Data East/Sega tables

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Thinking about this...

As we all know, the Stern Pinball license TPA has also applies to the tables done by both Data East and Sega's pinball divisions. What I've been wondering is a little stupid, but anyway... does this mean that FarSight will also have to license the companies' names, or will the tables be edited to have the Stern logo instead? 'Cause the fact that they're mentioned by name on the PS4 version's announcement and the fact there's a registered symbol next to them might mean they're licensing the Data East and Sega names too, but who knows.

Cheers.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I assumed a Data East table would say Data East on it. But I don't think we know for sure. I'm sure it will say curtesy of Stern in the credits somewhere, but I hope a Sega pin has Sega on the backglass.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Interesting question! Not sure about Sega, but Farsight should be able to use the Data East name without any problems. Stern owns all of Data East's pinball assets and they should be able to use the name.

Edit: Reworded post!

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Interesting question! Not sure about Sega, but Farsight should be able to use the Data East name without any problems. Stern owns all of Data East's assets including the name.

Do they? Really? 'Cause honestly the ownership of Data East properties after they (as in the main Japanese division of Data East) went bankrupt ten years ago is quite a mess. G-mode is the owner of the Data East name and most of its properties (other companies own certain IPs, such as Paon who own Karnov and Chelnov, but not the characters themselves, just the games, as a few of the DE games G-mode's re-released so far still keep their cameos and references intact)

Unless Stern Pinball actually partly own the Data East name amongside G-mode and others.

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Imagining TFTC with a big, gawdy photoshopped Stern logo slapped on it made me laugh.

Haha. That's pretty much what I'd imagine might happen.

Someone from FarSight should clear this up, unless they're not allowed to say so due to contractual reasons. And I don't think they've announced any DE/Sega tables either.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Do they? Really? 'Cause honestly the ownership of Data East properties after they (as in the main Japanese division of Data East) went bankrupt ten years ago is quite a mess. G-mode is the owner of the Data East name and most of its properties (other companies own certain IPs, such as Paon who own Karnov and Chelnov, but not the characters themselves, just the games, as a few of the DE games G-mode's re-released so far still keep their cameos and references intact)

Unless Stern Pinball actually partly own the Data East name amongside G-mode and others.
I'm not really 100% sure how far the ownership goes, but according to an old Electronic Gaming Monthly article that I read in the past (written back in 2000). Stern does have the right to use their name for those pinball machines, since they own their pinball assets (along with Sega's).

It could be a different story for FarSight though with the digital reproductions.

I changed my previous post to reflect this.

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
I'm not really 100% sure how far the ownership goes, but according to an old Electronic Gaming Monthly article that I read in the past (written back in 2000). Stern does have the right to use their name for those pinball machines, since they own their pinball assets (along with Sega's).

It could be a different story for FarSight though with the digital reproductions.

Could be, since at that time Data East was still alive, so maybe Stern had some licensing contract with them allowing the use of the name. If that's changed it would be interesting to know. I'm guessing the one they will have to license is the Sega name and logo.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Imagining TFTC with a big, gawdy photoshopped Stern logo slapped on it made me laugh.

I don't know if this makes me a good person or a terrible person then...

2ikjmnR.jpg

I couldn't help myself.

With that out of the way,
I would hope that they could use the company names for those specific products. As a huge Sega fan, I'd love to see their logo shine up at me from anything they released in the past.

EDIT:

Just realized I missed the DE logo under the DMD. Whatevs.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
I would hope that they could use the company names for those specific products. As a huge Sega fan, I'd love to see their logo shine up at me from anything they released in the past.

It's exactly what I'm hoping too. I'd love to see the Sega logo on there.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I don't know if this makes me a good person or a terrible person then...

2ikjmnR.jpg

I couldn't help myself.

With that out of the way,

EDIT:

Just realized I missed the DE logo under the DMD. Whatevs.

Or maybe leave the Data East logos on there while slapping on the Stern Pinball logo. Same company, different names.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Data East Star Wars is one of my favorite tables. Had one at the movie theater I worked at and I played the heck out of that thing. Now to see about those pesky licenses...

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Star Wars, which is now owned by Disney, while Zen Pinball now has the license to release Star Wars themed video pinball.
Yeah, I totally see that happening :p

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Hey I didn't say it would be easy (or even possible), just said that I would love to see it!

My hope is that Zen's license is just for original creations using the Star Wars license. I thought I read something about that being the case for the Marvel license, but I could be wrong there.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
They won't be able to do any of the SEGA pins with the large DMDs, half the screen will be taken up with it on mobile devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts