Any tournaments etc in the north of England?

Martin Rusby

Nov 6, 2012
Hi all - I have been salivating looking at pics of the tables at the texas pinball festival and was wondering if anyone knew of anything that might take place at any time near me (i live in Yorkshire)
I used to play a lot of tables round the pubs and arcades in Sheffield and Doncaster during the early 90s boom years but its ages since i played a real table.Now i'm married with kids there's not much opportunity to seek out tables in the area.Would love to go somewhere if it wasn't too far to travel (don't drive either)

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
The UK pinball party should be taking place at the end of august in Daventry. Was good fun last year, how far would that be for you?

Also you should join the pinballinfo forum or the yahoo UK pinball group to keep up with pinball news and gossip with UK pinheads

Last edited:

Martin Rusby

Nov 6, 2012
Thanks Kevlar -that looks great and not too costly.I will keep an eye on the site for updates.Are the tables free to play once you are in?

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
The main place I've been scratching my Pinball itch recently in the good old NW is the play.expo events held annually in Oct for the past 2 years at Event City Manchester (next door to Trafford Centre).
Awesome events with around 100+ Pinball tables all on free play and competitions during the weekend. There are consoles, computer and video games too, but I stick with the pins personally.
Website here... http://www.playexpo.net

The pins are organised through Northern lights Pinball, but Carl Spiby (this forum) is the guy to talk to, as he plays in their League.

More of an unknown, but the organisers are having an early, additional Blackpool event this year 3rd & 4th of May in addition to the big October one, which does promise Pinball but I don't know how much as this will be my first time to this one, but I'm gonna go, and if you like I'll buy you a pint of over priced expo lager.
Website is... http://www.playblackpool.com

Are Northern lights going to Blackpool in May Carl? I asked David Dutton on Facebook but he couldn't give me an answer at the time.

Oct 2013
esaru5a6.jpg

Oct 2012
e2u7y2e5.jpg

Last edited:

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
There's the Northern league too, we play once a month.

Next one is this Sunday in Halifax.

Northern lights won't be bringing any machines to Blackpool as its too close to the Slam at the Easter weekend.

There's NERG in July over at Gateshead which should have quite a few pinballs.

Www.northeastretrogaming.com

Last edited:

Martin Rusby

Nov 6, 2012
many thanks Baron and Carl -The play.expo looks fantastic! Manchester not too far to travel.Now i just have to convince the wife to let me go lol.Had a weekend away in blackpool back in my single days and spent most of it playing T2 in an arcade! Just got to talk the wife into letting me go lol.I will take you up on that pint Baron!

PS Carl - does your league ever come to South Yorks?

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
The past 2 October Play.expo's have been great covering the 2 days of the weekend.
You can buy tickets a couple of months in advance (don't just turn up) , either for both or for individual days, normally about £10 per adult a day.
First year I went on the Saturday which is the busiest day.
Last year tried the Sunday which was a bit more chilled but has the draw back of people starting to pack up and take the pins down mid afternoon onwards.
They get busy and despite the 100+ pins you end up stalking around diving on pins as someone walks away, or cueing for one you really fancy. Great event though.
You normally see a thread go up on here closer to the event.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
many thanks Baron and Carl -The play.expo looks fantastic! Manchester not too far to travel.Now i just have to convince the wife to let me go lol.Had a weekend away in blackpool back in my single days and spent most of it playing T2 in an arcade! Just got to talk the wife into letting me go lol.I will take you up on that pint Baron!

PS Carl - does your league ever come to South Yorks?
Marsden is probably as close as it gets but my geography is a little sketchy.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I've emailed playblackpool asking how many pins they'll have.
If I get an answer I'll post back.

Just got this response back from play organisers.

"Sorry for the slow response. As it stands we do not have any pinball confirmed for Blackpool. We are hopeful that we will get around a dozen machines confirmed between now and the show, but we cannot guarantee this. There are loads of other great activities available though!"

I might not bother with the Blackpool event personally, because of the quantity of tables and the unconfirmed status.

Looking forward to Oct's Event City expo though!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts