Audio improvements - 'mechanical' sound effects.

surprise!

Aug 29, 2013
Hello! I'd just like to preface this by saying that I adore the Pinball Arcade and what Farsight are trying to achieve with their resources - I'm a lifelong pinball fan and it's great to have something that is aspiring to be authentic!

There is something that has been bothering me though, and that's the 'mechanical sounds' that are in the game at the moment - I have no idea where they were sourced from, but they don't sound anything like flippers, or bumpers, or a ballbearing hitting a solid object! They may be analogous to those sounds, but they lack the tone and weight of a proper mechanical table, and the current samples sound a little like flicking plastic and wineglasses. I feel that spending some time improving the audio here would go a huge way to improving the feel of the game.

If you have a bunch of tables in the office, then it would be really straightforward to grab a Zoom or Sony handheld recorder and get some samples of the flippers and bumpers in isolation - even keeping in the room reverb would be fine, as it's part of the mechanical sound's characteristics. It's such an easy win I'm surprised that it hasn't been done already! :)

Sorry to backseat dev, it's only because I want to see this game reach it's full potential :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hello! I'd just like to preface this by saying that I adore the Pinball Arcade and what Farsight are trying to achieve with their resources - I'm a lifelong pinball fan and it's great to have something that is aspiring to be authentic!

There is something that has been bothering me though, and that's the 'mechanical sounds' that are in the game at the moment - I have no idea where they were sourced from, but they don't sound anything like flippers, or bumpers, or a ballbearing hitting a solid object! They may be analogous to those sounds, but they lack the tone and weight of a proper mechanical table, and the current samples sound a little like flicking plastic and wineglasses. I feel that spending some time improving the audio here would go a huge way to improving the feel of the game.

If you have a bunch of tables in the office, then it would be really straightforward to grab a Zoom or Sony handheld recorder and get some samples of the flippers and bumpers in isolation - even keeping in the room reverb would be fine, as it's part of the mechanical sound's characteristics. It's such an easy win I'm surprised that it hasn't been done already! :)

Sorry to backseat dev, it's only because I want to see this game reach it's full potential :)

I have noticed sound effects on T2 are vastly improved over the other tables. Particularly the saucer eject SFX, which up until this table, was a farting noise.

I'm trying to decide whether it would be better capturing the sound effects with the glass on. I think the glass is off at the moment, and for a truly releastic effect, the slightly muffled sound of pinball mechanics is the true sound a player would normally hear.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
100% agree with all points raised, flipper and bumper sounds never sound the exactly the same between tables, bit of variety would be nice.

Mark just noticed the T2 ejecter noise, definitely much better!

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
This has been brought up many times since TPA launched last year (at least by me). FarSight has made some improvements but I doubt we'll see much more.

surprise!

Aug 29, 2013
It would be a real shame if those core assets weren't improved any further, as they just don't sound realistic at the moment. Especially with all the cool lighting upgrades in the PS4 release, it would really help it go that extra mile if it sounded as good as it looked.

I've just been playing T2 for a bit, and it does seem like there's been some improvements to the mechanic sfx that I've noticed, which is great! But there's still some ways to go, and I have faith that one day it will be gotten round to :) It might be low down on the list somewhere, but a really sweet pass on replacing the core sound samples would do wonders to this game!

Members online

Members online