Request Any 2016-2017 update on multiple monitor support for TPA?

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
There are a handful of topics on multiple monitor (aka "pincab", but really it's just multiple monitors) support in TPA that date back a few years but nothing recent.

Is it still planned for TPA to get support for 2 or 3 monitors:

1. playfield (portrait, widescreen)
2. backglass (ideally 4:3 but good luck finding one these days)
3. DMD monitor

Don't get me wrong, current portrait orientation support is (makes kissing sound and hand motion in front of lips) excellent and much appreciated but official support for monitors #2 and #3 would be out-freakin'-standing.

Adding multiple monitor support has been discussed, it's even mentioned in the Wikipedia article for TPA under 2014 plans, but the silence on it over the last 2 years has been nearly total. I am hoping for a semi-official response from the TPA devs:

I will invoke my crappy 15 minutes of Internet fame, I am co-founder of Stack Overflow which is a Wikipedia-like Q&A site for programmers, and I guarantee the software developers who work on TPA have been to Stack Overflow at some point when coding TPA.

Soooo.. from a HUGE fan of your game, who owns a pincab, supported and tweeted out to my 200k Twitter followers about multiple TPA kickstarters in the past, and also owns *every* TPA table (and a couple TPA tables on multiple platforms, even)... could I get down on my knees and beg for an official response on this for 2016-2017? From one fellow programmer to another... please? Pretty please with a null pointer reference on top? ;)

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
There are a handful of topics on multiple monitor (aka "pincab", but really it's just multiple monitors) support in TPA that date back a few years but nothing recent.

Is it still planned for TPA to get support for 2 or 3 monitors:

1. playfield (portrait, widescreen)
2. backglass (ideally 4:3 but good luck finding one these days)
3. DMD monitor

Don't get me wrong, current portrait orientation support is (makes kissing sound and hand motion in front of lips) excellent and much appreciated but official support for monitors #2 and #3 would be out-freakin'-standing.

Adding multiple monitor support has been discussed, it's even mentioned in the Wikipedia article for TPA under 2014 plans, but the silence on it over the last 2 years has been nearly total. I am hoping for a semi-official response from the TPA devs:

I will invoke my crappy 15 minutes of Internet fame, I am co-founder of Stack Overflow which is a Wikipedia-like Q&A site for programmers, and I guarantee the software developers who work on TPA have been to Stack Overflow at some point when coding TPA.

Soooo.. from a HUGE fan of your game, who owns a pincab, supported and tweeted out to my 200k Twitter followers about multiple TPA kickstarters in the past, and also owns *every* TPA table (and a couple TPA tables on multiple platforms, even)... could I get down on my knees and beg for an official response on this for 2016-2017? From one fellow programmer to another... please? Pretty please with a null pointer reference on top? ;)

Good luck with getting a proper response :) I emailed them a year or so ago and they told me (I have the email somewhere) that cab support was being developed. That to me was the confirmation that building a cab was going to be worth doing. Then out of the blue they said cab support had been cancelled. Then after emailing again, they said it was on hold.....

What surprises me is how hard it is for FS to just come out and tell it how it is...if it's cancelled, just say it's cancelled. If it's coming, or being developed, just say so. I recently emailed Stern and asked if CS would be available for the new Pinball games being developed for PC...got nothing back.

I've said this many times...why have a pinball simulator...possibly the best around...and be the only one not to have CS. Seems like a wasted opportunity. If it wasn't for Noex's mod, i wouldn't play the game that much. I have it on iPad...but don't enjoy playing it...I have it on PS4...which is good, but no where near as enjoyable as playing on the cab. Plus, when friends come round, they never say..."Hey, switch ur PS4 on and let's play pinball". But they always ask me to switch on the cab and they enjoy playing it...even watching it being played. If it wasn't for Noex, the cab would just be used for Zen Pinball.

I hope u get a proper response from FS...and I really do hope it's the response you, and everyone else is wanting to hear :). But in the mean time, I'm just so pleased people like Noex have the skills and time to provide us with mods that at least allow CS to be available in one form or another. :)

codinghorror

Aug 13, 2013
Yes [MENTION=5267]NoEx[/MENTION] mod is amazing, but I personally find it unsatisfactory for DMD repositioning, just way too tweaky for my tastes. It definitely solves the monitor #2 problem by letting me have a dynamic backglass!

I'd love to see real multiple monitor support in TPA.

Also, if it helps for political reasons, I don't need "cabinet" support, I need "multiple monitor" support :) and that is, in fact, what it is.. slap a few monitors on a computer, and there you go.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Yes [MENTION=5267]NoEx[/MENTION] mod is amazing, but I personally find it unsatisfactory for DMD repositioning, just way too tweaky for my tastes. It definitely solves the monitor #2 problem by letting me have a dynamic backglass!

I'd love to see real multiple monitor support in TPA.

Also, if it helps for political reasons, I don't need "cabinet" support, I need "multiple monitor" support :) and that is, in fact, what it is.. slap a few monitors on a computer, and there you go.

Yeah, i see what you mean about the term Cab Support...multi monitor support sounds better. I like the way Zen has made their multi monitor support nice and easy ( although they call it cab support :) ) but if there was one thing I could change, that would be a playfield resizing like you can do with the backglass and their dmd screen. Zen have made it nice and simple to adjust the backglass and dmd...but the playfield sometime looks a little small on my setup sometimes...if that could be altered slightly then that would be great...but still, their setup is pretty good...and nice and simple too. If only FS would do the same.

Perhaps FS should employ Noex ;) Imaging what he could do with Full Access to the game :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts