Comparing video with real?

Typical Charlie

Sep 4, 2012
I've played some real tables, and I find that although I enjoyed them a lot, the video games by Farsight are even better.

What do you think? Do you enjoy the real tables, or the video game tables better?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
(in Buzz the gopher's voice from NGG) Was that REALLY necessary?

EDIT: No worries, Mark, I wasn't offended. But I think we should keep that kind of stuff from rising beyond innuendo (like this sentence). We do have minors here.

SECOND EDIT: Speaking of innuendo, I guess that since FarSight has announced Scared Stiff, they either are willing to accept a higher rating than E10+ or have found a way around it? Scared Stiff is prone to saying saucy things at times, more so than Medieval Madness's damsels.

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I've played some real tables, and I find that although I enjoyed them a lot, the video games by Farsight are even better.

What do you think? Do you enjoy the real tables, or the video game tables better?

TPA is great, but there's no true substitute for the real thing. Real pinball is harder and more unpredictable, and there's a special attraction to the fact that you're knocking around a real ball with physical flippers.

That's provided that the table is in good repair! A broken table with targets that don't register or weak flippers that can't get the ball up the ramps is worse than a simulation.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
TPA is great, but there's no true substitute for the real thing. Real pinball is harder and more unpredictable, and there's a special attraction to the fact that you're knocking around a real ball with physical flippers.

That's provided that the table is in good repair! A broken table with targets that don't register or weak flippers that can't get the ball up the ramps is worse than a simulation.

this

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Bugs aside, the nice thing about TPA is that the table works and never breaks down. The last time that I played a pinball table in real life in which everything worked perfectly was the last time I was at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas. Every table that I find in the wild has something wrong with it. But most of them are still fun to a certain point. Real pinball tables are finicky but I think that is also part of their charm. The last Medieval Madness that I ran into near my home had issues with the left flipper and was way off balance...so I only dropped $5 worth of quarters into it! :D

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Hahaha, no, it's a wonderful thing, and great job on the fix, BG.

It's funny, pinball was such a big part of my life growing up, and the market crashed right as I went off to college. After that, when I reentered the real world, I'd kind of forgotten how much I used to enjoy it. But man oh man, the first time I fired up TPA and played Theatre of Magic, I was right back to the greasy pizza parlors of my youth.

And since then, I've probably made trips to 20 or more places to find machines (including an absolute paradise in Denver called 1up) and am drooling over the upcoming Chicago Pinball Expo. Plus, I built myself a mini virtual cabinet for good measure. I love video pinball, and can't thank Farsight enough for bringing Pinball back into my life, but TPA will NEVER do more than temporarily satisfy my cravings for the real thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.