Big Shot Screenshot

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just snagged PHOF GOTTLIEB COLLECTION $10 for PSP wich I owned on Disc many years ago, EM's with better physics can be fun but there is a reason we moved on. This wont sale well with the option to individualy purchase tables, at least its bundled with ELIVIRA SS.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Without EM, there would be no Modern pinball, let alone pinball emulation. And Big Shot is one of the all time great EMs. Please show respect where respect is due. Excellent choice of table for first EM!

To each his (or her) own. I enjoy EM's, but I realize they aren't for everyone.

Without Bagatelle there would be no pinball, but I don't think I'd really buy a Bagatelle table pack for TPA. :p
89074.jpg

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Without EM, there would be no Modern pinball, let alone pinball emulation. And Big Shot is one of the all time great EMs. Please show respect where respect is due. Excellent choice of table for first EM!
It has nothing to do with lack of respect. I respect EM tables' place in pinball history...but that doesn't mean I have to play them now.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I HATED JIVE TIME! on PHOF TWC but after playing it in real life, well it had a different name but exactly the same. Its playable:) I was playing it while waiting on a 2player game of X-MEN. I think FS should hold off the EM's and make a 4pac for $5 since thet ARE going to remake PHOF TGC SUPRISED?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

First post and he comes out swinging and putting whipper snappers in their place!

But yeah, I fall into the other camp. Thanks for showing us the way EMs, but I got no time for you!

In a lot of ways it reminds me of the many times I've had the discussion of 'greatest films of all time'. The easy answer is of course Citizen Cain, but my response has always been, "you mean to tell me that 70 years later there has not been one film that is better or made advancements to film making like that movie?" And that's when the "well if it wasn't for that movie..." argument starts up. Well, there's a lot of 'those' movies, just like there are a lot of 'those' tables. And as we get older, eventually we all get to a point where we say "things just aren't as good today as they were in mine".

I just don't honestly think that if you put an EM and a more modern table side by side and let someone who has never experienced pinball before, they'd wind up preferring the EM. No way.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I like both old and new, but....you know me.... if I had to pick just one era, I am more partial to the older stuff (Early SS is my wheelhouse) from before my time. Sometimes I tire of the newer tables, as they can get a bit too cluttered for my taste. These older machines can be a breath of fresh air in that regard, and they're great for working on your aiming and nudging skills. Plus, I don't always have time for an hour long marathon on RBION or TOM, so it's nice to have something that will kick my ass in just a couple minutes!

I guess when it boils down to it, I like my pinball like I like my music: classic and colorful.

And I don't think a new player will always favor the modern tables either. I recently took a buddy of mine to play a few pins, and he'd never really played much before. The machine he ended up liking the most was the oldest of the bunch. So even newer players can lean either way.

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Not likening a table because its it's EM I equate with not liking a movie just because its B&W. just because there are advancement in the technical aspects of film making, doesn't make it better (I'm looking at you Michael Bay). Same with cars. There are some great EMs just are there are some sucky modern SS tables.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
At last an EM - it has a nice ball reflection, so hopefully the table lights will reflect as well.

I think the reason I love EMs so much is I like the idea of mechanical moving parts, the sounds they make. There is something special about them.

silverjaguar7

Sep 26, 2012
Looks great. Will be my first EM. I think I'd would still prefer newer machines by far, but some of these older ones have a really cool flair bout them. Like time warp, would love to try that one too!

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
Looks nice and clean which is part of the charm of those EMs. The way the flippers look have me really worried though... didn't it have those stubbier ones?

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
And I don't think a new player will always favor the modern tables either. I recently took a buddy of mine to play a few pins, and he'd never really played much before. The machine he ended up liking the most was the oldest of the bunch. So even newer players can lean either way.

My wife, who is not a big pinball fan, seems to like earlier SS tables best because the simpler goals are easier to understand than the profusion of distracting stuff on Nineties and 2000s DMD tables. She actually got hooked on Pin*Bot, which is really a pretty tough table, because opening the visor and locking balls inside for multiball was a clear progression of things to shoot for.

(My daughter, on the other hand, likes The Addams Family best, probably just for the joyous goofiness of it.)

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I HATED JIVE TIME! on PHOF TWC but after playing it in real life, well it had a different name but exactly the same. Its playable:)

Must have been "Rock 'N Roll", the add-a-ball version:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1981
It's interesting to hear that. I actually found Jive Time strangely addictive, probably because it drained so maddeningly fast. But if it ate quarters that fast in real life, I'd probably get frustrated really quickly.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
EMs are actually my least favorite tables of the bunch, but Ironically, 2 of my absolute favorite tables happen to be EMs.

I'm excited to see this in the bunch, i'm hoping it's far enough along that it doesn't get delayed too much for us 360 owners. It's really something i think I'd rather play on the console with fine tuned nudging

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Big Shot is one of the few EMs I've played in real life, I loved it again in Gottlieb Collection, and it's the oldest of my 1973-2012 pinball sales flyer collection (meaning it's the first one I see anytime I open my binder). I couldn't be happier to see it getting the proper treatment for TPA, and while I think it's best to keep the EM selection conservative, some great classics like this, Fireball, and Slick Chick are more than welcome, in my opinion.

bigshotpfc.jpg

PINBALL FLYER COLLECTION:
http://imageshack.us/a/img713/4470/pfck.jpg

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
I might be wrong about this of course... but I have this gut feeling that this will be one of my most played tables so far. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.