Cirqus Voltaire DLC Gameplay Video

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Does look good but would be awesome to see in the other colors. Question for mike, can we ever expect to see any lighting on the iOS version? Even if it's just the iPad 3? There's such a stark contrast playing on the iPad after playing on the Xbox, looks amazingly sharp but so anaemic with no lighting.

It's being worked on. I don't know if/when it'll be working.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Looks like the TPA version is less colorful, also the dot matrix seems to be a little too orange. :(
I hope it is just the dark Youtube video.
Gameplay looks awesome!

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Will we see working displays on the cabinets of other games in the future? I know it's easier with this game since it's right there on the playfield, but just seeing that static Ripley's logo on the cabinet DMD is kind of weird.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Everyone asking for the different colors neons gave me an idea, maybe as an unlockable for beating standard goals and wizard goals, or even using the credits we win, we can unlock options to change the neon and big ball colors, or unlock access to the service menus a lot have asked for. Of course changes that affect gameplay should not count on Leaderboards, unless there are separate ones for modifications.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm very impressed, the ball has come a long way and the flipper bounce has been toned down a lot.

The lighting looks amazing. I can't wait for this update.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I'm very impressed, the ball has come a long way and the flipper bounce has been toned down a lot.

The lighting looks amazing. I can't wait for this update.

The question is, are physics and bounce determined on a table to table base, or a feature that can be tweaked from the central engine? The making-of video, and the difference between say, totan and ripleys makes me think it's the previous which mean the improved physics aren't automatically adjusted for all tables. Would love to hear FS/Mike's input on that.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
@FarSight...I was just wondering if the ringmaster in the video is an exact model of the ringmaster on your table or did your artists work their magic and create a hybrid of the sample and production ringmasters. Personally, I love the one you have in the video and think yours looks much better than the one that is used on most production tables, but I'm sure not everyone shares my opinion.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Ok to answer a few questions here. (If I didn't answer your question, I'm not allowed to comment on that yet)

I would like us to put the LCD Display on the cabinet itself. I would imagine at some point we'll do that. It's not really complicated just takes some time from the artists, and it's been a lower priority than getting the tables done and fixing issues with previous tables.

Physics are mostly controlled on a table per table, object per object basis. Some physics changes are done in engine, so those are global. I try to keep it as data driven as possible so the designers/producers can tweek them as much as they want. I imagine they'll go back and improve older tables as we learn better values.

The ringmaster was modeled after the one on our table.

There are 2 "types" of lighting affecting the Ringmaster. The first would be external lighting from the neon light. The second would be the internal lamps. The internal lamp is done using the same techniques for the floor lamps. Not sure why it would look like it's lit from the outside.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Also, I was hoping to see what you guys did with the backglass tech on Cirqus Voltaire, or are you saving that for later?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Ok to answer a few questions here. (If I didn't answer your question, I'm not allowed to comment on that yet)

I would like us to put the LCD Display on the cabinet itself. I would imagine at some point we'll do that. It's not really complicated just takes some time from the artists, and it's been a lower priority than getting the tables done and fixing issues with previous tables.

Physics are mostly controlled on a table per table, object per object basis. Some physics changes are done in engine, so those are global. I try to keep it as data driven as possible so the designers/producers can tweek them as much as they want. I imagine they'll go back and improve older tables as we learn better values.

The ringmaster was modeled after the one on our table.

There are 2 "types" of lighting affecting the Ringmaster. The first would be external lighting from the neon light. The second would be the internal lamps. The internal lamp is done using the same techniques for the floor lamps. Not sure why it would look like it's lit from the outside.

I find the animation you've chosen when the magnet pulses the captured ball on the elevated Ringmaster to be a little "tweaked".

On every production table I've seen, the inertia of the ball *never* makes the ringmaster move as shown in the video.

The ball jiggles randomly, then flies off the top of the ringmaster's head to some random place on the playfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-2wvvIDxIk&feature=player_detailpage#t=103s

While your animation is probably what the physical table designers wanted, it does not technically replicate "real life" table dynamics.

But it probably allows you to control ball release trajectory, therefore decreasing the likelyhood of balls being thrown into unplayable areas of the digital table.

And here ends my pedantic observation. ;)

Still can't wait to try this table out. It was received as a bit of an "earnings plank" locally here in Australia, but I loved it either way.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.