BUG: TPA 4.10 and Yosemite, Tables extremely slow.

DMjoselito

Oct 30, 2012
not sure if App Nap is just for laptops, I think it's for any Macs. Here is some info here: http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable-app-nap-mac-os-x/
Also, if you get the slowdown problem, it's always useful to quit and relaunch TPA: that also worked for me.

It doesn't work for me in Yosemite (10.10.1) I've turned off App Nap in the system (for all applications) and TPA slowdowns are still there. :-(

Thanks

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
I, too was experiencing what I've come to call the 'Zack Snyder effect' (in which the entire system slows down, then speeds back up again), and I may have stumbled onto a solution.

I am now using a custom ball on all the tables (the yellow 'smiley face' ball, as it tends to be more visible on most of the tables). Once I set the custom ball on all the tables, the 'Zack Snyder effect' appears to have vanished, and all tables play at a consistent speed.

No other settings have been altered.

27" iMac (Late 2013)
3.4GHz Intel Core i5
24GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.10.1

Is anyone else willing to try this 'fix' and report back here?

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
Well, Nutbunnies...:(

I'm now getting a consistent framerate, and the only thing I changed (as far as I can tell) were the custom ball settings.

Well, it was worth a shot... I had hoped I had found a fix...:(

Dirty Frank

Feb 20, 2013
Well, Nutbunnies...:(

I'm now getting a consistent framerate, and the only thing I changed (as far as I can tell) were the custom ball settings.

Well, it was worth a shot... I had hoped I had found a fix...:(

If yours is working you did find a fix. I set all my custom balls to the eyeball,my favorite and had no luck. Just to be sure I'll set the yellow smiley face on all my tables and report here.

Mamebase

Feb 20, 2014
It occurred to me that in addition to the custom ball setup for each table, I also have the camera set to 'Locked', and the angle set to 'High (3)'

Again, this is for all tables.
[MENTION=2154]Dirty Frank[/MENTION] - If you could, try those settings, and see if it makes a difference

Jay

May 19, 2012
I am now using a custom ball on all the tables (the yellow 'smiley face' ball, as it tends to be more visible on most of the tables). Once I set the custom ball on all the tables, the 'Zack Snyder effect' appears to have vanished, and all tables play at a consistent speed.

Is anyone else willing to try this 'fix' and report back here?

I tried it. I also tried setting the table to locked overhead. I tried turning off the HUD. I tried every freaking setting I could find. The slowdown always happens.

It seems to me that over the last few updates it isn't as bad. It usually takes longer before it happens, and it doesn't last as long. But it's still there on all tables. Never any problems on iOS, though.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
the slowdown only occurs with me when I'm playing/streaming video
if I try to do screen capture video of PA, it slows right down

I will also have an occasional slow down/speed up moment if I'm running iTunes and the song changes

Speaking of using it with iTunes, it would be REALLY nice if PA had volume control to balance the sound with iTunes.
PA tends to be louder than iTunes (PA rocks with music!)
just a simple 1-10 would be fine, just so I can back off PA to 8 or 9

Robobi

Jan 31, 2015
I have a mac pro. I was running PA on Mavericks with no problems. Then the other day I updated to Yosemite. I experienced the frame rate issue. Really frustrating. That led me to this forum.
I tried a couple things mentioned above like resetting my PRAM etc. Nothing seamed to work. I Pmed a guy from PA and he replied that its an issue with Yosemite and that Apple has been made aware and PA is not the only game affected by this. Soon there will be a patch.

THEN!... I was playing the game locked at 30fps. I was messing around and I turned my monitor to Portrait and changed the display settings 90 degrees to get the full long table effect. Played the game like this for a bit (at 30 fps).

When I was done I rotated my monitor and changed the display settings back to landscape. The next time I played PA (just Landscape). I changed the settings to NOT be locked at 30fps. There was NO FPS lag and has not been for a few days now!

I am not sure what has fixed this. But it runs perfect now. So I thought I would share. Good luck!

Jay

May 19, 2012
That's really weird. Keep us posted if the lag comes back, or whether it stays away. I've found that sometimes it takes while (a couple of balls) time for the lag to start, and then it happens pretty regularly. I've played with the 30fps setting and haven't seen any difference on my Mac Pro.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
I would love to get a breakdown on what exactly is going wrong with OSX. Wish one of the devs would post that here.

Jay

May 19, 2012
If it's any consolation, I tried the Steam for Mac version of TPA. Exact same slowdown issues.

Robobi

Jan 31, 2015
Ok...so I have found this works every time. You have to do this every time you reboot your mac. Start Pinball arcade on Stream...play a table...it will do the slow down thing. Exit the game. Go to System Preferences---> Displays and rotate 90 degrees. Hit apply...
Then change it back to normal. Then go to Pinball arcade. Everything will work fine. I have done this like 10 times (reboots) in the past week. I happened upon this by accident just trying to play portrait one time and when I changed back it worked like it used to on the old Mavericks OSX

Good Luck!

Rob

KoSLoW

Feb 28, 2012
Hello, i have the same issue here :( I just buy a brand new macbook pro and table have slow time, unplayable for me :(

I made a video here : http://youtu.be/mcDoRDJLv8U

Configuration (runing yosemite): I5 2.5ghz / 4gb ddr3 / intel HD 4000

Help us Farsight ;)

Jay

May 19, 2012
Go to System Preferences---> Displays and rotate 90 degrees. Hit apply...
Then change it back to normal.

Incredible! That worked for me, not only with the Steam version but also with the native Mac version. I played lengthy sessions in each, and not one instance of slow-down. It must be a graphics glitch with Yosemite.

Thanks, Rob! You've made the game playable again.

KoSLoW

Feb 28, 2012
Finally it work for me too :) i just searched one hour how to rotate the screen (i'm new on osx) but good now ! i think a patch can resolve this problem

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts