BlahCade 48: Jarful, Meaty, Prickly, Pinball Discussion

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I think (based on a Google search) they are simply known as "sandwich grills" here in the states. The ones I used to see at the county fair, where they'd make fruit pies and blueberry muffins, looked like this:

ts1000_big.jpg

I have no idea if that is actually what Jared was talking about though!

These gizmos are the best things on earth. Slightly better are the panini press things with the flexible hinge on the rear but back in the day, nothing beat the toastie sandwich maker. Always took practice making sure the middle came out between cold and center of the sun hot but once you had the touch, fantastic.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014

actually points to epi 48! just sayin'. :)

p.s. bah - you can do the same with a good ole' foreman grill - or even a waffle iron! mmmm, squares! (and the good old kinds have reversible plates, usually squares on one side, flat on the other, so you can really double-purpose it as a griddle or whatever... i prize my sixties-era one; it's as solid and reliable as anything when i want something nice from it!)

p.p.s "hobo-pie makers" - those things i bet that looked like the olde'-tyme popcorn-on-the-skillet things? "as fun to make as it's fun to eat!" like a pan out on a coat-hanger and hold it over a fire; turn it over once in a while in your hand... can practically make those yourself if you wanted to if you have an iron-welder handy...

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
I've seen The Shadow. Suffice it to say, the pinball is immensely superior. Also Shadow has an in-built advantage vs Johnny Mnemonic and Congo, because I've played the pinball. I wouldn't mind Demo Man, but Shadow is better.
Just FWIW, I remember that I quite liked Johnny Mnemonic. I made it a point to watch every movie that a pinball was based on back in the day. Most were crap. I don't think I got through Congo. I think I got through Shadow, but only because I was playing a drinking game with the table's callouts. Demo Man I didn't like. Anyway, I wish JMn was on TV sometime, I want to watch it again.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I watched Johny Mnemonic for the first time maybe 2 years ago. It was terrible, especially when you consider that it has many of the same tech themes as The Matrix. Maybe if I'd seen it back in the day I'd be more forgiving of it. After all, back then I actually liked Tank Girl even with it's stupid kangaroos! And JM was certainly better than Lawnmower Man or Freejack, the other cyberpunk stories of the day.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Site was being rebuilt when you clicked probably [MENTION=465]karl[/MENTION]. Give it a go now.

For those guys who provided initial testing feedback, I think I've got it nailed now. Some misconfiguration in the image path settings was causing the page indexes to not display things quite right (and have lead to a documentation update to the HubPress Admin Guide). So thanks for making me dig on these.

The issues with the image takeovers have been subdued a bit by activating the "uno" theme, which is a slightly darker theme than "uno-zen". We lose the flat post listing for page one, but considering the site is going to be used as a content serving platform for the most part, I think that should be an OK trade-off.

Now the images and all that junk are showing up right, I'll leave this style bake for a bit.

Thanks again for the site feedback.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I watched Johny Mnemonic for the first time maybe 2 years ago. It was terrible, especially when you consider that it has many of the same tech themes as The Matrix. Maybe if I'd seen it back in the day I'd be more forgiving of it.

It lost me when the dolphin showed up.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.