Best platform to play TPA ?

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
Which platform of TPA has the best in Sound and GFX? I have iPhone, but it seems GFX and SFX are dubbed down. I don't want to waste money on an inferior version. I don't own a high end PC or PS4, will we see upgraded GFX/SFX for iOS in the near future? I would rather play/invest on mobile purchases... but not with the current quality!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
If you are disappointed with Fish Tales and Black Rose on the mobiles, then I would wait. Because they are two of the better mobile recreations. Sound is compressed and the lighting is nothing like the PC or PS4 versions. I wouldn't expect any giant improvements either. FS is a little handcuffed by the lower end android and iOS devices they still support. They just can't handle the juice needed to create the quality of the PC and console look and sound.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Which platform of TPA has the best in Sound and GFX? I have iPhone, but it seems GFX and SFX are dubbed down. I don't want to waste money on an inferior version. I don't own a high end PC or PS4, will we see upgraded GFX/SFX for iOS in the near future? I would rather play/invest on mobile purchases... but not with the current quality!

Are you asking what is the best platform to play TPA on or are you asking when will the apple mobile platform be up to your specifications?

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Are you asking what is the best platform to play TPA on or are you asking when will the apple mobile platform be up to your specifications?

The OP clearly asked: "Which platform of TPA has the best in Sound and GFX?"

Then OP then proceeded to answer their own question: "a high end PC or PS4"

Obviously, mobile platforms don't have the horsepower of consoles and PCs.

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
mobile platforms also has massive input lag due to displays used with hardly any exception. I don´t understand how people can have fun with pinball on mobiles.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
mobile platforms also has massive input lag due to displays used with hardly any exception. I don´t understand how people can have fun with pinball on mobiles.

This simply isn't true.
Buy a decent device and it will have zero lag with TPA.

A first gen Nexus 7 can be had for $100, has no lag, plays all tables beautifully, has bluetooth controller sync which gives you analogue nudging now, and also has portrait view.
Shake nudge works really well on the N7 mk1 too. And you get open beta access on Android - I've been playing Bk2k for a week now.
Has two additional benefits, firstly I can take it to work for my breaks, secondly I can still play whilst the family hogs the tv / console / pc.

I've tried TPA on many mobile devices now, ios and Android (every time someone wants me to set one up for them basically) and only the cheapest have problems.

I occasionally play on my SGS4 too which again has no lag, but I prefer the bigger screen of my tablet.

I have a pc that will run TPA, but I really don't feel the need. Android is my platform for TPA.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
What BT controller do you use Baron?

I've got a Moga Pro I bought about 6 months back for £40. If I was buying again I'd go for a Nyko playpad pro (eBay £20).
These (and other) controllers will connect wirelessly to any bluetooth Android device os4.0 (ics) upwards, and you do not need to have rooted the device. The device recognises it as a native controller.
TPA Android now has native controller support, which gives you analogue plunge on rh controller stick, and (best of all) analogue nudge on the left controller stick. Flippers can either be shoulder buttons or switchable to the triggers (which ever isn't the flippers becomes special button/trigger/button launch - so if flippers = shoulder buttons, special is trigger).

Plays really awesome, totally lag free.

You can also just plug a wired ps3 controller in via a usb/otg adapter and that works too, but you have the hassle of the wire.

If rooted - ps3 & Sixaxis app (without touch mapping) also works with TPA.

I'll dig the link to the discussion thread for you.
Edit - here it is... http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=7
[Explained] Controller Support Options for Android

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
I have two iOS devices, an iPad, first generation with 64GB, and a 16GB 4S iPhone.

To my somewhat inferior eyes, both seem to have great graphics, when compared to the platforms of old. I've not seen TPA on any other platforms, I do wish I had an Air. I have seen other games on one, but saw them on a 73 inch mounted 15 feet away on a Best Buy wall.

For sound, I've cheated. My iPad pretty much stays in a Jensen JiPS-250i. Amazingly, while in this docking port, the ability to position the iPad in any position, and to never have to worry about the charge dropping slightly trumps the muddled bass. The antidote to that is a decent pair of over the ear headphones.

