. I have mixed feelings about the way they are awarded anyway.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
-I meant was star trek the only table to have the button/trigger issue.
-No the tables delete screen will only delete the tables you select not your scores. You can do this manually via usb but we want to make it more user friendly.

N

netizen

-I meant was star trek the only table to have the button/trigger issue.

Star Trek has the most obvious button/trigger issue, followed by HD which has the problem with either flipper engaging the launch button during the pre launch selection, MM/AFM/MB all have the problem of the L Flipper causing the ball to launch (super skill shot, or skill shot target selection).

So it's a yes/no answer.

Drawken

Oct 2, 2012
Nexus 7 4.1.2 rooted
I don't know if this has been mentioned before. This is about the nudge in touch controls.
If you are holding left flipper up and nudge left the left flipper will flip when the table is nudged. This also happens with the right flipper and the right nudge.
When holding up both flippers touch nudge doesn't work at all.
I'm not sure if these controls are intentional since I'm not sure if you can nudge while holding the flippers in RL. But I do notice you can nudge with the shake controls no matter which flipper(s) are held, and the Wii PHOF never had this
issue.
This is a serious problem if I try to trap balls on one flipper and use the other to keep control of the remaining ball.

UI no longer crashes the app with constant rotation. Why anyone would turn their tablet over and over I dunno, but glad you guys were able to fix it for those that needed the fix.

Edit: I noticed PA doesn't register a third touch altogether, so I can't pause or change the camera angle with both flippers held.

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Nexus 7 4.1.2 rooted
I don't know if this has been mentioned before. This is about the nudge in touch controls.
If you are holding left flipper up and nudge left the left flipper will flip when the table is nudged. This also happens with the right flipper and the right nudge.
I'm not sure if these controls are intentional since I'm not sure if you can nudge while holding the flippers in RL. But I do notice you can nudge with the shake controls no matter which flipper(s) are held, and the Wii PHOF never had this
issue.
This is a serious problem if I try to trap balls on one flipper and use the other to keep control of the remaining ball.

+1 - This drives me nuts too.
Cradling a ball on a flipper, nudge on same side =flipper energises.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Good news about the table management menu, Ryan.

From what you said, it seems the idea is to start out with deletion initially, then work up to bulk update in the future.

I'm looking forward to testing this out (whenever the system is implemented).

How long? 6 - 8 weeks, right ;-)

N

netizen

out of curiosity has anyone been awarded the Digital Pinball goal for TOM when it is randomly awarded in the basement, or is Android stuck not being able to engage this mode by having no flipper control prior to pressing the start button?

Holding the left flipper while hitting the start button to start the game will initiate the 'Digital Pinball Selected" mode. This will give you Digital Pinball as your first Basement Award.

There is a thread in the TOM section where the discussion seems to indicate that players on PS3 and Xbox 360 had to use the L Flipper Easter Egg to get the Digital Pinball goal to be checked off because when it was randomly awarded it didn't get counted as a Wizard Goal.

Am I expecting too much here, or could the mobile/tablet version have this functionality? I mean the ability to "press" the flipper buttons at any point independently of the start/launch/special buttons and the plunger touch zones, or programmable key commands for game pads or other controllers.

I guess ideally i would like some sort of "cabinet' type controller where I can have external buttons for flipper control, maybe a plunger/trigger too, but still be able to utilize shake nudging. If it could have some crazy interface that would connect via hdmi out and show the current table back glass and HUD on a mini display built into the cabinet/controller, that would be "the ****."

I know, I am a dreamer of the worst sort.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
or is Android stuck not being able to engage this mode by having no flipper control prior to pressing the start button?

Pre-plunge Start Button control works on Android for ToM. It's a bit finnicky (sp) though: my trick is to use my left thumb to press the glowing start button and then - without (!!) leaving the touch screen - slide your thumb over to the left. It should say "digital pinball selected". I can make it work every single time after a little practice on the timing :) (It shouldn't be so obscure though!)

Last edited:
N

netizen

my trick is to use my left thumb to press the glowing start button and then - without (!!) leaving the touch screen - slide your thumb over to the left. It should say "digital pinball selected". ... (It shouldn't be so obscure though!)

This is a very, very, cool trick.

angrytilter

Jan 20, 2013
Nexus 7 4.1.2 rooted
issue.

Edit: I noticed PA doesn't register a third touch altogether, so I can't pause or change the camera angle with both flippers held.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a hardware limitation of your tablet, some Android devices only register 2 touches at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.