Building A Virtual Pinball Cabinet

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Well...Im officially stuck :)

Trying to design the speaker grill section. Basing this on the Funhouse table still, so I may opt to drill all the holes rather than get a speaker mesh. Problem is, the DMD cutout is part of the speaker grill section. Ive taken measurements from the funhouse table, but I don't actually have a DMD, and don't really know how big they are and wether my cut out will be too small or too big. Im looking to make a purchase for one, but haven't really got a clue what Im supposed to order and wether or not there are suppliers in the UK for these, or would I have to ship from the US ie Virtu pin.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this. As always, any help is most welcome. :)

Carny_Priest

Jan 9, 2015
Don't have a link, but you can google Vichay for a spec sheet. They might also lost local dealers. I think VirtuaPin has the model number you would use to lookup.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Here are details of my Vishay (ignore spelling in screenshot :)). The cutout is smaller than the the full DMD unit size. I made it like that so that it sits inside tightly. You should probably not cut that part until you get the DMD, but at least you have a rough idea.

silverballs_pin.png

You will also need a PinDMD (v2 nowadays) to connect the real DMD to the USB port of the PC. I think the only sellers now are Virtuapin and a German shop. The developer (Russ) is in the UK but doesn't ship them anymore. I have a PinDMD1 and asked him about shipping me a PinDMD2 but he redirected me to Virtuapin (The VPForums owner runs it).

I think other DMDs can also be used - I am a bit out of touch nowadays so maybe someone else can help (or someone at VPForums).

Edit:
This shop used to sell the PinDMD, but now it looks like they sell a cheaper unit, so I don't know how well they work. Also the DMDs are unbranded I think:
http://www.vpin-shop.de/epages/64158583.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64158583/Categories/DMD

PinDMD2 (this mentions compatible displays):
http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=98

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Thanks guys. Im looking at Virtuapin now. They have kits...LED and Plasma...means nothing to me. :( Ive sent them a quick email. Whatever I get has to be compatible with VP and TPA (if and when) and Im guessing these kits are. I just don't know what they mean. Im sure I'll look back in a few months and think...duh, there was a time when I didn't even know what a Plasma DMD was...but you gotta start learning at some point I suppose.

The other thing is the H channel between the cab and the playfield glass. Is this a must have, or a luxury. I can see the benefit of having one, but they are hard to get hold of too.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Thanks guys. Im looking at Virtuapin now. They have kits...LED and Plasma...means nothing to me. :( Ive sent them a quick email. Whatever I get has to be compatible with VP and TPA (if and when) and Im guessing these kits are. I just don't know what they mean. Im sure I'll look back in a few months and think...duh, there was a time when I didn't even know what a Plasma DMD was...but you gotta start learning at some point I suppose.

The other thing is the H channel between the cab and the playfield glass. Is this a must have, or a luxury. I can see the benefit of having one, but they are hard to get hold of too.

I bought the Virtuapin cab builders kit and did use the H channel. It does allow the glass to nicely sit in it at the back of the cab (you can faintly see it in my picture above) There might be a way of supporting the glass without it but for about $10 might be worth getting one. Maybe others can comment.

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=94

I have a Led DMD. At the time I bought it I think Plasmas were tricky due to voltage but maybe that is all handled now (might be wrong).

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I bought the Virtuapin cab builders kit and did use the H channel. It does allow the glass to nicely sit in it at the back of the cab (you can faintly see it in my picture above) There might be a way of supporting the glass without it but for about $10 might be worth getting one. Maybe others can comment.

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=94

I have a Led DMD. At the time I bought it I think Plasmas were tricky due to voltage but maybe that is all handled now (might be wrong).

Is it just personal preference why somebody would have LED or Plasma?

Also, I have the plastic piece for the top, but the table I took measurements from had channel down the sides. It was 'h' channel I think, and it guided the playfield glass. Cant seem to find this anywhere.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Is it just personal preference why somebody would have LED or Plasma?

Also, I have the plastic piece for the top, but the table I took measurements from had channel down the sides. It was 'h' channel I think, and it guided the playfield glass. Cant seem to find this anywhere.

Got you - I had the side part in the cab builders kit, but didn't use it because it needed to be fitted like t-moulding and I didn't have the tools to cut a channel out. So for me I have the part you have plus chrome side rails and lockdown bar holding the glass. I also put some baton under the glass at lockdown bar end each side to help support it, but it isn't visible as it is covered by the apron graphic.

