Columbia/Sony license - is a new deal possible?

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
I think the first deal with Columbia Pictures/Sony worked out pretty well.

Could they sign a new deal or extend the existing one to include more tables?

Still a handful of tables out there that FarSight could go after and none would be affected by the loss of Williams/Bally...

The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard (Data East)
Hook (Data East)
Krull (prototype - Gottlieb)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Gottlieb)
Charlie's Angels (Gottlieb)
Sinbad (Gottlieb)
Godzilla (SEGA)
Spider-Man (Stern)
Wheel of Fortune (Stern)

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I like this idea. Would be worth it for Tommy alone, the rest would be icing. It's possible Stern baked a digital license into their Spider-Man Vault edition, which means we'd get that and not the original and it wouldn't need to be tied in to any other deal.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I have often wondered why Hook wasn't tied into the original Sony deal. No additional licenses (actors, etc) so I would have thought of it as a no-brainer.

WesReviews

Jul 5, 2013
I have often wondered why Hook wasn't tied into the original Sony deal. No additional licenses (actors, etc) so I would have thought of it as a no-brainer.

The properties Spielberg is tied to might be a little different, as he may still have a hefty stake in what they do with them.

(Side note... why was there never an E.T. pinball table? Seemed like a shoe-in for one.)

Silverball67

Jan 1, 2015
If we made The Who table then you could hear the menu music in-game too!

Yeah, I´m a big Who-fan and I would leap for joy if we get this fantastic table, but unfortunately it´s not really a straight "WHO"-Table. The music is from the musical Version (Broadway-cast) from Townshend´s rock-opera "Tommy".

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Tommy is a super mode based pin. Plus the visor is just a cool idea. Here is a vid of Bowen showing us how it’s done.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The properties Spielberg is tied to might be a little different, as he may still have a hefty stake in what they do with them.

(Side note... why was there never an E.T. pinball table? Seemed like a shoe-in for one.)

Because have you played E.T. in FX3? Fast speedy pinball and slow as molasses alien just don't fit well together. I mean they did a good job and all, but my brain still doesn't like it.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I've played it. It's painfully dull.

5556651-1033063305-tumbl.gif

yespage

Oct 31, 2015
Yeah, I´m a big Who-fan and I would leap for joy if we get this fantastic table, but unfortunately it´s not really a straight "WHO"-Table. The music is from the musical Version (Broadway-cast) from Townshend´s rock-opera "Tommy".
But that is also the superior non-live version of it.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013

E.T. got a pretty bad reputation in gaming after the infamously terrible Atari 2600 game. (Although I actually liked it as a kid.)

But were movies even used as source material for pinballs around that time? Give or take the occasional Bally Star Trek, movies didn't really become tied to pinballs until like Back to the Future and Terminator 2. The T2 pinball was famously developed in isolation without knowledge of the movie's script, since nobody knew yet that it would be expected for a pinball to follow the movie's plot.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
But were movies even used as source material for pinballs around that time? Give or take the occasional Bally Star Trek, movies didn't really become tied to pinballs until like Back to the Future and Terminator 2. The T2 pinball was famously developed in isolation without knowledge of the movie's script, since nobody knew yet that it would be expected for a pinball to follow the movie's plot.

Only table I can think of at that time was Krull, which never even got released. I think Empire Strikes Back had a table, or did that come long after? Man, when you think of all the sci-fi and fantasy movies released in '82 and '83, some seriously cool licenses could have been applied. I still contend though that E.T. is a terrible pinball theme. The Thing on the other hand...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If Zen did it, I could totally imagine a 5 ball multiball where one of the balls is ‘infected’ and it drains your score rather than adding to it. The longer it’s in play, the more severe the point loss becomes (pray it doesn’t go into pop bumpers!) You wouldn’t lose balls until you figure out which ball it is and then shoot it into a ball lock. Shoot 3 of the remaining 4 into a cellar for safety before a timer releases the infected, otherwise one of those balls will be released also now infected (and it too will have to be locked).

That’s just my idea for making you paranoid while playing.

Members online

Members online