Audio quality lower after reinstall

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
Don't actually own the game just yet [UK and awaiting the release!] but I have tried out the demo off the US store. After reinstalling the demo to try out the new DLC packs the first thing I noticed was the audio quality was slightly different, almost muffled in some respects after the second install.

My setup is not surround sound just a PS3> Nad amp> B&W speakers and the sound to me has definitley altered somehow. Nice to see others finding it, I thought it was just me being finicky.

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Trust me, you're not finnicky. Just educated :). Or at least that's how I like to look at it, heh.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Perhaps they applied some type of filter to the audio to make it sound less "scratchy".
I've seen this option on some game emulators to smooth out the sound, but it also makes it a bit muffled sounding.

I assume many of the samples used in these 90's pins is probably between 11khz and 22khz so it would make sense for them to try to smooth it a bit, but
perhaps they went a little overboard.

EGRyan

Jul 6, 2012
Well, I think I may have discovered what the problem was with my game audio.

Prior to the reinstall, the game audio must have been must have been two-channel mono. So my receiver was simply sending the sound to my front left & right loudspeakers, and also to my subwoofer (hence the good bass response of the game audio).

After the reinstall, the game audio was being sent to my receiver as a Dolby Pro-Logic signal, thus triggering my receiver's Pro-Logic decoding. Most of the game audio was then going to just my center channel loudspeaker, and very little to my subwoofer. I tried switching off my receiver's Pro-Logic decoding, and now the audio seems to be as it was before the reinstall!:)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Two of my friends who played the game on PS3 said that Funhouse sounds strange. One owns Funhouse himself.

Would you say it sounds better on the Williams Collection?
I don't have an original pinball machine for FH so I can't say for sure, but I do know it does sound quite a bit different from their last version (WPHOF) on all ports.
The clangs sounds more clangy (if that makes any sense).

Though I do know that not all emulation is perfect, in fact much of it has issues so I'm sure this applies to a sound only emulation as well.
Anyone who has played Sonic or Streets of Rage from the older compilations will know the sound is "off".

Hopefully this is something they can continue to improve and update.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.