Android - Request Beta Build with High-Resolution Tables Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
You could also try killing off running apps, and clearing the RAM to improve your performance.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
It's actually not that we can't push higher graphics, it is the fact that due to the nature of our game we have to run at 60fps for the physics to react properly. A lot of games will clamp to 30 and push more graphics, but we just can't do that. That being said I think the hardware will catch up soon, I can't wait until we can actually right shaders with lighting....

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It's actually not that we can't push higher graphics, it is the fact that due to the nature of our game we have to run at 60fps for the physics to react properly. A lot of games will clamp to 30 and push more graphics, but we just can't do that. That being said I think the hardware will catch up soon, I can't wait until we can actually right shaders with lighting....

So that is the key. Lock at 60 fps *and* push more detailed graphics for TPA physics to work correctly.

Even with Tegra 3 this can't be done, eh? Zen must be running their high res graphics at 30 fps then, or it must be the particulars of their engine that allows them to push higher frame rates. There are some tables that look so crisp.

Thanks for letting us know, Ryan. Well just have to wait until some higher spec devices come onto the market. Roll on Tegra 4, eh!

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
You're forgetting the rom emulation takes quite a bit of CPU power, Zen isn't having to emulate anything.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
You're forgetting the rom emulation takes quite a bit of CPU power, Zen isn't having to emulate anything.

That's a valid observation. Zen is all hand crafted rule sets executing in their native environment. That's indeed a very big difference.

Damianiw

Jun 23, 2013
That's a valid observation. Zen is all hand crafted rule sets executing in their native environment. That's indeed a very big difference.

Indeed yes the rom emulation is different.

So all versions run at 60fps ? blimey I didn't realise the ipad 2 was pushing that.

I doubt zen runs 60fps

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
What happens to the physics when the device can't maintain 60fps? RBioN on my Nexus 10 for example...

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
What happens to the physics when the device can't maintain 60fps? RBioN on my Nexus 10 for example...

You can start to see artifacts like the ball might appear to have done something impossible like go through a flipper or bounce off something not there. The physics engine continues to run at 60fps so you're getting more physics calculations than you're seeing.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
It will be clamped to 30fps, our engine was not designed to handle anything in between. At 30fps it appears to lag and since the ball is moving so fast but the renderer can't keep up with it it appears to be doing strange things (ghosting etc). Something we have struggled with from day 1. We experimented with variable rate physics but never got it to work.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
It will be clamped to 30fps, our engine was not designed to handle anything in between. At 30fps it appears to lag and since the ball is moving so fast but the renderer can't keep up with it it appears to be doing strange things (ghosting etc). Something we have struggled with from day 1. We experimented with variable rate physics but never got it to work.

It's a pity that there's no option for having the game slow down render time in order to stay in sync with the physics engine. Sort of like bullet time in the Matrix, with multiball! :)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It's a pity that there's no option for having the game slow down render time in order to stay in sync with the physics engine. Sort of like bullet time in the Matrix, with multiball! :)

Actually it is the opposite. Rendering is getting delayed while the physics keep jugging along. Ryan was saying above your post that they tried to make the physics variable to match the rendering but they couldn't get it to work correctly.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Actually it is the opposite. Rendering is getting delayed while the physics keep jugging along. Ryan was saying above your post that they tried to make the physics variable to match the rendering but they couldn't get it to work correctly.

I understand now, thanks for pointing it out.

Damianiw

Jun 23, 2013
Its been an interesting read, is there any performance increase likely as I've got a tegra3 android tablet, my wife an ipad2 and I will probably buy table pack 1 or 2 but so far the ipad is far smoother on some of the really complex tables :-(

Regards

Damian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.