Ball Physics Are Somewhat Floaty And The Table Plays A Little Too Slow

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
They've adjusted the outlanes in the next update, so be prepared for more drains there at least.
They don't really need to adjust the outlane geometry, they just need to move the outlane posts up a notch. They've got them all the way down, which in CV's case effectively closes them.

Oh good. ;) Any word on whether the Acrobat Spin loop from right to left and round the back of the DMD has been fixed? The current version always drains SDTM, which I'm pretty certain it shouldn't do.
Normally I'd suggest nudging, but given the harebrained controls for nudging on iOS (I'm presuming they're the same for Android), I've found it's easier to just hold up the left flipper. The ball will bounce off the tip into the right sling and from there into the Menagerie area, which can be dangerous but is obviously preferable to a SDTM.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
I hope the developers are still going to adjust the physics on this table as for the ball is still too floaty on the latest iOS version of the game.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
The ball movement on the Ringmaster seems very optimistic, but it does not behave like this on a real table. On a real table, when the Ringmaster starts to move it's head, the ball falls off, but in the Pinball Arcade version it's spinning the ball (I admit, it looks very cool) a couple of rounds before it falls off. But is it realistic? I don't think it is possible the way it is right now.. and after all, it's a pinball simulation of the real thing, right?

i played two different cv-s in rl (one had a blue neon and the other purple, both had a green menagerie ball tough), and if i remember correctly on one machine the ball did indeed spin around before dropping off just like in tpa, and on the other it seemed to fall right off, when the ringmaster started to move...

so i guess the trick is in the magnet on the ringmaster and how pristine it is...

or my memory is really effed up, coz its been what? cca 15 years ago :eek:

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
The only time I feel it is real slow is whenever multiball kicks in, but I'm not surprised I've played a lot of visual pinball and there are a huge number of lights flashing and I'm sure it effects gameplay even on consoles I'm playing it on PS3.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
After playing this on Xbox I can't help but feel like the physics are feeling very Williams Collection - a little too floaty for my liking.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
After playing this on Xbox I can't help but feel like the physics are feeling very Williams Collection - a little too floaty for my liking.
No, it's not that bad. It may be slow, but the directions have logic to them, and are not randomly chosen. Each new table they apparently make adjustments to the physics, trying to fix what play testers complain about. I suspect this slowness is the result of all the complaints about the ball being too fast. This is a good illustration of the challenges FS faces in perfecting their physics engine: fix one thing, it breaks something else.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012

Hmm I'm trying to delve into this table. Last night I finally got somewhat of a grasp of the table without reading the instructions. I'm sure there is a lot more to this table than I realize. When I first played it I didn't particularly care for it. Mostly because the ball felt too 'floaty' for my liking. I really do think they did an excellent job with the physics on Bride and Funhouse. All the tables should go that route. I still feel CV and MM need some tweaks on the Physics aspect. It's playable but not as much as I would like.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
after just having a longer session i must concur... the ball is way too floaty, and the playabilty indeed does suffer becouse of it :(

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
After spending some time on the Xbox 360 version of CV, I can reconfirm that the ball physics are indeed too floaty and the ball lacks the weight that's present on most tables. This is very noticable during multi-ball as the balls seem to spend too much time hovering around the middle of the playfield and tend to get in each other's way much too often.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
After spending some time on the Xbox 360 version of CV, I can reconfirm that the ball physics are indeed too floaty and the ball lacks the weight that's present on most tables. This is very noticable during multi-ball as the balls seem to spend too much time hovering around the middle of the playfield and tend to get in each other's way much too often.
I really need to find a physical Cirqus Voltaire...I don't remember the real table being that much faster than TPA. Of course, it's entirely possible I'm remembering one that was set too shallow.

At any rate, don't overdo fixing it FarSight! (I for one don't want a repeat of the bastard outlanes from hell on the iOS version.)

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Spend some time with CV for the first time tonight. Great table, love it, want to sink my teeth in it.

That said, it's indeed floaty. I don't mind slower play and I can see that being realistic. It's the "ball bounces too high and acts just a wee bit too like a balloon" that needs to be tuned down a bit. A bit more weight on the ball, a tad more incline on the table and it's perfect.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Both would help those killer side drains I mean lanes. 1 game every ball went down the right even my 2 extra balls.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think in most of my playtime, i think the bounciness of the rubber on the flippers still needs to be toned down very slightly. That and the arc of the ball going cross table seems much too gradual.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.