I guess the side channels are the "Playfield Glass side rail plastics" mentioned here:http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9
So maybe he sells them separately or someone in UK sells them.

I am not sure about Plasma vs LEDs.

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Captains log... :) Very little to report this week. There's so much to consider when building one of these, so I've spent most of my time making enquires, emailing and asking lots of questions. However, I have got the cab running pfx2 all controlled via cab buttons etc. Feels so much better when ur pressing actual flipper buttons on a cab as oppose to tapping the screen of ur iPad. And there's things u don't even think about buying until you realise you need one...like a stool to sit on when playing, cause standing for some time can be tiring and most dining room chairs aren't high enough to view the playfield.

Gotta sort out the Dmd now before I can make real progress, so it a bit of fine tuning here and there, a bit of swotting up on these Dmds and then I can look at getting this cab to the next stage. :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Bit further with the project today...after getting really ****ed off with splinter after splinter (really hate using plywood) I decided I'll glue up the back box and hopefully all the other parts will fit as I make them. If they don't i'll make them fit!

Got sent the measurements for the DMD so Ive taken a chance and made the speaker panel whilst I wait for the DMD to arrive, and I'll get on with the tv bracket for the backbox. It's got to be something 'future proof' just in case there are problems with the TV later down the line. Once im happy, i'll look at a way of fixing the glass in and measure up for the remaining pieces for the backbox. Once that's done Im gonna round over all the edges, fill the holes in and sand this bad boy so I don't get more splinters!

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
However, I have got the cab running pfx2 all controlled via cab buttons etc.

What computer and what video card did you wind up getting? Did you put the PC itself in the cabinet? Or do you have the PC external to the cab and ran an umbilical cord set of wires to the cab?

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
What computer and what video card did you wind up getting? Did you put the PC itself in the cabinet? Or do you have the PC external to the cab and ran an umbilical cord set of wires to the cab?

Undecided on that yet. I have a computer in mind and it has the 970 I think its called. They said it was an SLI if that means anything to you...so I can add other cards if rewuired. I'll get that last once everything is finished. Im undecided wether it will be internal or external, but I've made my cab so that it will fit inside if needs be.

At the moment Ive been using an old laptop to test how things are, which has an underpowered Radeon HD card, but Pfx plays fine, in fact it plays great. TPA looks very poor and fuzzy, but im hoping that's just my graphics card.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Bit more progress today...DMD ordered and backbox pretty much finished with regards to the construction. Got the tv mounted and got the tv to show the virtual dmd in PFX2...only problem is with it being on the top monitor its a little too high to read without risking losing the balls. Hopefully Zen will one day have real dmd integration, but for now this will do. A little bit more filming for part 3 aswell. Just got to swot up now on whether the cab needs spraying or not, and gotta suss out how the graphics are done. All good fun! :)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
The Dmd (or virtual Dmd) makes all the difference, but after yesterday's test run I wasn't happy as I was having to use the back glass monitor to view it. So decided to make 2 speaker panels...one with a real Dmd and one for the virtual 3rd monitor Dmd. And if all goes well they shouldn't be to much hassle to swap round. Having put in a 3rd monitor Dmd from an old TV today, it makes an even better game now it's in the right place. These cabs are definate not the easiest things to build but when everything is put into place it all starts to become worth it. Having the Dmd changes the game completely...or at least I feel it does. :)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
You are really doing the swap out dmd? Awesome!
Can't wait to see some pics or a new video...

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Which DMD did you get in the end? Also did you find a European supplier of the PinDMD2?

Went for the plasma kit from virtuapin. It comes with the pinr2d2 thing :) Hope it's all compatable...never thought...just presumed it is. I did select EU voltages....worried now :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Is there an option to add photos on here? I can't seem to find it. :(

On a mobile device, get yourself a Tapatalk account, use the Tapatalk app, and it lets you directly import images from your device. Well, it works on Android, so I assume the iOS version is the same. The images are automagically hosted by Tapatalk.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Wow, didn't realise it was that complicated. Was thinking there was just a way to 'click here to add image' drag and drop option. Ha ha...always looking for the easy route you see.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.