"Best platform to play TPA" can only be answered if you've played on more than one. But, here my observation on mine.

Dec 7, 2013
I would say;

PS4 > or = to PC as the top. PS4 has the best graphics now, but PC has -all- the tables, and is first to get them. That is more important than graphics, which PC will soon be getting the updated PS4 lighting engine soon anyway.

Then I would rank: iOS > PS3 > Android > Ouya > Xbox 360. If they fix the lag in the next patch I'd go ahead and put PS3 above iOS. I rank Android behind them both because in my experience, every Android device (and I've tried around 5) plays the game in a laggy, wierd framerate. 360 is obvious. It's a great version of the game, but it's only 10 tables and it's just so far behind in patches and updates, and it's unlikely (if you ask me) that it will ever be sorted out. I never say never though, and if it ever does get fixed I'd probably put it in 2nd or 3rd.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
same here, I got a galaxy s3 and a note 10.1. The graphics are beautiful and I do not suffer lag, stuttering or slowdowns...

I have TPA on PC, and while the graphics are indeed better I love playing on my note 10.1 for portrait mode.
portrait mode is awesome for pinball!!!

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013

I play on PC and a lot on IPhone 4S no lag and made it to #154 in the tourney, adapt and overcome.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
...I love playing on my note 10.1 for portrait mode.
portrait mode is awesome for pinball!!!

yeah, thats why I play on a PC - in a cabinet :)
no really, it so awesome. it startet with me playing fx2 on my TV half a year ago. I sat in front of the TV with my keyboard and thought: hey, wouldn't it be be nice to turn that TV 90° and maybe to have some decent flipper-buttons to control it?
After some googling around I discovered that there's this whole virtual pinball and cab builders scene. a little bit geeky and not for the mass market I admit, but if you really love pinball and can't afford to buy real ones (who has the space needed anyway), this is the closest thing you get.
And with TPAs cabinet support coming along (and Pro-Pinball Timeshock), I see a bright future for this.

So "Cabinet" is definetly the platform to play on :)

when I'm on the road or can't leave the couch it plays very well on my "very" old android tablet as well....

Last edited:

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Yeah, a virtual/pinball/cab seems great, I've see cool videos on youtube ^^

On another topic, I made a bartop Mamecab and in the back of my head I see myself making a pincab one day ^^

just for the hell of it, a pic of my bartop mamecab ^^

175117_1845498667248_1694800_o.jpg

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
I've got a Moga Pro I bought about 6 months back for £40. If I was buying again I'd go for a Nyko playpad pro (eBay £20).
These (and other) controllers will connect wirelessly to any bluetooth Android device os4.0 (ics) upwards, and you do not need to have rooted the device. The device recognises it as a native controller.
TPA Android now has native controller support, which gives you analogue plunge on rh controller stick, and (best of all) analogue nudge on the left controller stick. Flippers can either be shoulder buttons or switchable to the triggers (which ever isn't the flippers becomes special button/trigger/button launch - so if flippers = shoulder buttons, special is trigger).

Plays really awesome, totally lag free.

You can also just plug a wired ps3 controller in via a usb/otg adapter and that works too, but you have the hassle of the wire.

If rooted - ps3 & Sixaxis app (without touch mapping) also works with TPA.

I'll dig the link to the discussion thread for you.
Edit - here it is... http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=7
[Explained] Controller Support Options for Android

Thanks for this Baron. I've a PS3 controller and an OTG cable but couldn't get the damn thing to work. The nyko looks interesting.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
since TPA came to pc and ps4 I don`t touch my Samsung note ,ps3 or my xbox 360.i must admit since I got xbox 1 and ps4 the others can`t compare with these two consoles,like comparing chalk with cheese !!! :cool:

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
since TPA came to pc and ps4 I don`t touch my Samsung note ,ps3 or my xbox 360.i must admit since I got xbox 1 and ps4 the others can`t compare with these two consoles,like comparing chalk with cheese !!! :cool:

Cheese please let's not start that again ��

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts