Cannot update from 1.0.9

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Ok i added the post for release links, someone will have to sticky it as I do not have admin rights or don't see it on the interface ;)

Just to get a feel for this issue, what seems to be the most common problem (aside from custom roms) as to why your device is getting filtered out, thanks!

N

Nik Barbour

Hey Ryan - thanks for the thread for downloads.

As to what's causing it - I don't think it's a custom rom or root issue, as I've flashed the stock rom back and hidden root with OTA rootkeeper app and still TPA is incompatible with this device.

When TPA first launched in feb the app was always hidden in the market. About version 1.0.8 it suddenly became visible without doing any build.prop fiddles. It was visible too in 1.0.9, but became 'incompatible with this device' again when 1.0.10 released.
These changes all occurred with the same Rom which I haven't changed since about April (certainly pre 1.0.8) when it first became visible.
I did once briefly try an ICS rom around March time , and TPA was visible with this rom, but had to go back to Gingerbread as it caused all sorts of camera and browser problems.

I noticed both osca and myself have HTC Desire S phones so don't know if it's device specific, and I don't know how stock osca's phone is.

I have contacted Google, but couldn't generate much interest, and they just sent a generic, one reply fits all questions type response email.

Can't think of anything else to help, narrow down on the problem.

Hope this helps! - thanks again Ryan!

Last edited:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks that does! It seems that some devices have this issue, so yes device specific....its almost like the firmware is reporting wrong or something, but its certainly off...

oska

Aug 6, 2012
Just for information my phone is totally stock. Never been rooted, so could be size. I'll check tomorrow on other app sizes to see if it maybe the issue.

Anyway, one very happy guy here. We had BK in our lounge for years when I lived at home, it replaced our old Firepower. It's great playing this again, even on such a small screen. I missed the sounds. Many thanks for the great work. I now need to try and get off it for some sleep.:cool:

N

Nik Barbour

Didn't realise there were file size download limits for specific devices!
Is there a way around this?
Nice call Carl BTW.

oska

Aug 6, 2012
From doing a quick search it seems the Desire S has a limit of 40MB, the .apk I downloaded was 38MB but maybe the Play version was larger. Or maybe they have different limits depending on country etc, cannot find anything specific and I cannot see a way round.

N

Nik Barbour

From doing a quick search it seems the Desire S has a limit of 40MB, the .apk I downloaded was 38MB but maybe the Play version was larger. Or maybe they have different limits depending on country etc, cannot find anything specific and I cannot see a way round.

One way round this is.....
Get Farsight to not bundle a table file with the .apk file , as is currently done.
That would half the file size!

Does this limit apply to other devices. Reason for asking is, i was faking all kinds of devices at last release, and it's only when i faked a nexus 7 that it let me have it.

Last edited:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I googled it and can't find any known restrictions due to file size, it will warn you to turn your wifi i hear, interesting...

N

Nik Barbour

There is an xda thread here mentioning 35mb limit
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1638875
Doesn't mean it's true though.

I thought max size was for any device and was 50mb.

Stuck in work so can't Google too much unfortunately.

Ryan - any chance of not bundling a table file with the apk to keep download size down?

Last edited:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
definitely, I will mention this to management. Good catch Mr. Spiby & Barbour ;). This also explains why it was available one month but not the other, the packaged table was smaller for that one.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.